Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Full Timing in your Montana
Click Here to Login

Old 06-19-2006, 03:07 PM   #1
Wagonmaster
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3754
Passport?

Since we might go to Mexico and Canada when we fulltime, I was wondering how many of you have gotten passports since the 9-11 attack? Jack

Wagonmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 04:15 PM   #2
Hemlockusa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4766
I there Wagonmaster -- Christa and I got our passports last year before we headed for the Rio Grande Valley. Come to find out the first of this year Feb. They still didn't require them coming and going in Mexico. I have a feeling though that this coming winter and spring the passports will be required.
In this day and age, I think it's a darn good idea to have that paperwork with you... I do think that the US Postoffice is charging through the nose for fee's though.

OH If they tell you for an additional fee the passport will get there quicker?????? We didn't pay for this fast service and got it a two weeks sooner than my neighbors and they paid an additional $20.00 eash I believe.

Stay safe on the Road John H
Hemlockusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 04:26 PM   #3
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have had passports for many years and just got them renewed.You don't need them for Canada and Mexico YET..but soon will.It is a good idea to have them.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 01:26 AM   #4
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
The last we have heard regarding passports is that everyone in Canada and the U.S. will require passports to fly out of these countries in 2007 and that everyone crossing a ground border will require them by 2008.
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 02:46 AM   #5
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
I got this post off of Royal Carribbean's web site. We cruise alot so we already have our passports. I am not sure about traveling by ground but I would think if it isn't in place it will be shortly.

Quote:
quote:
Effective December 31, 2006 the U.S. Government's Intelligence Reform Bill requires passports for all air and sea travel to or from Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, the Caribbean and Bermuda. Don't risk disrupting your travel plans! If you are planning travel for 2007 or beyond, please take a minute to review the new regulations below. If you don't already have a valid passport, be sure to avoid the rush and give yourself plenty of time to apply for one. Once you've got a passport in hand, the whole world is yours to explore.

Quote:
quote:
Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 04:12 AM   #6
RonS
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1316
Have been hearing about a travlers CARD which can be used for land travel to both Canada and Mexico, and with this card no passport is required. Does anyone have any info on this CARD. I do not plan on any air/boat/overseas trips, and if their is this type of autherized card we will not purchase a passport.

Thanks in advance Ron
RonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 06:14 PM   #7
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
Passports are relatively inexpensive - I would get them. Not just for traveling, but for ID if you find yourself in a spot where the people are looking at your driver's license and wondering, like some states provide, where did you get this home made laminated card?

Also, my wife and I love to cruise, so when the bug hits, we go. In this situation, passports are definitely needed.

I keep them in my briefcase, stowed away in the closet. Handy when needed, otherwise just there.
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 06:46 PM   #8
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Michael-I agree. When I lost my driver's license I was really glad I had my passport. We got ours originally for cruises and just find it real nice to have that extra ID. They are good for 10 years so it really is not a bad deal.
Happy trails........................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 01:41 PM   #9
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
Originally we were going to need passports in 2006 if we left the country. Now it's 2007 for some things and 2008 for others. At the beginning of the year the government made noises about a travelers card for Mexico and Canada but I have heard nothing since. I would just go ahead and get a passport and then you won't have to worry about where you can go and when.
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 02:14 PM   #10
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Go to www.travel.state.gov and you will find out everything you ever wanted to know about passports..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 08:31 AM   #11
dannyl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4190
I just got back from Juarez, Mexico where I helped do work on a church there.

We had a 15-passenger van and about 12 of us drove back to El Paso and they asked if we were citizens and waved us on. In previous years they have had us take our bags through customs and have them inspected.

Alot of it depends on who is checking you and the mood they are in that day.
dannyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 03:27 PM   #12
DiananColin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #447
Send a message via Yahoo to DiananColin
We always travel with Passports and have found that it makes it very easy to either enter the USA or return to Canada. So far we have had no problems crossing either way, with or without the 5er. Diana
DiananColin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 06:19 AM   #13
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
We too have found it much easier to cross on both sides with the passports. The border patrols always grin and say "Oh Good, passports." Some have even asked me if I wanted the book stamped.

Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote