Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 09-15-2012, 02:58 AM   #21
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
It is a defective tank.Split at the seam or at the inlet pipe.We had FIVE leaking tanks on our 06 3400.

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 04:15 AM   #22
bighornram
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11619
My next day off I'm going out and filling my gray tanks to the drain. Bet I'll find water in the belly. If I do I hope Keystone will fix it. When the dealer said no sign of the leak I sent my video to Keystone to put in the file documenting water in the belly. Warranty ended in July and have not had water in the belly after 4 trips out. Sounds like overfilling the tanks will tell the tale....
bighornram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 04:45 AM   #23
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bikefever

Thanks for responding. Here is an update. Ran further tests and was able to duplicate the water in belly issue while laying on my back under the RV. We filled each grey tank until the sinks/bath stopped draining. Grey1 (shower and ath sink) had no indication of a leak when full. Grey 2 (kitchen sink) started leaking into the belly when the sink no longer drained and the tank was full. Immediately opened grey 2 drain valve and leak stopped while tank was emptying.

We are now keeping Grey 2 drain valve open at all times.

We wander if the over fill situation is a built in safety issue. What are your thoughts?
This is EXACTLY what our kitchen galley tank was doing when I found the cracked area at the drain connection, you can see the grey-white stain on the black tank where the water ran down and dripped off the bottom. I suppose the tank could be cracked elsewhere, one could verify that by examining the tank with the bottom cover off.
See the brown stain running to the left on the bottom of the tank?

Before repair:

After repair:

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 07:03 AM   #24
bighornram
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11619
I've filled my galley and gray tanks up to the sinks. Found a tiny leak on the shower drain that I was able to tighten by hand. I can see the inlet on the gray tank and it is dry. That is all I can get a look at from behind the utility center. I'll wait it out a few days and see if any makes it's way to the belly. I can rule out the fresh tank as I filled it to the gills before leaving my last two times out. The black would have been dirty water when it ran out of the belly. Thanks for the tip about these tanks leaking like this by the way!
bighornram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 07:22 AM   #25
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
This sheet-metal plate is right at the drain outlet, you could shallow-cut a square and check it out without dropping the bottom.

Old 09-15-2012, 08:48 AM   #26
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Something to consider, when you take anything and mold it, often the form-fitting process makes any shape thinner and weaker. Unless you atart with a thicker material and figure in the thinning of the form-fit, it will be thin at that point and weaker.
My money would be the tank makers dont...
I often take a failed part apart and cut it up to see why it failed.
Old 09-18-2012, 12:25 PM   #27
dandt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7142
YES..having fixed as we speak!!!!!!! It was from the leaking galley tank. Having someone put a camera up there and checking things out. We are using our extended warrenty to get a bunch of things taken care of....toilet seal, saniflush, DVD player, leaking faucet in kitchen, plug seperation on 50amp plug, drian on back of refrigerator.. just made a list and almost everything we wrote on it is covered. Sometimes things just work out.
dandt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 12:37 PM   #28
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Yeaaaa! Good luck on the fixes!