Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 02-17-2021, 03:42 AM   #1
Loneoak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19514
How long can you keep fresh water?

We normally winter in Florida, but not this year because the border is closed.

The park we stay at is wonderful, we love the people there. This year they are having problems with the water system (they are on a well). A water main broke on Sunday (it's now Wednesday) and they are still working on fixing it. In the meantime, there is no water.

There have been some temporary issues in the past, but never this long. We always fill our fresh water 1/3 when we arrive and change the water every month. I suggested to DH that next season, we fill it full. He doesn't want to go through the process of dumping and refilling that much water.

He sanitizes the tank twice a year.

My question: how long can you keep water in the fresh water tank before it is no longer safe? We do not drink it, but we do use it for cooking, washing and brushing teeth. Would it b safe to fill it full on arrival and only dump it when we leave?

2017 High Country 305RL
2015 Ford F-250 Super Duty
Loneoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 04:54 AM   #2
DebNJim B
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21158
First it depends on your source. We winter in NW GA and fill ours up when we set up in the fall. We keep it just in case our city water might freeze. We have a heated hose but sometimes the spigot freezes if the temps drops overnight. In fact we're using the FW right now during this cold snap. Anyhow I leave it all winter and will drain it in the spring when we get home.
Just use the onboard water once in a while to check it. If you start to get the slightest smell of rotten eggs then drain it. Otherwise you should be good.

DebNJim B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 05:33 AM   #3
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
Assuming the water you put in is clean and filtered and you are sanitizing the tank every six months, you should be able to keep water between tank fills, every six months, without concern. Especially if you are not drinking it as a primary water source. I typically travel with about 15 gallons of fresh water for flushing, washing hands, etc. We never drink water from a CG or the fresh water tank, so I am much less concerned about it. I carry fresh water for drinking, cooking and pets in bottles and gallon jugs.
I know you will ingest some water when showering or brushing your teeth, but that should be minimal.
RMcNeal is offline   Reply With Quote