Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Let Us Entertain You
Click Here to Login

Old 05-30-2018, 10:04 AM   #1
RKassl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3699
Anybody Using a Winegard Pathways X2 Satellite Antennna

I have been a Tailgater user for many years, but I think ours has seen better days. Seriously looking that the Pathways X2 especially because it has a much bigger reflector which is always good to have. Anybody here have one and what is your experience with it? Good or bad would be appreciated. The construction sure is different from the Tailgater.
Thanks!

RKassl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 11:48 AM   #2
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Following this thread as my older Tailgater would not find the sats a couple weeks ago, first time out this season. Had to set up the tripod mounted one.

What receiver are you using?
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 11:57 AM   #3
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Just hooked up a new X2 and Wally for my neighbor. Up and running in a few minutes.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 12:29 PM   #4
RKassl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3699
Brand new 211Z
RKassl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 08:28 PM   #5
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
I have the Pathways and a 211z(I think). It works fine. Only problem is it runs power to the dish via the coax cable. And I think there is some wierd splitter inside the trailer near the convenience center. I don't think it allows the power to go out to power the antenna very well. Several other threads regarding this. I solved my problem by drilling a hole in the wall near the tv and puting an external connection box on the wall outside. Others simply remove the splitter and just connect from the outside connection straight to the tv. The other potential drawback, is the manual says there is a limit of 25 or 50 feet on the coax. I believe I am using 50 since it will run from almost the back of the Monty to several feet to the front of it.
Good luck.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 08:59 PM   #6
Dmcgrew
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13564
I am using a pathway along with 211Z recievers. I have no problem with them at all. Very easy to set up and very reliable. Occasionally a heavy storm will block the signal but not typical. I read that should not use more than 50' of cable but I use 100' with no loss of picture quality. I have found that I needed to replace the cheap splitters that were from the factory with a higher quality to get the best picture.
Dmcgrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 05:31 AM   #7
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
I have used the X2 and 211Z receivers for about 5 years. Yes, with 100 ft of cable. Works well for us. But, I installed 2 connectors to connect the receivers directly to the X2 and skipped all the cheap stuff in the RV. One connector serves the bedroom and the second serves the living area. Also buy very good cable and connectors, going cheap on sat stuff will fail eventually. Advice from a retired antenna engineer!
timandsusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 05:35 AM   #8
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
Another point. The X2 is a master-slave setup. That is one receiver will select the 2 sats it will see and the slave receiver must select channels on those 2 sats. The antenna in the X2 is not large enough to see all 3 sats at the same time as a larger fixed antenna. We can live with that--if I let my wife run the master receiver!
timandsusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 06:00 AM   #9
powerhaulic
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20884
We decided to get the X2 as it is one of the few that can receive HD.

have a Wally receiver solo for now.
Had the board in the dish go bad when 2 weeks old, but winegard replaced the entire antenna, even shipped it to the campground as we were staying 6 weeks.
Happy with the setup
Lippert AirRide pinbox / PullRite SuperLight hitch
powerhaulic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 07:20 AM   #10
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Have the X2 and 211Z receiver for 2 years now. Works great for us. Like any dish, it will loose signal during a toad soaker, but recovers as soon as the big rain passes. We also installed an exterior coax connection thru the wall going direct to the receiver. Too may OEM splitters and crappy cable connections throughout the fiver. I took an old camera tripod and fabbed a round aluminum disk and post to sit it on, be able to easily level it, and get it off the ground away from moisture.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote