Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 10-23-2023, 10:00 AM   #1
TDeakins
Established Member

M.O.C. #27981
Suspension Hangers

I’m seeking insight here. I recently discovered a missing suspension hanger for the rear connection to my double axle leaf spring. (I have a 2018 Montana 3791/ fifth wheel) the hanger appears to have been welded and bolted to the frame. There also appears to be some level of violence that occurred which removed the hanger from the frame apparently shearing the bolt along with it. I did not discover this, until after the fact, when I was inspecting my tires, and determined that the rear axle was wearing more than the front axle. At first, I thought I had an axle problem. On closer inspection, it turned out to be the missing hanger. I had an on-site welder come and replace the hanger and the bolt welding it all back to the frame. Not an inexpensive repair. I haven’t tested it yet to see if it’s going to hold. When I contacted the insurance company (Good Sam/NGIC), they denied the claim, stating it was a “maintenance item“ and / or “ a failed component“. Both of which appear not to be covered. (So much for Good Sam insurance) I would be curious if anyone else has had this experience, and if there’s any insight as to what might’ve caused it, other than than a collision with some unknown object on the highway. There was no other apparent damage other than the underbelly cover being ripped open slightly forward of where the suspension hanger was. Axles are fine.

TDeakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2023, 03:42 PM   #2
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Tony,

Broken spring hangars are not particularly unusual. Your should regularly torque the bolts and check for broken/cracked welds. Tight turns, particularly backing put a lot of strain on them.

It is not something everyone will go through but you will find several examples as you read through the forum.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2023, 04:52 PM   #3
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
We broke a right rear leaf spring hanger this year. Discovered it when we were getting ready to leave. Spent an extra week in Moab Utah waiting for a mobile welder. Went hiking everyday while we waited.
I now do an "arrival" inspection on all suspension after we setup.
I'll also be installing hanger braces this winter.
I believe new rigs come with this installed now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Suspension Leaf spring hanger reinforcement.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	183.6 KB
ID:	15785   Click image for larger version

Name:	Suspension Leaf spring hanger reinforcement 1.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	256.0 KB
ID:	15786  
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2023, 07:09 AM   #4
TDeakins
Established Member

M.O.C. #27981
Hanger Braces

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryles View Post
We broke a right rear leaf spring hanger this year. Discovered it when we were getting ready to leave. Spent an extra week in Moab Utah waiting for a mobile welder. Went hiking everyday while we waited.
I now do an "arrival" inspection on all suspension after we setup.
I'll also be installing hanger braces this winter.
I believe new rigs come with this installed now.
Where are the weld points? …. just where breach meets frame or are there welds from brace to hanger? Also, there’s a bolt that runs through the hanger into the frame. The brace would obstruct access to it but I’m not sure that matters.
TDeakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2023, 08:34 AM   #5
bshgto
Montana Master

M.O.C. #16013
no 3rd a/c

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDeakins View Post
Where are the weld points? …. just where breach meets frame or are there welds from brace to hanger? Also, there’s a bolt that runs through the hanger into the frame. The brace would obstruct access to it but I’m not sure that matters.
X- Factors simple, effective
F350 Ford Dually 4:10`s w/bags (payload 5595 lbs) Sumo Springs 63 gal aux tank
Reese Goosebox Mor/Ryde SRE 4000 X Factors Monroe shocks.... real smooth ride
bshgto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2023, 07:11 PM   #6
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDeakins View Post
TDeakins - based on what I have read here in the forum concerning spring hanger brackets - there is no bolt going thru the spring hanger bracket into the frame. In the sketch below - the dotted red line (representing a bolt into the frame) does not exist. The hanger bracket is welded to the frame.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2023-10-24_20-04-00.png
Views:	22
Size:	249.4 KB
ID:	15788  
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2023, 06:35 PM   #7
R.S.O'Donnell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25842
Just happened to us as well…. $370.00 repair.

https://www.montanaowners.com/forums...7&postcount=23

It’s been a problem for years. Were it on our tow vehicles they would undoubtedly have been a recall. But somehow the rv industry gets away with it and we get stuck with the bill. I’m just glad I found ours while in a campground and before it totally let go.
R.S.O'Donnell is offline   Reply With Quote