Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 03-01-2020, 07:40 AM   #1
jr11regal

M.O.C. #24142
Lightbulb Looking for suggestion to sell my Montana and truck

Sometimes in life things change. We are looking to sell our 2018 Montana 3811MS Legacy Edition Full Paint along with our 2018 GMC Denali Diesel 1 Ton dually. Any suggestions where is the best place to list it or if anyone is interested. Truck has 23k miles & the Montana has less than 10k miles. Both are fully loaded and in excellent condition. Also included with the truck will be a Curt 20k hitch purchased new, 50gal transfer Titan Fuel Tank electronically controlled brand new 8ft. bed hard folding tonneau cover just purchased in the past month. Truck also has trailering camera system, rock tamer mud flaps also included. Looking for some advice on best place to list. Asking $135,000 for the combination - Thanks in advance for any info. David

jr11regal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 08:09 AM   #2
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by jr11regal View Post
Sometimes in life things change. We are looking to sell our 2018 Montana 3811MS Legacy Edition Full Paint along with our 2018 GMC Denali Diesel 1 Ton dually. Any suggestions where is the best place to list it or if anyone is interested. Truck has 23k miles & the Montana has less than 10k miles. Both are fully loaded and in excellent condition. Also included with the truck will be a Curt 20k hitch purchased new, 50gal transfer Titan Fuel Tank electronically controlled brand new 8ft. bed hard folding tonneau cover just purchased in the past month. Truck also has trailering camera system, rock tamer mud flaps also included. Looking for some advice on best place to list. Asking $135,000 for the combination - Thanks in advance for any info. David
Sorry to hear about your hardship and I wish the best for you. I really don't want to be the bearer of bad news but you need to understand the facts:

That sounds like a very nice rig BUT your more than likely going to take a big hit due to deprecation. Anyone buying this is going to need a loan and the banks are going to go strictly off of the 80% of the Blue Book value with 20% down on a used unit. The terms will also not be nearly as good on a used unit and a lot of folks will say "the note is lower on brand new" and go that route. That's just a fact on nearly new units that make them harder to move. IF it was a unit 6-8 years old or older then you get into a range where things are different. I am sure some folks on here are going to disagree but go talk to a bank.

The banks will only consider the value of factory options that are listed in the Blue Book so all your other options, while they may sweeten the deal for the buyer will not be considered towards the finance value. You should also be aware that the bank doesn't care much about the actual condition of the unit within reason. Often they just assume the condition is average for the year models and miles on the truck and don't even inspect the unit. Good luck but be prepared to take a hit as your underwater.

As for how to sell it. Do it yourself. Do NOT use a broker! That's just another 5-8% loss on your rig (brokerage fee)! Be very aware of scam artists that will say they can sell your rig for you at no costs.

You can list on Craigslist or other similar sites but be very aware of scams! Only do business on the financial side in person at a public place like a bank. And do not trust anyone. Do not simply take a check and let them drive off. Wait until the check clears the bank!!!! An honest person will understand, a crook will try to pressure you.

Best of luck to you.
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 09:21 AM   #3
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
You can advertise on this forum,and/or craigslist, and/or facebook marketplace, and/or rvtrader.com, and/or other methods. According to nada.com you may be a little high on the price. But you can always come down if someone shows real interest.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 10:35 AM   #4
Steve B

M.O.C. #25805
Quote:
I just sold my 2015 Cougar HC 337FEL on Facebook MarketPlace in less than two weeks. Prior to listing, I searched for any comps at dealers and set my price 5% below this average. I only had to come off the price $500. Cash buyers are out there, but their numbers will be smaller in your price range.

Make your ad stand out with details and lots of pictures. I threw in a new battery and full propane tanks just to sweeten the deal. The buyer was located 1,100 miles away, so MarketPlace must integrate all their ads by posting date below the results for local areas.

Steve B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 11:13 AM   #5
lightsout
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24938
We have purchased 3 RV in the last 3 years (2 class A and 1 Monty) we are in Seattle and purchased the 1st Class A from San Diego, the second Class a from Atlanta, and the Monty from Sacramento.

The point of this is the RV market is a national market so make sure you pricing is competitive nationally and definitely market nationally.

I found 1 on RV Trader and 2 doing a national search on Craigslist. I think those are the two most prominent Methods.

However I sold both the Class A's on Crags list one to a local (100 miles away) and the last one to folks from Denver (1300 miles) who also found me via National search on Craigs list.

The used Montana Market is also very soft on price based on the seasonal nature. Those that purchased a new Monty (not a model year left over) are likely going to take a huge price hit and Legacy even a bit more.

Example: The 2019 3791RD Legacy Full Body Paint I purchased had a original MSRP of $110K, it sold for $86K in Nov of 2018, I purchased (from a Dealer) in July of 2019 (just 7 months after the original owner purchased new) for $58K. While I agree I got a Bargain it still demonstrates the volatile RV market for those who purchased new and sell in a couple years
lightsout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 05:13 PM   #6
Sparatacus
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #24110
I know know about taken a hit, been their done that but it is what it is, sorry to hear about your misfortune and good luck to you.
Sparatacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 03:30 PM   #7
McRod
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18363
I can easily understand why you would be asking $135,000 for the truck/trailer combo.

Reality is it will sell at ~ $85,000-$90,000 for the combo. That's a huge difference in what your asking.
McRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 06:16 PM   #8
Steve W
Established Member

M.O.C. #22958
I found mine on RV Trader, I also looked on craigslist but RV Trader is nice to look in my entire part of the country. Anyone looking to buy an RV would most likely be willing to travel quite a ways to get the right one. I traveled at least a thousand miles looking at units and got one about 300 miles from my house. My search lasted about 6 months. I think there is a lot of people like me who will take the time to find the right unit at the right price.
Good luck.
Dog, 2015 Black Lab
Steve W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 08:55 PM   #9
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by McRod View Post
I can easily understand why you would be asking $135,000 for the truck/trailer combo.

Reality is it will sell at ~ $85,000-$90,000 for the combo. That's a huge difference in what your asking.

I looked on Blue Book for the actual values but that sounds about right to me. Both the truck and camper are valuing at about $50K. A dealer would most likely set asking price at $110-115K and sell in the 100K range maybe. I would expect an owner to be setting price at about 100K and take around $90K at best. Of course this most likely leaves the OP underwater on the loan....I'm sorry to say

Setting your price slightly high to allow for negotiations is a common tactic BUT you have to be careful not to set the price so high that you scare off potential buyers!!

And you have to set your pricing based on what the market will bear or banks will finance, not what you owe on the rig. Buyers and banks don't care what you owe they only care what the rig is actually worth and that is determined by Blue Book on loans.

One other thing to keep in mind is that buyers EXPECT a dealer to ask premium price even for used units. BUT they EXPECT to see actual owners ask less. This is in part due to the fact that everyone understands a dealer has to make money to stay in business. But there is also the factor that it is usually easier to get a loan when buying from a dealer. In other words it can be more of a hassle to buy from an actual owner vs a dealer and folks expect the pricing to reflect that. Nearly all buyers looking at actual owner rigs are looking for a bargain. Be prepared for that mindset.

I know folks are going to hammer me on this but I'm hoping honesty will help the OP. I'm not buying the unit, just trying to give advice on realistic expectations.
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 07:07 AM   #10
TomCat
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #22648
I've had some experience with this myself when I sold our last 5th wheel and truck. I would suggest advertising and selling the Monty and the truck separately (Monty first if you have no other means to move the Monty around). The market for both together is very small, but the market for each individually is much, much larger. As you get inquiries on the Monty you can let them know the truck is also for sale if they are looking for both. I also think this is the best way to maximize your gains for everything. You can even sell the hitch separately. By listing them together you may give the impression that they are a package deal and it may cause some that would otherwise inquire not to. Best of luck!
Old 03-16-2020, 02:30 PM   #11
Dixie Flyer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19905
Quote:
I have listed my camper and truck with National Vehicle. For a fee they will list your unit and also provide all the help you need in selling your camper and truck. They will list it with several other people who sell RVs and truck and will also transport your unit to the site of the buyer. They also will finance it for you.Their phone number is 800 320 9557. I believe they are good folks to work with.
Dixie Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 02:49 PM   #12
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
As mentioned above, advertise them together and separately....just be sure the RV goes first. That's what I did and the RV went first, the truck alone was easy. Also, after last year's booming economy and stock market, don't rule out cash buyers.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 05:26 PM   #13
cgeis48
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9174
During the winter months, there are thousands of buyers in Arizona, Texas, and Florida. Be sure your ads show up in those markets. In the spring buyers can be found all over the US, especially the large metro areas. Best of luck!
cgeis48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 10:28 AM   #14
zwma6@aol.com
Established Member

M.O.C. #23559
Good afternoon, I need to know price for the 5th wheel. I'm a full timer retired in my 2009 38foot MONTANA and absolutely luv it.....my dog does too. Please call 727465 4454 On another subject....if u sell TRUCK separately u will do WAY BETTER. I'm in Clearwater (west coast) FLA and trucks are like GOD here....I'm serious. I'm a car freak and race car driver. Put the truck on CARGURUS site....it's HUGE and FREE bro. TRUCKTRADER is the same co. as Autotrader. HUGE site but small fee to list it UNTIL SOLD. The other dude who warned u about scams....he;s;a good guy. Meet the customer at THEIR BANK and go inside and get ur $$$$$$$$$ bro. Another trick is always take a check to THEIR bank to cash it. It might cost 5 bucks so what ...eh? The bank is SAFEST spot on earth.....cameras, armed guard, people everywhere. Call me about the MONTANA peace, GOD.
zwma6@aol.com is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
combo, for sale, full time, montana