Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HEY KEYSTONE! > What I'd like to say if...
Click Here to Login

Old 08-26-2006, 04:00 AM   #1
haslcs
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6202
slide out floor

has any one had trouble with their living room slide out floor giving out? if so how did they fix it? i have a 06 2955rl. they repaired it by puting a piece of 3/8 plywood over it now my floor is not level and when you set at the table two of the legs are on the 3/8 ply wood and the other two are on the level floor so you sit at an angle. please let me know if you have had this problem and how you deal with it. thank you

haslcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 05:26 AM   #2
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
I believe I would be back at that dealers door step with a very bad attitude. Sounds like a repair tech didn't know what he was doing, or didn't care, and did the easiest, cheapest thing he could think of.

Lonnie
2006 Montana 3000RK, Reciever Hitch for Boat and Toy Trailer
2003 F250 CC PSD, LB, 6 Speed Manual Trans., 4X4, Air Suspension, Husky 15K Hitch
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 07:25 AM   #3
txkrumm
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5920
I got this one covered. Two weeks ago while Tara and I were loading up our 3655fl, we found that the dining room slide floor had severe water damage and oneside was rotted through.
This is how Tara and I fixed it, no dealers here. First thing disconnect ALL Power. Then remove the carpet, it is stapled all the way around. Next is a layer of foam padding, pull these staples carefully. Next is the heat barrier, again pull staples. Now, you need to disconnect the wiring, There was a 12 volt and 110 harness. They also tied a knot in the wires so they won't pull out. Remove the electrical box and untie the knot. Pull wires out the bottom. Put wire nuts on the hot ends. You will need power later.

The hardest part of this job is supporting the slide while you remove the floor. The floor is screwed to the bottoms of the walls. Look really carefully for the screws in the corners close to the inside. On mine there were three stove head bolts that attach the slide to the slide mechanism. At this time it will help if you have several strong bodies. You need to hold the slide up and pull the rams in, leaving the slide hanging. It will also help if you remove the tall cross piece that supports the slide underneath, gives you more clearance. The floor comes out from the inside of the camper. When you have the floor out, remove the staples holing the protective wrap on the floor and if it is in good shape, reuse that on the new floor. It will also help locate the screw holes. I used one grade below Marine plywood, 3/4 inch. The inside bottom edge is beveled. Everything goes back in reverse order. First time was difficult, on a scale of 1 to 10, I give it a 7. This job took a whole saturday to complete, about 10 hours. Tara and I are still debating where the water came from.
Good luck, if you take this on, but if you have the time, go back to your dealer and make him fix it right. Steve k.

P.S. I have pictures, but need help posting. I can email them, if anyone is interested.

Steve and Tara Krumm
2004 GMC 4X4 Duramax Allison
2003 Montana 3655 FL

[img]http://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniWeather04/language/www/US/MT/Livingston.gif" border=0
alt="Click for Livingston, Montana Forecast" height=50 width=150[/img]
txkrumm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 08:51 AM   #4
haslcs
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6202
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by txkrumm

I got this one covered. Two weeks ago while Tara and I were loading up our 3655fl, we found that the dining room slide floor had severe water damage and oneside was rotted through.
This is how Tara and I fixed it, no dealers here. First thing disconnect ALL Power. Then remove the carpet, it is stapled all the way around. Next is a layer of foam padding, pull these staples carefully. Next is the heat barrier, again pull staples. Now, you need to disconnect the wiring, There was a 12 volt and 110 harness. They also tied a knot in the wires so they won't pull out. Remove the electrical box and untie the knot. Pull wires out the bottom. Put wire nuts on the hot ends. You will need power later.

The hardest part of this job is supporting the slide while you remove the floor. The floor is screwed to the bottoms of the walls. Look really carefully for the screws in the corners close to the inside. On mine there were three stove head bolts that attach the slide to the slide mechanism. At this time it will help if you have several strong bodies. You need to hold the slide up and pull the rams in, leaving the slide hanging. It will also help if you remove the tall cross piece that supports the slide underneath, gives you more clearance. The floor comes out from the inside of the camper. When you have the floor out, remove the staples holing the protective wrap on the floor and if it is in good shape, reuse that on the new floor. It will also help locate the screw holes. I used one grade below Marine plywood, 3/4 inch. The inside bottom edge is beveled. Everything goes back in reverse order. First time was difficult, on a scale of 1 to 10, I give it a 7. This job took a whole saturday to complete, about 10 hours. Tara and I are still debating where the water came from.
Good luck, if you take this on, but if you have the time, go back to your dealer and make him fix it right. Steve k.

P.S. I have pictures, but need help posting. I can email them, if anyone is interested.

Steve and Tara Krumm
2004 GMC 4X4 Duramax Allison
2003 Montana 3655 FL

[img]http://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniWeather04/language/www/US/MT/Livingston.gif" border=0
alt="Click for Livingston, Montana Forecast" height=50 width=150[/img]

howard a. shaw
Old 08-26-2006, 09:15 AM   #5
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by txkrumm

Steve, Go to Adding A Photo To Your Signature
or to a Forum Post or Reply

You will find instructions on posting a picture(s).
If you have any questions PM me.

Glenn
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 01:14 PM   #6
haslcs
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6202
thanks steve but this is still under warranty. this is what keystone told my dealer to do. i have talked to keystone customer service person named tony and his super brandon. they said this is the way they fix it. and tony told my dealer that if i wanted a flush floor i could pay to have it fixed my self. my next step is to call the pres. of keystone then the head at thor.

howard a. shaw