Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 12-29-2011, 12:53 PM   #1
rhidalgo
Established Member

M.O.C. #11656
Water heater anode rod

Just recently winterized and in doing so removed the water heater drain plug/anode rod. We just got the camper new in September and it has only been used for two weeks so I was a bit surprised to find a considerable amount of consumption of the anode. There is still approximately 90% of the anode remaining but what concerns me is that the part that is missing is mostly near the steel plug and my question is will the magnesium continue to be consumed near the plug until the remainder falls off inside the tank or is the core of the anode made of something other than magnesium so that it would remain intact while the magnesium around it is consumed?

rhidalgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 01:02 PM   #2
K&Gs3400RL
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9671
I think thats normal, I have noticed thats the area that disappears first on mine also.
K&Gs3400RL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 01:02 PM   #3
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Hi

We just changed ours. There is a steel rod thru the center on the zinc.

Phil P
If you get a page not available then remove the "s" after HTTP
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 02:21 PM   #4
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
I think you'll find that what you're seeing is fairly normal. The amount of deterioration of the rod depends on the quality of the water flowing through the water heater. Sometimes you'll discover that the rod material disappears rather rapidly (that's what's keeping the internal tank of the water heater intact) and other times it disappears slowly (if you've been in good water).

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 03:24 PM   #5
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Our first one (the original) did the same thing. But as stated the center rod does not get consumed. It will remain and hold whatever is left.
BB_TX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 12:05 AM   #6
rhidalgo
Established Member

M.O.C. #11656
A steel rod through the center --- that's the answer I was looking for. I'll continue using this one until it's considerable more deteriorated. Thanks for the help guys.

Raymond
rhidalgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 05:01 AM   #7
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Used for only two weeks! Wow! You must have camped where the water was very hard (high mineral content). My first one went within 3 years. I am on my second one and the rig is 6 years old and this one is holding up far better. However I can't tell you how many days or months in total the HW water has been used, but it does depend on the water supply and I started draining the tank when being stored and think this has also helped.

It is HIGHLY recommended you get or build a cleanout nozzle for the hot water heater. I bought a cheapie made of plastic and it is well worth the money. I've read that others have used homemade ones out of metal.

After draining your tank there will be some water and lots of residue from this anode rod at the bottom of the tank - the anode rod stuff has to go somewhere and it's typically at the bottom of the tank. Using a hose and this cleanout nozzle you can blast this junk out of there. It works amazingly well but you can imagine it might take a while to work all the debris out of there. I drain my HW tank during storage and clean it out real well, then replace the plug with the anode rod to keep the HW tank sealed. When using the rig once again, make sure you allow time for the HW tank to refill prior turning on the heating elements (electric switch or propane switch).

I don't need to winterize but maybe someone can add how to remove the remaining water at the bottom of the tank. I've always wondered why the HW tank designers don't account for this water not able to be removed easily but in the meantime I just leave it there. Does anyone have any ideas for this phenomenon? Would finding a way to attach the cleanout nozzle to a shop vac work, then suck it out? Does anyone else just leave the water there? Should I make this a new topic?
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote