Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-08-2021, 08:46 AM   #1
Ron & Izzy
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #29530
weatherstation mast

so.. one of the nuts in my head is weather..

Saying that, i've had weather instruments for the past 20 some odd years. Now that my wife and i have a 3121CK, i'd like to get an instrument for my RV. One of the disadvantages for this install, is that the unit has to be about 3 or 4 feet above the 3121 (prevailing winds/wind direction/and not so close to the roof that it will not record reflecitve heat) maybe.. about 16 feet tall if measuring from the ground.

So... i'm thinking attachment along the rear ladder, with 2-3 connection points. one at the lowest rung, one at the middle rung, and then at the top rung.. But.. what to use as a mast that can reach up 16', and how to attach to ladder. The first thing that popped... something like a dust pan... that you push the broom stick handle into the dust pan handle. And then of course what is the mast made of.. PVC, wood doweling, or?

the newer weather instruments have no moving parts as in the past.. there are sensors (heptic & sonic) within the unit which sense rain, and how much, wind direction, wind velocity and of course the 'other' sensors.

Thank for your input.

R-

https://www.amazon.com/Tempest-Weather-Accurate-Forecasts-Wireless/dp/B0868WY7NY/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?keywords=Tempest+Weather+System&qi d=1638978100&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&smid=A3RAYC554RKGF9&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkU XVhbGlmaWVyPUEyWldaSFA5NzU2SlQ5JmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUE wNTAxMTMxMkxQVzVUNlpNUUI2NyZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwN zAxMTg3MVFETjAxSEs5TzU2WCZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZ hY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRyd WU=

Ron & Izzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 11:10 AM   #2
SSN609
Established Member

M.O.C. #30180
You may want to look for ladder mounted collapsable flag poles. I have one like this one that I put a flag on (pretty easy to use). It might work for what you are talking about.

https://www.amazon.com/Flag-Pole-Fla...8986918&sr=8-5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron & Izzy View Post
so.. one of the nuts in my head is weather..

Saying that, i've had weather instruments for the past 20 some odd years. Now that my wife and i have a 3121CK, i'd like to get an instrument for my RV. One of the disadvantages for this install, is that the unit has to be about 3 or 4 feet above the 3121 (prevailing winds/wind direction/and not so close to the roof that it will not record reflecitve heat) maybe.. about 16 feet tall if measuring from the ground.

So... i'm thinking attachment along the rear ladder, with 2-3 connection points. one at the lowest rung, one at the middle rung, and then at the top rung.. But.. what to use as a mast that can reach up 16', and how to attach to ladder. The first thing that popped... something like a dust pan... that you push the broom stick handle into the dust pan handle. And then of course what is the mast made of.. PVC, wood doweling, or?

the newer weather instruments have no moving parts as in the past.. there are sensors (heptic & sonic) within the unit which sense rain, and how much, wind direction, wind velocity and of course the 'other' sensors.

Thank for your input.

R-

https://www.amazon.com/Tempest-Weath...NsaWNrPXRydWU=
SSN609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 12:51 PM   #3
Ron & Izzy
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #29530
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSN609 View Post
You may want to look for ladder mounted collapsable flag poles. I have one like this one that I put a flag on (pretty easy to use). It might work for what you are talking about.
hell yes! totally cool.. thanks!

https://www.shop.flagpolebuddy.com/15-Dia-Mounts-106015-M.htm

i'll get a 1.5 inch dowel as long as the pass-through, so at the rear of the 3121, there should be 18 - 20 inches over. now.. if there is a way to attach 2 dowels together.. i could extend the length to say 3 feet over the rear of the montana.

thanks !

r-
Ron & Izzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 01:39 PM   #4
Trout30
Established Member

M.O.C. #28508
Ron, I used a simple solution and cheap. I cut about 18" off the 'Bell' end of a 10' long, 1" elec pvc pipe, and installed it on the ladder with 2 hose claims....Bell end at the top. The Bell end of the pvc is even with the top of roof. I cut another piece 2' long and attached my weather unit / wind sensor combo. The 2' piece slides right into the bottom of the weather unit secured with set screws. When I arrive at my site I just climb up the ladder and slide the 2' piece with weather unit already attached into the 'Bell' end of the 18" piece of pvc that is hose clamped to the ladder. The Bell end of the pvc is about 4 or 5 inches deep so the wind has never blown the 2 pieces apart while at the campsite. They stay pretty snug together. As you know that is the way the 10' pipes were designed to be used but with glue. When leaving I do the same and climb up ladder to remove the weather unit giving it a little twist, and leaving the 18" piece with Bell end attached to ladder during travel. It is right at the roof line so no wind problems when traveling. This allows for fast and easy install and removal and the pvc attached to ladder is not very noticeable. The weather unit being 2' above roof line gives me good wind reading while stationary. I bought my weather /wind unit at Bass Pro...I think it was about $100.00. or so. Maybe this can work for you too, Steve
2021 Montana Legacy, 3781RL, Cobalt FBP, Cottage Kitchen, CareFree SOK III toppers, Onan 5.5KW Gen, Solar 300W, 2000W Magnum inverter, Goodyear 17.5" G114's, 2-100 amp Battle Born Batteries, Waste Master w/storage box, Frizz Life water filters, Hughes WatchDog.
2015 GMC 3500HD Denali, 4x4, DuraMax, CC, SRW, SB, PullRite Slider, Truck USA Roll top.
Trout30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 10:04 AM   #5
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
I use a fiberglass "painter's pole" that telescopes and twist locks. I secure to the ladder with three bungee cords at various heights. I set my height well above roof and out of the hot air flow from the rear ac unit. Most accurate height above ground is stated as 30 feet per manufacturer of my unit.
Old 12-09-2021, 04:11 PM   #6
Ron & Izzy
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #29530
these are great ideas!!!!

thank you for the suggestions.. i totally appreciate it.

r-