Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 10-22-2013, 01:20 PM   #1
Allen in MT
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7615
Powerless in my Monty sort of

To start on my 05 3400rl I have 120v power to the slide out with desk and tv, power to the microwave and power to the bedroom. No power to fridge or kitchen plugs, light over table, fan and light or any of the plug in's in living area.
There is power going to all the breakers in the power box, all breakers are on, no fuses are blown, the power junction box outside under living room slide has no loose wires.
I did replace a burned GFI plug the other day, is it possiblethis plug feeds all the others and could be a bad plug.
10 days from leaving for warmer weather and this crops up.
Any suggestions out there??
thanks

Allen in MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 01:56 PM   #2
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
There are many things to check. First I suggest checking power from the pedestal. Do you have a EMS that will tell you if one of the two legs off the 50 amp connection is bad? If not I suggest you plug into the 30 amp feed and see if your lights all work. If so then the problem is at the pedestal.

If the pedestal is good then do you have a multi meter and know how to use it. This involves probing potentially hot (energized wires). If your not comfortable DO NOT try to learn now. How do you know there is power to all the breakers? Fuses are 12 volts and on a different energy source.

Yes it might be possible the replaced GFI is the culprit. Check your wiring there (ENSURE ALL AC POWER IS DISCONNECTED).

Let us know what you find.

You mention a replaced GFI.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 02:25 PM   #3
Allen in MT
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7615
Thanks John
I did test the breakers with a tester and power to the breakers, The wires going to the back of the GFI are hot so I'm thinking a bad GFI. In the morning I'm going to get another to try.
Old 10-23-2013, 06:54 AM   #4
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Try turning off, then turning on each breaker. Sometimes they will be tripped inside but the switch doesn't shut off. Don't ask me for the explanation, I've just seen this. Other than checking the GFCI is reset or working correctly, that's the next thing I'd try assuming this GFCI controls the kitchen circuits in question.

Go through the rig and reset ALL other GFCIs you can find. I have three that I recall in total (Bathroom - replaced this one once, the kitchen and even one in the living room because the exterior outlet is connected to that circuit.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 07:45 AM   #5
capn chris
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2586
Send a message via AIM to capn chris Send a message via Yahoo to capn chris
What John said. If that doesn't solve it, you might check the power cord connections. I had a connection in the male plug come loose. Reconnected wires and voila!
capn chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 02:52 PM   #6
Allen in MT
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7615
Ok got it. The GFI that had melted on a contact still worked when I found it so I replaced it and left, didn't bother trying it out. Well I took the new one out and the wire going to it were hot so it was a bad new GFI, replaced it and everything works fine now. going to have to remember when changing something try it out before leaving.
thanks for your input
Old 10-23-2013, 02:56 PM   #7
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Glad you got it working. Those are hard to trouble shoot because you know it is new and "WORKS". Well it is suppose too. Safe travels.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote