Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 12-22-2004, 04:26 AM   #1
Thunderman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #920
Using second a/c wiring for another outlet.

Would like some advice if possible. I have a 2955rl and it was wired for the second a/c which I don't think I will ever use. I am considering pulling the a/c wire from the ceiling area to the breaker area....I would route that wire toward the rear for another electrical outlet. Has anyone done this or do you think I would be unable to pull the wire back. The extra outlet would be used for a 1500 watt Holmes heater. The outlet would be connected to the existing 20 amp breaker orignally intended for the a/c.
Thanks and MERRY CHRISTMAS to all!

Thunderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2004, 05:40 AM   #2
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
It sounds like a good idea to me. I think I'd securely tape another wire or maybe small rope to the wire before you pull it out, then leave the rope in place in case you ever need to pull it back the other way for some reason.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2004, 05:43 AM   #3
Dennis and Carol
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #53
Thunderman, rather than try to pull the existing wire, I would think it would be much easier to run new wire to the outlet. Also, there may be other outlets, lights, etc. on that circuit. You can test that by turning off the breaker and seeing if everything still works, especially in the bedroom area. Good luck with your project, we have had issues at times trying to run electric heaters without kicking the breakers.

Dennis and Carol
Dennis and Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2004, 07:44 AM   #4
Thunderman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #920
Steve, thanks for the reply..I think you have a good idea, leaving the small rope or wire in the ceiling to retrieve if necessary.

Dennis and Carol, It might be just as easy to run another wire and I may do that. There are no other connections on the line in question, I have the breaker off now. I am trying to solve the problem of the breaker going off when the heater is in use. So far, heater does work most of the time if it is set on low. The a/c breaker is a 20.
Thanks for your help!
Old 12-22-2004, 09:37 AM   #5
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
There's nothing else on our 2nd-AC prep breaker, either. So I'm following your post with interest. I've thought about running a new line from that breaker but haven't figured out how to route the wiring through the walls. Or without dropping the belly pan. If you succeed in getting this line run, would appreciate a post with the details.
Thanks.
Old 12-22-2004, 11:26 AM   #6
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Weldon and Carolyn
Where did you find the wiring for the second A/C. I have an 04 2955RL and there is no wiring that I have ever seen for a second A/C. I also thought that rigs with a second A/C, or just wired for a second A/C were all set up with 50 AMP?
I do know the 05 2955RL are coming thru 50 AMP but my 04 is 30.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2004, 12:59 PM   #7
Montana_657
Montana Master

M.O.C. #657
Don't try to pull that wire!!! How do you pull a wire from under staples, romex straps an other fasteners??? Without damage??? That wire must be secured in order to be code.

Remove the wire from the breaker and attach a tag identifying it for future use. If you use the 20 amp breaker supplied you must use #12 gauge wire. If you switch to a 15 amp breaker you can use #14 gauge wire.

Run a new wire to where you want the new circuit. Ensure you use the appropriate clamps, clips, boxes and other hardware required by the code, and your all set.
Montana_657 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2004, 01:36 AM   #8
Broome101
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1832
Gruffy is correct. They have staples holding wire to studs and rafters. You more than likely will tear the wiring sheath if you pull it. FYI
Broome101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2004, 02:21 AM   #9
NJ Hillbilly
Montana Master

M.O.C. #242
I put a receptacle under the oven and used the 2nd a/c breaker for it. I use it for a heater or the toaster oven that rides inside our oven. The cord reaches fine and I don't take it out to use it.

John
NJ Hillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2004, 03:42 AM   #10
Thunderman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #920
Steve I will let you know how the project turns out, should not be a problem running the wire from the breaker box. I think the wire can be run under the cabinets with out much trouble.

Glenn and Lorraine, the outlet is almost in the center of the bedroom, it has a blank cover over the box. Wiring inside is yellow. Our trailer does have the 50 amp service, it was manufactured in April 2003. We bought it in Feb. 2004. Strange yours is 30 amp. Mine also had 8 lug aluminum wheels for E rated tires. The tires are larger than the I.D. tag on the side of unit indicates.

Gruffy, there is about 12" of slack in the wire if you pull on it from the ceiling. I would pull from the other end if I did pull it. I was hoping someone had tried this in the past and could tell me if there were romex straps or clips holding the wire. I don't think all work is up to code. I will be using the 20 amp breaker and will surely use the 12 gauge wire.
I do appreciate your input. Thanks to all!
Old 12-23-2004, 04:52 AM   #11
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Thunderman
Glenn and Lorraine, the outlet is almost in the center of the bedroom, it has a blank cover over the box. Wiring inside is yellow. Our trailer does have the 50 amp service, it was manufactured in April 2003. We bought it in Feb. 2004. Strange yours is 30 amp. Mine also had 8 lug aluminum wheels for E rated tires. The tires are larger than the I.D. tag on the side of unit indicates.
Our 2004 came off line in early May 2003, (May 8th I think). In the center of ceiling in the bedroom are 2- 12 volt ceiling lights and a vent. Other than the A/C vents off to the side there is nothing else on the ceiling.
I'm kind of glad I'm only 30 amp as some campgrounds do charge extra for 50 amp whether you use it or not. If you have a 50 amp plug you pay extra. In one cg it was $5.00 a night.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2004, 06:08 AM   #12
NJ Hillbilly
Montana Master

M.O.C. #242
Weldon, just pull the drawers out of the cabinets and You will see the other wires run there. Most are tie wrapped to a staple or other thing to somewhat keep them in place. I think tie wraps are used since they won't chafe wires as easy and it takes skilled labor to hammer in a staple.

You can get rennovation electrical boxes that only need a hole cut in the paneling to be mounted. A little tab swings out on top and bottom and pulls tight with a screw.

John

John
NJ Hillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2004, 08:20 AM   #13
Thunderman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #920
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by NJ Hillbilly

Weldon, just pull the drawers out of the cabinets and You will see the other wires run there. Most are tie wrapped to a staple or other thing to somewhat keep them in place. I think tie wraps are used since they won't chafe wires as easy and it takes skilled labor to hammer in a staple.

You can get rennovation electrical boxes that only need a hole cut in the paneling to be mounted. A little tab swings out on top and bottom and pulls tight with a screw.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
John, sounds like that is what I need to do. Guess I better head off to Home Depot. Thanks!

John
Old 12-23-2004, 11:39 AM   #14
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Weldon, thanks. Trouble with ours is the breakers are below the coat closet next to the front door, on the wall between upstairs and downstairs. I'd want the outlet to go to the kitchen area at the back of the 3295. I'd either have to run it up and through the ceiling or down and through the belly. And there's the slides along both sides as well. I'll have to give this more thought.

Glenn, we've never paid more for 30 amp even though we have 50amp service. In just one park they stated they would charge for it just because we "might" decide to use it and I showed them my adapter for 50/30 and they said ok. Otherwise when they ask if we have 50 amp service I say yes but we'll use the 30amp cord and they're fine with that. If you run across any who will require me to pay more, let me know so I can put them on my avoid list.
Old 12-27-2004, 03:19 PM   #15
Montana_1424
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1424
This topic has me thinking of adding one or 2 additional outlets on my extra AC circut. My question is do I use just regular 12/2 wiring, like household wiring? Is wiring this all up pretty mu the same, run the wire to one or 2 outlets, then to the breaker?
I am very interested.
Maybe even put some kind of ceiling fan in the bedroom.

Thanks for the input
Montana_1424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004, 07:49 AM   #16
Thunderman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #920
Well the job is complete, running 12/2 wire from the extra 20 amp a/c breaker to a new receptacle. As John suggested I removed the drawers from under the kitchen counter and ran the wire under the cabinet. Not to difficult on the 2955RL. Only minor problem was I did not allow for the extra length of wire needed due to going over the hot water heater, down to existing hole in cabinet wall where other wires run then over the furnace. In my case I needed about 5 more feet of wire than originally anticipated. But all ended well and we have the new receptacle in place. Thanks for the information I requested and received.
Old 12-28-2004, 02:20 PM   #17
jerryb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #137
On our 3280 the outlet for the washer and dryer is on the 2nd a/c circut and thats all, we don't have a washer or dryer so the only thing on that circut is an electric heater, the door has enough gap to run the cord underneath.
jerryb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004, 04:50 AM   #18
Chester
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #908
Glenn, "wire and Frame for 2nd AC" is an option on Montanas so if your unit doesn't have that option you won't find the wire. (PS: I have the full list of dealer options for both 2004 and 2005 Montanas). I'm considering ordering it on our new unit next week just in case we decide we want to add the second AC at a later date.
Chester is offline   Reply With Quote