Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 02-06-2009, 11:50 AM   #1
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Pay it forward

It really doesn’t have to be as risky and complicated as the movie of the same name, but the concept is something that will make you smile when you are alone, or a very good story to tell you grand- children to just make them better people.
What harm could come from helping someone and requesting no payment, nothing but helping three other persons to repay the gesture.
I am working on a project, installing a new walk in freezer door, new walk in cooler evaporator and condenser, (the inside parts and outside parts) on a space my customer is opening up, he is changing locations with a successful bar and restaurant. I used the restroom in the space under construction, and noticed the urinal was not working, the water was shut off to it. I also knew that a rebuild kit was inexpensive and the time to rebuild the valve was about 5 minutes. A plumber would have to charge parts time to pick up the part, travel time to the location, and a minimum service call. Oh, and the parts charge. So, you would look at a $150.00 repair.
The part cost me $13.00, I fixed it and told the owner to ‘Pay it forward’,
Help three people with something. I know he will do it. He is a good man.
This makes me think of my sweet wife, Sue. She so often does nice thoughtful things she just considers a way of living her life. I grumble about minor irritating things, sometimes I do think I am a grouch. I try not to be, but I’m not perfect. My coffee creamers come in compact little plastic tubs. With my big hands and short fingernails, it is just impossible for me to open one of the little guys. I grab a sharp knife and peel back the tab grumbling all the while. One morning I came out into the kitchen to get coffee and all the little tabs were sticking up so I could grab them. I know some would say that she tired of my grumbling, but I know her, and I know she did it to make my life better, in a small way maybe, but she is that kind of a person.
We noticed a bunch of little furry worms, kind of cute, on our new fence I was building. We had lots of tiny red bugs on the new pickets, I guess the cute little wooly worms were feeding on the unfortunate red bugs. I would see the fuzzy guys and move them so they wouldn’t get squished. When it got cold out, I noticed a little black fur-ball on a clean white rag, inside our unheated hot tub room. Sue had rescued one of them and laid it out on the rag, it will probably thaw this spring and resume consuming little red bugs.
She is a pay-it-forward kind of gal.
Wouldn’t it be a better world if we all were?

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 11:54 AM   #2
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I more folks thought like and did what you did and suggest it would be a much better world.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 02:55 AM   #3
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Ozz, I agree 100% when I was in the Landscape/Lawn care business, I did a lot of free lawn care for free. My equipment was high dollar (John Deere Green) if you know what I mean, most all of my big mowers cost $10,000 plus. But when those little old ladies would ask how much do you charge it was always much less and in some cases, I would just say the job didn't take that long and wouldn't charge nothing. It has repaid me a thousand fold.

Delaine is the same way, when we went full timing we had a yard sale and in some cases she would give things away, I couldn't understand, but now I know. Its always better to give than to receive. Each time we would get a new 5th wheel we would give the TV's away, the looks on their face when you give someone a new 27" TV or a 19". Was in Texas one time and gave away a new RV couch and two ultra leather chairs the expression on their face is worth more than money. As a matter of fact Delaine has given our 92" RV couch to a Amish girl who is getting married in June. Its always better to pay it forward. GBY.....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 02:58 AM   #4
Andy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5871
Thanks Ozz, I needed that.
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 04:16 AM   #5
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
Thanks Ozz. My DW, a nurse, has been a poster girl of the pay it forward concept for all of her working years and as the phrase goes she has taught me to be a better man as well. With the economic times being what they are the need to pay it forward can be found everywhere.
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 09:53 AM   #6
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
Thanks, Ozz. Go give Sue a hug from me.

Pam
bob n pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 03:30 PM   #7
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Thanks Ozz.
I think there is a little in a large majority of members of the MOC from what I have seen.

I was sitting in a restaurant and noticed a gentleman eating that appeared a little "out of place." I know the owner well and asked if the gentleman was homeless and he confirmed my suspicions. I then asked who paid for his meal, and the owner stated that he typically it is free, but some times the gentleman insists he has money and pays.

When we got up to leave I stopped by the table and asked the man where he ate breakfast at and he replied, "Whataburger." When I asked what it cost him, if I remember correctly, "$4.00." I gave him a $5 dollar bill and said breakfast is on me tomorrow. His smile and thank you was rewarding enough, but over the years I have had it paid forward to me a few times and I always try to pay it forward again.

Edited: Oh! Next time I was in the resturant, desert was free.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 05:54 PM   #8
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
We have a rule whereby we do at least one random act of kindness for someone everyday. It runs the gamut of little things that help people like helping a lady put her groceries in her car; occupying the mind of a little child for a distraught mother; stopping and asking a stranded motorist if you can help them. There are so many things one can do without asking for repayment. We have been blessed beyond whatever you can comprehend. People have a hard time believing that anyone in this day and age will help them without some ulterior motive.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 03:52 AM   #9
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
Oz, thanks for your post. This reminds everyone to do this. I am sure lots of people on MOC do anyway. This is a great feel good post.

My DH helps people too. A guy was having problems with electrical on 5th wheel down from us. I sent DH there and he found the problem. Saved this guy a service call. And it is $80 here just to look. We have given so many things away can't remember all of them. Over the years gave turkeys to poor families so they could have Christmas dinner. You are right, the look on their face is thanks enough. Gave several TV's away over the years. Gave 3 of them when we sold the house.
Gave our lawn tractor and table saw away, to our neighbor because he was so good to plow our drive ways in the snow over the years. So we paid it back somewhat.
Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 05:37 AM   #10
ehmcfarl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8206
I have learned a lot of things from my DW also. One has been to "give unconditionally". I used to not give money to the "street bums as they are called" who are asking for money, because I would say that "they are just going to go buy more alcohol with the money". My wife says it doesn't matter what they do with the money once you have given it, "your role is to give it and not complain what they do with it". One morning very early when I was still working, on the drive in I saw a man, dirty, sitting on an old bag by the side of the road at an intersection, looking very rejected and lonely. I had to stop for traffic at the intersection and while looking at the man and wondering what he would do today I had a very strong urging to call the man over to my car and give him some money. I only had $25 in my pocket that morning and I removed the $20 dollar bill and gave it to the old man. He looked me in the eyes and said "thank you so much, you have kept me from getting the DTs today, God bless you". I realized that the man had just told me that he was going to go buy alcohol with the money that I had just given him, and somehow it just didn't bother me anymore. I just felt good for having helped a man in need. At that time I truly learned that it really doesn't matter what the person does with what you give them, it will still make you feel good, and I believe you are blessed for doing it.
ehmcfarl is offline   Reply With Quote