Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 06-19-2019, 08:57 AM   #1
skyhawkxops
Established Member

M.O.C. #24303
Turning clearance

I want to know what clearance is needed between bumper and trailer to make a 90 degree turn ?? I have a long bed 1988 1 ton gmc? Hitch is mounted in bed and ready to test? Thanks hawk
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5501A89B-71B7-45F5-9256-779CA9D57206.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	160.6 KB
ID:	3993  

skyhawkxops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 11:38 AM   #2
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Only way to know for sure is by measuring. A lot of variables involved such as hitch type, hitch brand, where hitch is installed in relation to your truck bed, pin box type and dimensions, and the distance from your king pin to the front of the trailer.

You need to measure the distance from the center of where the king pin will be located in your hitch to the most distant point of the corners of your bumper. Call that dimension A. Then measure the distance from the center of your trailer king pin to the nearest point on the front wall of your trailer. Call that dimension B. Dimension B (the trailer) must be greater than dimension A (the truck) to clear on a tight turn.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 12:18 PM   #3
jsb5717
Montana Master

M.O.C. #23668
If the hitch is properly mounted directly over the axle then the bumper isn't likely your problem...unless you've got some weird, oversized bumper. The issue will be the cap of the 5er against the back of your cab. 90 degree turning isn't a recommended practice but it is good to know your tolerances.

Find a parking lot and slowly back up while turning. Have someone spot you to make sure nothing hits. Then you'll know what you can/can't do and what it looks like from where you're sitting.
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 01:22 PM   #4
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
With your long bed the cab is probably not a problem. But certainly worth looking at. But from your picture (assuming you are hooked up) it does appear you do not have a lot of extra room between the back of your truck and the front of your trailer. Mine is also fairly close but it does clear. But will not clear with the tailgate down.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 02:10 PM   #5
skyhawkxops
Established Member

M.O.C. #24303
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_TX View Post
With your long bed the cab is probably not a problem. But certainly worth looking at. But from your picture (assuming you are hooked up) it does appear you do not have a lot of extra room between the back of your truck and the front of your trailer. Mine is also fairly close but it does clear. But will not clear with the tailgate down.
I have 23 to 24 inch clearance bumper to trailer I removed the tail gate! I do want to keep bumper on truck if I can?? Hawk
skyhawkxops is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
turning clearance