Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 09-02-2011, 03:01 PM   #1
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
carpet replacement

We have an older rig.... a 2002 model. We have a bit of wear and tear on it. One thing we will need soon is some replacement carpet. Our dear little Spike (along with some help from Bandit and Buddy) have taken up the challenge of chewing up parts of our carpet. Some on the steps and some in the bedroom area. Anyway we are thinking we will need to replace some or all of the carpet in our rig.

Has anyone replaced the carpet in their rig? Did you take to the dealer or who did the replacement for you?

If not the dealer who did you have replace it? We're looking for any ideas. Thanks, Dennis and Mary Kay.

HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 08:01 PM   #2
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Dennis that could be a problem. Don't know if you know it or not but the carpet is put down BEFORE the cupboards, stove, refrig, bed and etc are put in the Monte! It can be done but whoever puts in your new carpet will have to cut away the carpet at the edges of the stuff and then try and get it up tight again with the new next to the stuff. Let us know what you decide and try and post some pictures if you decide to put in new carpet!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 02:14 AM   #3
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Hi

I haven’t ever installed carpet but I have watched it done several times.

After removal of the old carpet a commercial carpet installer will fasten next to the walls and cabinets strips to the floor that have what looks like the points of tacks sticking up out of it.

They will then use a unit that has similar “claws” on the bottom of a pad. The rest of the unit is built so the installer can strike it with one knee while kneeling on the floor. This pushes the carpet against the wall or cabinet that it needs to close to.

This works quite well but is very hard on the installers back and knees.

I would recommend talking to a commercial carpet installer.

Phil P
If you get a page not available then remove the "s" after HTTP
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 02:25 AM   #4
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
I know Fox RV in Middlebury (INDIANA) will do it, it takes about 3 or 4 days, and last time I asked it was about $2000.00, price, I thought, included the carpet.

I have read here on the forum of at least one family replacing their carpet, they had theirs done in the Rio Grande Valley, and the price was half that.

My preference would be to have someone like Fox do the work, they are familiar with ALL things RV afterall.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 04:58 AM   #5
The Oldguard
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2625
Dennis, I did a "Google" search and found this site.RV Carpet installtion in CA.
The Oldguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 06:32 AM   #6
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Thanks!
I appreciate the responses. Replacing the carpet is not something I would attempt. It would definitely be done by a Pro.

Bill the place in Buena Park looks like a really good place. I'd just hate to have to pull the rig down into that LA traffic! But they look like they would have anything/everything we would need!

Thanks to all who contributed info. Dennis and Mary Kay
Old 09-03-2011, 12:16 PM   #7
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Any good reputable carpet installer can do the job. They just have to look at all the areas along the edges before they start so they understand how the slides work when they go over the carpet.
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 01:17 PM   #8
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Exnavydiver

Any good reputable carpet installer can do the job. They just have to look at all the areas along the edges before they start so they understand how the slides work when they go over the carpet.
I was wondering about that. I would think a good installer would know how to do the job. Thanks Dave.
Dennis
Old 09-04-2011, 07:57 AM   #9
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I second what Dave said. A good carpet installer can do it. First have them look at the job to see if they can do it. The thickness of the pad and carpet is important as the slides must go over the carpet.That is whay the carpet installer need to look at the job. We have looked into this locally.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 12:01 PM   #10
hazmic
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4962
We might be the ones that Carol was talking about and when we had it done it was 800 dollars and he did a great job. The one from Keystone is thin. Thats carpet and so called pad.The one that we had installed was Berber and good pad. Looks great.
hazmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 04:56 PM   #11
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
Dennis,Just trade that trailer in for a new one! LOL!
Jack
jjackflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 02:27 AM   #12
Northforker

M.O.C. #11677
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by hazmic

We might be the ones that Carol was talking about and when we had it done it was 800 dollars and he did a great job. The one from Keystone is thin. Thats carpet and so called pad.The one that we had installed was Berber and good pad. Looks great.
I assume the slides weren't affected with the thicker carpet?
Northforker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 07:39 AM   #13
hazmic
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4962
No. Was not affected at all. He took out the carpeting in the slide-outs and had them hemmed so they look great and the slide work fine. We use the gray slick things that the slide rides on. We only use them when the unit is at home and sitting for a week or so. The guys name in the valley was Ken Martin. I called the carpet that Keystone used a rag. Would not even make a good throw rug.
hazmic is offline   Reply With Quote