Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > On the Road Again
Click Here to Login

Old 12-06-2006, 12:45 AM   #1
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I'm Cold!!!!!

Alright, not Minnesota cold, not Canada cold, not St. Louis-no electricity-ice on the inside of the windows cold, but I'm-I drove 1400 miles from Missouri to the Desert trying to find a warm spot cold!!!!
I checked Palm Springs typical temp's for this time of the year, that's cold also...
I can't go too much further South, or I'll end up in Mexico; about 200 miles, I can't think they are that much warmer there.
Oh, it gets in the high 60's here in the afternoon, the Sun is hot and it feels nice then, but I am an early riser, and I want Warm-early. I have a blanket around me as I type this.
We are going to South Padre in about a Month, but it's not too much warmer there, now. At least it never rains here, so the Sun is out all the time. (Knock on wood.)
Let's hear it folks, what is the temperatures where you are?, Hopefully the warmer ones.
Ozz the whiner.

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 12:58 AM   #2
foggyb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1351
Gulf Breeze FL. 34' But no snow like home. Dans not happy either.
foggyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 12:58 AM   #3
rvfirefighter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5314
Ozz, I can relate. I am in North Ga. Mtns. It has been in the low 20's the last couple of nights. We decided to stay here till the Christmas holidays were over, but I am not so sure that was a good idea. I am ready to fly south now.
I really know now how well this unit is made for cold weather,it's not. I have reservations New Years eve in Palm Harbor Fl. I can't wait. I am from Ga. and as a firefighter I worked my share of days and nights outside, but this is our first winter living in our Montana in a cold area. I am usually in Fl. at the end of October.
rvfirefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 01:09 AM   #4
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
50's last night should be 70s this afternoon and I'm luvin it. Still wearing shorts and short sleeve shirt.

A quick remedy for the what you percieve as cold is to think about them folks up north. Where we are from it's 22°. I think that's COLD compared to the cool 57° here.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 01:18 AM   #5
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
Sorry Ozz, no help here. 23 as I type, but that feels warm compared to the very low teens we've been having. The high yesterday was 67, day before it was 57, and the day before that 35.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 01:44 AM   #6
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
What happen to global warming?
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 02:05 AM   #7
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Lake Havasu city says current temp 42 ( 7 AM AZ time) For cast fore the week is mostly 70's, low 43's.. We are up to our you know what in snow and 16 degrees as we speak.. We plan to make a run for it Monday or Tuesday.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 02:46 AM   #8
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I was hoping Florida reports would be more promising, Glenn, your temp's are not too much different than ours here. We have really low humidity, and no rain, as I stated, so I guess the comfort index would mirror the temperature here. Shorts are good later in the day here as well.
Rich, you guys be careful coming through the Snow-Ice barrier, Michael and Kathy, (Snfexpress),Sue and I had a nice long lunch yesterday, then visited each other's Montana's. Super duper people, hope you will be able to meet them. They are from Reno. We were all talking about 'jumping ship' and finding warmer weather.
Dan and Sandy it surprises me that it is so cold there, I wouldn't be happy either.
Lonnie, it looks like the temp's are all over the place there, at least your stick house should be cozy.
Mudchief, I was asking Sue about that yesterday, don't compute, do it????
David and Brenda, I think you should bail early! I know Christmas will keep people home longer than they really want to stay if they can get out. I was working in the weather as well, I did commercial rooftop heating and cooling, I really hate the cold now.
We don't run the propane furnace at night, two electric heaters keep it around 60 in here, (never freezes hard here) when I get up in the morning, I turn on the fireplace, have coffee, watch Imus on MSNBC and eat a bowl of grits.
It's a good life....a cold one, but good.
Ozz
Old 12-06-2006, 02:55 AM   #9
vickir
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2215
Hey Jim ... would you like fruit or cheese with your whine?
vickir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 02:57 AM   #10
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
Ozz,

My brother lives in Fort Myers Beach, Florida. He doesn't own a pair of long pants. Well, maybe one!! He doesn't own a real coat either. He is in shorts year round and maybe a sweat shirt.

There are some really nice RV parks near where he lives. One is Gulf Waters RV Park http://www.gulfwatersrv.com/localattractions.html They rent out spots and also have lots for sale.

Colleen
Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 03:06 AM   #11
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Every place has winter weather, just how much is the question!

Our experience, and OHO, is that you have to get to Naples Florida or south of San Antonio to get warm. Have no experience with Arizona, so, will leave that discussion to those that have.

We left the RGV several times at 80 and 90 and above during the day and got to San Antonio and had to pull out light weight jackets.

Each to his own, Al and I are sitting at 34, melting snow (less than 1 inch is melting), but tomorrow they say will be if not brutal, at least, uncomfy, as the winds are gonna pick up, the temps drop and the snow coming again.

I hope you all will get warm weather around the 22nd of December and SEND it to Tipton, so we can get packed and out of here!
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 04:01 AM   #12
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Check this out, Naples and Ft Myers are about the same temp's, only with clouds, humidity and rain. We aren't gaining much, folks.
Fort Myers Beach
http://www.weather.com/outlook/drivi...53?from=search
Naples, Florida
http://www.weather.com/outlook/drivi...38?from=search
Old 12-06-2006, 04:07 AM   #13
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337

Fort Meyers to Naples, 43 miles

San Antonio to Mission, 245 miles.

Not sure why we are comparing, but there ya go!

Ozz, ya crack me up!!!!!!!!
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 05:10 AM   #14
c5racer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #444
All you need to do is go a little farther South, 86 in Los Cabos today and a low of 66.

http://search.weather.yahoo.com/forecast/MXBS0007.html
c5racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 05:41 AM   #15
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Along with Rv firefighter we have no problem admitting that these things do not do well in cold weather. Of course we knew from prior experience that RV's are not designed for cold weather living no matter what the marketing folks say. I know that there are many that do and are as we speak living in them in very cold weather and they find ways to make them livable which attest to the fact that they are not designed for cold weather.We used up 1 30lb tank of Propane in temps ranging from a low of 11 to a high of 37 (according to the high and low readings in the memory of our digital thermometer) in just over 3 days with the temp set at 68 Degrees. In a 30 day month that would be 8 or 9 30lbs tanks of propane at 21.00 per tank or about $170.00 per month to heat 400 square feet. Our house is 2100+ square feet which would be a propane bill of 850.00/900.00 per month . The highest natural gas bill we had last year was 225.00??? We are glad that the camper is along side the house and we are not in it...Arizona here we come.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 05:57 AM   #16
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Yea, the Southern tip of Baja California is not what I had in mind.
I know it is warm in Panama as well, but I was thinking of the good old USA.
Rich, come on down!
Old 12-06-2006, 08:15 AM   #17
rvfirefighter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5314
It is very nice today, my small electric heater is what I use during the day, along with the fireplace if I need to jump the temp. up some more. I use the furnace at night to keep everything from freezing. I have had no problems with anything and hope I don't. If I stayed in these temps. all winter I would definitely do some additional insulation in the belly of this beast.
rvfirefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 11:50 AM   #18
gkbutler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4049
Send a message via MSN to gkbutler Send a message via Yahoo to gkbutler
Couldn't open your link Ozz (computer problems), but I am sitting here in Naples, Fl about 9 miles from the gulf with the door and windows open. Right now it is about 70 degrees. Should be down to about 50 tonight, real nice sleeping weather. Tomorrow it is supposed to start warming up with the highs by the weekend back in the 80's. I know it's rough, but hey! someone's gotta do it right?

gkbutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 12:39 PM   #19
Tom Gina 06
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5993
I think this cold weather is almost the same thing that happened last winter. Real cold at first in December then some real nice weather the rest of the Winter. In fact I remember coming home from work in South Dakota about this time last Winter and it was 17 below Zero. Gina was all curled up on the couch with a big blanket watching the weather on tv. We saw the forcast for more of the same for the next week and that started our life change. Came South with my job for the Winter liked it so much went home and sold the whole darn thing lock stock and barrel. Boy oh boy what a year this has been.....9 months ago never even knew what a Montana was....... maybe that December of 2005 brain freeze we had never wore off...LOL NOT!!!! Best Year I remember ever!!!

Happy Holidays to everyone!

And remember......
Tom Gina 06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 02:58 PM   #20
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
Your all killing me...I'm still working, living in north east (NYS), its sorta warm 40's day, 30's night and reading this thread just can't feel sorry for ya. My temperature is boiling over my DW's Trailblazer heater core failure (2003) yes 3 years and it failed! Looked at labor cost for garage to fix....well, not gonna let that happen, in my garage at stick house and it looks ugly now!
Chuck
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote