Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-09-2009, 05:25 PM   #1
pasha26287
Established Member

M.O.C. #5815
Send a message via AIM to pasha26287 Send a message via Yahoo to pasha26287
toilet seal

Has anyone replaced the seals in their toilet. It has not been holding the water seal on the sliding valve for a while. I am sure the rubber seal has gone bad. The unit is about 4 1/2 yrs old. If you have replaced the seal, did you get the parts from your dealer or from the toilet mfgr and how difficult was the job? We are "long timers" and use it 50 weeks a year.

pasha26287 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 01:04 AM   #2
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Assuming there is nothing blocking the seal, before replacing it try the 'slam' fix. Hold the valve open and let it snap back closed by releasing it quickly. Several people have reported it working, including myself. If that doesn't work, you can order new seals from the mfg. I haven't replaced ours, but people who have said it was pretty easy.

Here's another thread on it: http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...ad.php?t=34118
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 01:07 AM   #3
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
I called the manufacture of the toilet and they admitted a bad seal and sent a new one no charge. Suggest you call the manufacture and get the parts from them.
Now, our unit is three years old so I do not know if the problem existed with yours.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 02:36 AM   #4
wingerphil
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6570
Mine is doing the same thing. I called Dometic yesterday at 1-800-321-9886 and talked to Shirley. She was very nice and is sending the replacement seal free of charge. She said it has been "re-designed". She will need the model number of your Sealand Toilet when you call. Take the plastic cover off the front lower portion, mine was velcro'd on, and there is a white tag with the model #.
wingerphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 03:10 AM   #5
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Mine would not hold water last year. Called Sealand. Nice helpful lady I spoke with told me to open it up, clean the rubber seal, lube it with a food grade oil such as Pam and put it back together. Said if that did not fix it, she would send me a new seal.
Did as she said and it has been fine since.
Not difficult at all. A metal band holds the top part to the bottom. Remove the metal band and loosen the water hose. The top will lift right off. Clean and lube. Then put it back together being careful to center the top part back over the seal. Took probably 30 minutes.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 09:14 AM   #6
JimF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6260
Send a message via ICQ to JimF Send a message via AIM to JimF Send a message via Yahoo to JimF
I walked into an RV dealership (not where I bought my rig) and told them I need a rebuild kit for the Sealand, the guy handed me a kit, said they go bad all the time, NO CHARGE, and I walked out kit in hand, money still in my wallet, he had boxes and boxes of valve kits.
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 01:32 AM   #7
gojodo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5540
We also had a toilet that would not hold water. I called Dometic and they sent me a new seal kit but at a cost of $47 US. I guess I didn't talk to the right folks. It is fairly easy to change the seals. You follow their instructions but generally you turn off the water, remove the lower cover skirt, disconnect by pulling out the vacuum connection on the back of the toilet, then unscreww the ring clamp holding the toilet bowl to the base. It lifts off easily and exposes the existing two seals, one is flexible teflon and one is inflexible plastic. This is the problem because debris gets in between them. The replacement seals are both flexible so the fit together better. This is great opportunity to give the old "john" a great cleaning. Good Luck. John
gojodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 06:20 AM   #8
grampachet
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8045
Ours would not close because it was binding. We could let it snap and it would close. I tried Pam and other types of lube which worked sorta for a short time. Finally I took it all apart and found the shaft from the pedal to the valve was too big for the hole. I turned it down until it would rotate freely without the O rings. Now after reinstalling everything it works fine.
grampachet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 05:46 AM   #9
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Don't forget to let it slam shut by just pulling your foot off the pedal. That is the Mfg's preferred method. (Wakes the other light sleeper up in the middle of the night)

I also use a throw away plastic glove, and every once in a while put a dab of Vaseline on the tips of the finger and work it into the seal, below and above. If you are going to use PAM I would suggest the same method. Dropping a PAM can into the tank would be exciting to say the least. Also, for more excitement - forget the glove.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 07:42 AM   #10
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Waynem

I also use a throw away plastic glove, and every once in a while put a dab of Vaseline on the tips of the finger and work it into the seal, below and above.
You sound like my doctor...
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 07:49 PM   #11
hookman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6237
jI phoned Dometic and talked to the Lady there she said they updated the seal and sent me one free of charge. It arrived yesterday so I guess I will have to install it when I get my other jobs done.
hookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 02:16 AM   #12
pasha26287
Established Member

M.O.C. #5815
Send a message via AIM to pasha26287 Send a message via Yahoo to pasha26287
Thanks to all. I will call Dometic Today. I was trying the slam fix early on to no avail. We are ar the house for a few weeks before we head to Tucson for the winter. If I can get all the honey-do's done i will work on it (after the parts arrive). Thanks to all who responded.......Travel safe. Bill
pasha26287 is offline   Reply With Quote