Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 09-23-2012, 02:38 PM   #1
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
Need your experience and suggestions with gas leak

I emptied one tank and switched to the other tank on the curb side. I noticed some gas leaking around the small regulator after switching the tanks. It only lasted for a few seconds then it quit. I couldn’t feel anything else leaking so I left it that way while we went to church. However, before leaving, I soaped all the connections including the regulator and couldn’t find any leaks while under pressure. When I went back out to the camper and near the compartment I could still smell the scent of leaking gas. At this point I shut all the gas off and decided to wait until later to continue the investigation on what might be wrong. One thing I know, the smell of propane leaking is not a good thing. Any suggestions as to what might be the culprit? Thanks!

Old 09-23-2012, 03:42 PM   #2
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
Its the little red regulater bill they aren't very reliable the rubber diafram is probably starting to leak you can take it out or replace it. mine never had one don't have to worry about it leaking.
Bobby
scductman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 04:12 PM   #3
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
I had the same problem with mine. I could smell propane in the street side propane compartment (where the red regulator is located). But could never find a leak anywhere using soapy water or purchased leak detector. Replaced the red regulator and no more propane smell.
The red regulator had a small vent hole on the bottom with a very small amount of an oily looking substance around it. Apparently it was leaking out of there and I could just not get enough stuff on the bottom side to blow bubbles.
I got a replacement from makariosrv.com.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 02:24 AM   #4
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
We had the same problem and it was the regulator.
bob n pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 02:57 AM   #5
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
X2 on the regulator
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 03:34 AM   #6
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I would not worry about it if you leak checked the regulator fittings and the appliances work fine. Here is a 'splain I found on the Internet:

It is possible that the seat is leaking slightly, as your regulator possibly is equipped with a "relief " feature. ie, if the downstream pressure somehow exceeds the regulator's pressure setting by "X" ounces, a spring loaded flap lifts to vent that excess pressure as a safety measure. That (venting) is likely what you are smelling. In normal operation, the pressure control action is simply a balancing act between a spring and a diaphragm, the more spring compression the higher the output pressure the regulator needs to shut off. (used to work for a major manufacturer of those things).

During normal operation you will hear the pressure reduction happening through the regulator. Just stand next to a big one outside a school or restaurant while it is doing its thing.........lots of noise.

But if it leaks frequently, I would change it for peace of mind, and they shouldn't leak under normal operation. Just a tank change I am thinking...
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote