Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-12-2011, 10:53 AM   #1
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
New 5th wheel?

We are in the new 5th wheel mode. Right now it is the Montana 3402.There are many features in that model that we really like. the addition of the second sink and vanity in the bathroom area is the number one attraction. This 06 3400 is 6 years old has traveled over 60K miles and has served us well but not with out several problems both large and small

we are familiar with the Keystone/Montana system and we have received excellent service from them no matter where we might be.

We are of course apprehensive as we are well aware of the quality or lack thereof in the manufacturer of any brand rv.
We gave it a lot of thought and can think of no other brands that might be better

Of course our scores of good friends of the MOC and the wealth of expertise here are a huge positive.

we will go to the Tampa Rv show and look around hopefully the Montana will still be number one on our buy list.

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 01:05 PM   #2
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Are there any other fifth wheels out there?
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 05:46 PM   #3
TAKPAK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8238
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by CamillaMichael

Are than any other fifth wheels out there?
Yes there are, IF you want to spend over $100,000.00 and also have a 1 1/2 ton truck or larger to pull it. Otherwise, probably not......
2015 GMC Sierra 4X4 3500 SRW
TAKPAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 02:20 AM   #4
pineranch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9765
With what you are raking in off of Mickey, look at the Kountry Aire!!!!!
Mike
pineranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 03:21 AM   #5
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
Rich, we are currently on our 3rd Montana and certainly understand that sense of apprehension. But as always the excitement of something new and better overrides any apprehension.

Certainly with any new RV of any brand there is that dreaded "working out the kinks" period of time that haunts one but we can honestly say that with the last trade to the 2010 model it was a breeze.

Couldn't agree more with your statement of how much a huge positive the MOC is on our buying decision!!!

Have great time shopping, keep us posted, as I am sure you will, as we are looking forward to your shopping experience!!!

2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 04:00 AM   #6
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
My Mickey wage is 8.00 per hour. That puts me back in a used pop up.. Having toured just about all the factories we see little difference in the construction or quality of the product. I always have said these guys are more alike than different. IMO Montana is way more proactive in addressing improvements and MOC is partly responsible for that. Having seen the new Montana facility there is the opportunity to improve on quality and we really believe Montana is trying to do that. We shall see.

Montana is still # one on our list but we continue to monitor this and other RV forums looking for post of folks who have taken delivery of a new Montana and their satisfaction with the product.. We are looking for improvement.
Old 11-13-2011, 05:31 AM   #7
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
Rich I do understand how you would like a new trailer. My first concern if I were to trade would be weight and length of my next camper. With the price of fuel today and the unknown fuel prices in the future? I can also remember all the past post about the troubles with your and also my camper, and I would not want to re-live that again. I just wonder if a cabinet maker could look at your needs and possible help you with a dual sink in the bedroom area?
Illini Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 09:49 AM   #8
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Illini Trekker

Rich I do understand how you would like a new trailer. My first concern if I were to trade would be weight and length of my next camper. With the price of fuel today and the unknown fuel prices in the future? I can also remember all the past post about the troubles with your and also my camper, and I would not want to re-live that again. I just wonder if a cabinet maker could look at your needs and possible help you with a dual sink in the bedroom area?
That is what makes me apprehensive about another Rv, any brand. we have for example had three bad holding tanks in 6 years. That would have been over 2,000.00 in tanks alone had we not had the extended warranty.

The Montana 3402 is two feet longer than our present 3400 but not much heavier. The price of fuel is something we have no control over.If it gets to high we just park it.

This is far from a done deal,the price has got to be right and Montana has got to show me that it is a better product not the other way around.
Old 11-13-2011, 12:46 PM   #9
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
I sent you a PM
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 12:52 PM   #10
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
The floorplans look almost the same...where is the two extra feet?
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 02:25 PM   #11
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by TLightning

The floorplans look almost the same...where is the two extra feet?
It is all in the front end.The bathroom is enlarged for the addition of the extra sink and vanity. The cabinets in the kitchen against the wall are deeper.
Old 11-14-2011, 02:00 AM   #12
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
Rich at $8.00 an hour at Micky's are you sure you can afford a pop up. You might want to consider looking at some Walmart discounted tents. Sell the big ole Ford diesel and buy a used motorcycle with a side car or a pair of used scooters.
indy roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 02:56 AM   #13
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Indy we had some of our best camping days in the 1981 coleman pop up.
Old 11-14-2011, 03:34 AM   #14
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
I agree Rich, I started out with a small popup and 3 daughters, but.....I was younger, energetic, didn't need a/c, creature comfort was out of the question, just enjoy being in the wild, but now I am old, wore out, need all the comforts of home just to survive each day.
Back on topic, the pics of that 3402 does cause one's mouth to water a little bit. Good luck in you decision and happy 75th.
indy roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 08:38 AM   #15
jrjones
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4858
Ric here is my.02 worth. I took delivery of a 2010 3400RL august 7th of 2011. I previously owned an 05 2980RL which I really enjoyed with little trouble.I received my RV on the 7Th and took off on the 9Th from Oregon to Greensboro NC. I feel that the quality of my new Montana is much improved over my 05. The wood work is better the fit and finish of the whole trailer in my opinion is better. Oh and I really like the hickory used in it. Leaving so quickly I have found a few things naturally that need fixed, but nothing major. My biggest complaint and only complaint is that they use lousy tires which will go when I get home. I will live in my trailer about 9 months of the year and drag it all over the country for my job. I am now in Florida for 3 months. Anyway I have not regretted purchasing the new one not once. I looked at lots of Mgr models before I pulled the trigger and I couldn't find more for the dollar and with my last one I went for it.
jrjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 09:21 AM   #16
c214dick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8160
Based on your previous postings whatever decision you make will be the right one for you which is all that counts. Good luck.
c214dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 10:19 AM   #17
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

We are in the new 5th wheel mode. Right now it is the Montana 3402.There are many features in that model that we really like. the addition of the second sink and vanity in the bathroom area is the number one attraction. This 06 3400 is 6 years old has traveled over 60K miles and has served us well but not with out several problems both large and small

we are familiar with the Keystone/Montana system and we have received excellent service from them no matter where we might be.

We are of course apprehensive as we are well aware of the quality or lack thereof in the manufacturer of any brand rv.
We gave it a lot of thought and can think of no other brands that might be better

Of course our scores of good friends of the MOC and the wealth of expertise here are a huge positive.

we will go to the Tampa Rv show and look around hopefully the Montana will still be number one on our buy list.
Based on the problems you have had with your current Montana, if you opt to buy another one, Keystone should make you the deal of the century.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 10:34 AM   #18
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by TLightning

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

Based on the problems you have had with your current Montana, if you opt to buy another one, Keystone should make you the deal of the century.
It is perhaps a sad commentary on the state of Rv quality but tell me of another brand in that price range were I would not excpect to perhaps have the very same problems. That is were the apprehension comes from.
We are hot one day and cold the next on a new purchase.
Old 11-21-2011, 01:34 PM   #19
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
Rich just think about the diesel fuel you can buy for the price of any new rv LOL. Hey the new ones are beautiful I have been looking at used trucks and can't even afford one of them. If you like the new one go for it!!.
Bobby
scductman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 01:55 PM   #20
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
You are right Bobby......why not. we are also looking around for a better Rv park to spend the winter,perhaps purchase a lot.