Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-05-2020, 09:50 AM   #1
decarteaux
Established Member

M.O.C. #26474
2nd gray water tank valve location?

My 2008 3400RL has black and gray water tank valves at the primary water control panel, but there is a 2nd gray water tank (somewhere) and I have not been able to find the valve. Any hints?

decarteaux in Fallon, NV
2008 Montana 3400RL, 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 HD Laramie w/Cummins 5.9L 24 valve TurboDiesel. Andersen Ultimate hitch
decarteaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 09:56 AM   #2
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
On the Driver's side, get down and look at the frame just in front of the front axle and between the two axles. You should find another tank pull in that area.
Old 07-05-2020, 10:38 AM   #3
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
I can't believe how may of these questions there have been concerning the second (galley) gray tank valve. Apparently the sale people and/or the techs that are giving the Predelivery Inspection are not telling them about this pull handle OR they don't know about it themselves. My guess is the second choice. This has been a question asked nearly every week for the past 10 years or better. The reason for the handle back in front of the front axle or between the axles is because of the location of the galley gray tank and Keystone Montana have not changed, I think, since the beginning of the Montana being manufactured. If they had to put the handle in the convenient center they would have to use an extremely long cable and that would cause even more problems with it binding up or kinking and then not being able to open the valve to drain it. Dan-- don't feel alone on this question because you are not the only one that has put an inquiry in on this very point. When other questions come up, ask away because this is the place to get answers from the experts-- actual Montana owners.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 12:33 PM   #4
decarteaux
Established Member

M.O.C. #26474
Thanks to all for the input! Found it. I was following other directions and looking under the unit and not on the side.

It is a logical place to have it - it has to be near the source and no long cable system would really work - but I just never thought to look between the wheels on the side.

Turns out that the stem is a little bent and the valve was pretty tough to close, but I suspect that is normal for a thin stem in that area and for a valve that's been open for some time.

I appreciate the help from everyone on all my posts. I am new to this particular level of RV (two old Class C's before) so it's great to have such support. In fact, this is certainly the best owner's support forum of any kind I have seen.

Thanks again!

decarteaux in Fallon, NV
2008 Montana 3400RL, 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 HD Laramie w/Cummins 5.9L 24 valve TurboDiesel. Andersen Ultimate hitch
Old 07-05-2020, 01:03 PM   #5
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rondo View Post
I can't believe how may of these questions there have been concerning the second (galley) gray tank valve. Apparently the sale people and/or the techs that are giving the Predelivery Inspection are not telling them about this pull handle OR they don't know about it themselves. My guess is the second choice. This has been a question asked nearly every week for the past 10 years or better. The reason for the handle back in front of the front axle or between the axles is because of the location of the galley gray tank and Keystone Montana have not changed, I think, since the beginning of the Montana being manufactured. If they had to put the handle in the convenient center they would have to use an extremely long cable and that would cause even more problems with it binding up or kinking and then not being able to open the valve to drain it. Dan-- don't feel alone on this question because you are not the only one that has put an inquiry in on this very point. When other questions come up, ask away because this is the place to get answers from the experts-- actual Montana owners.
well the dealer was nice enough to leave my galley valve open and not tell me about. got a nice shower when I took the cap off.
Yes I installed a gate valve right after that.
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 01:34 PM   #6
decarteaux
Established Member

M.O.C. #26474
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffba View Post
well the dealer was nice enough to leave my galley valve open and not tell me about. got a nice shower when I took the cap off.
Yes I installed a gate valve right after that.
Sorry for laughing, but the exact same thing happened to me! In fact, I even went and bought a gate valve here at the RV park right after. It leaks a little, so I am currently working on the silicon solution to tighten it up a bit. But now that I can close the galley valve, it won't matter as much.

decarteaux in Fallon, NV