Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 07-04-2020, 11:45 AM   #1
Doug Kindred
Established Member

M.O.C. #21812
Serious elecrial problem

Well wouldn"t ya know the first trip ut this year our 329 RLS has a problem. Let me start at the beginning. Purrchased ne in 2005. The following year the tv in the living room no longer received a connection to the tv center in the bedroom. Took it in and the rpair lasted for two trips. Hasn't worked since. I ran a cable in by the fridge and use a splitter at the pedistals that supply cable. The pek we'ree in now doesn't. Not so bothered with that. We stream now. The bigger problem is: we now have no ac to half the outlets in the rig. The two outlets by the sink, the outlets by the dinette plus the outside one beneath the interior one in th dinette. Also the ceiling fan and the three 110 lights. I have no clue how they ran the wire when this unit was built. Many moons ago I worked summers while in college for a company which later became Monaco Motor Homes. They started out building campers. Anybody have any suggestions on where to start?

Anyway, I hope everyone is having a great Fourth! To all of the vets, Thanks for your service. That includes all the Fire foks, Police and the health workers too.

Doug Kindred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 12:03 PM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Start at your fuse box and make sure both 50amp breakers are on. Next, check the pedestal and if it's providing power on both legs then the power cord and/or the power input connector would be my next place to look. It sounds like you've lost one 50amp side (50amp actually consist of 2 50amp sides)
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 12:10 PM   #3
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
I agree with Dick. With that many things losing power it is likely loss of one leg of the 50 amp supply. Common problems are the pedestal, your power cord, or the receptacle on the trailer your power cord plugs in to.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 12:11 PM   #4
Doug Kindred
Established Member

M.O.C. #21812
We're only connected to 30 amp here. I usually try to get 50 but it has always worked on 30 before. I will check the shore power plug though. I did have a problem plugging it in.

Thanks
Doug Kindred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 12:41 PM   #5
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
If you do have some AC, then it may be your adapter. Or could still be your cord or the trailer receptacle.

I would first use a meter and see if you have 120 vac to both hots on your adapter and go from there.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 02:28 PM   #6
Texan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19873
It could be no more than a loose connection on one of the 50 amp legs. Make sure both legs are tighten down tight. Someone on here just had that problem and one leg in the breaker box had come loose. It's usually harder to find the problem than correct it. Good luck.
Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 03:28 PM   #7
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
It happened to us on both Montana's I am with the loss of one leg of the 50 amps my problem was in the power receptacle.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 12:11 AM   #8
Texan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19873
I thought i had lost a leg on my power cord and i didn't have my volt meter with me so here i am taking my cord apart and finding nothing wrong with it. I told the rv park i thought they had a bad post and they assured me that wasn't the case. I connected my power cord to the extension cord and plugged it into the post next door and everything worked great. I left it like that for the night. I don't leave home without my volt meter anymore. Most problems loosing a leg comes from the power cord, breaker, pedestal or rv receptacle and all are fairly easy to fix. Beyond that and i am lost.
Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 06:42 AM   #9
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan View Post
I thought i had lost a leg on my power cord and i didn't have my volt meter with me so here i am taking my cord apart and finding nothing wrong with it. I told the rv park i thought they had a bad post and they assured me that wasn't the case. I connected my power cord to the extension cord and plugged it into the post next door and everything worked great. I left it like that for the night. I don't leave home without my volt meter anymore. Most problems loosing a leg comes from the power cord, breaker, pedestal or rv receptacle and all are fairly easy to fix. Beyond that and i am lost.
Your EMS should have told you if the pedestal was bad
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 01:26 PM   #10
bcrvman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26399
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Kindred View Post
Well wouldn"t ya know the first trip ut this year our 329 RLS has a problem. Let me start at the beginning. Purrchased ne in 2005. The following year the tv in the living room no longer received a connection to the tv center in the bedroom. Took it in and the rpair lasted for two trips. Hasn't worked since. I ran a cable in by the fridge and use a splitter at the pedistals that supply cable. The pek we'ree in now doesn't. Not so bothered with that. We stream now. The bigger problem is: we now have no ac to half the outlets in the rig. The two outlets by the sink, the outlets by the dinette plus the outside one beneath the interior one in th dinette. Also the ceiling fan and the three 110 lights. I have no clue how they ran the wire when this unit was built. Many moons ago I worked summers while in college for a company which later became Monaco Motor Homes. They started out building campers. Anybody have any suggestions on where to start?

Anyway, I hope everyone is having a great Fourth! To all of the vets, Thanks for your service. That includes all the Fire foks, Police and the health workers too.
Look for a GFCI that has tripped. Sometimes they are hidden, mounted up under a shelf or who knows. The GFCI will have several circuits wired into it's load side and might be your problem. Also make sure you turn every breaker off then on again, some breakers look on when they are off.
3,000 watt hybrid inverter with 120A charger
bcrvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 01:32 PM   #11
bcrvman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26399
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Kindred View Post
We're only connected to 30 amp here. I usually try to get 50 but it has always worked on 30 before. I will check the shore power plug though. I did have a problem plugging it in.

Thanks
So you have a 50A female to 30A male adapter. Do you know how to use a VOM to make sure the 30A end hot is connected to BOTH the 50A hots.

Basically verify 30A Ground to 50A Ground (round pin), then with one of the 30A pins check all the 50 pins, if it meters out to only the pin above the 50A round ground pin then that is Neutral, the remaining 30A pin should meter to the 2 50A side pins.
Let us know the results.
3,000 watt hybrid inverter with 120A charger
bcrvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 04:24 PM   #12
Kurt D Jankowski
Established Member

M.O.C. #10267
Start at the electric pedestal make sure you have 50 amp to start with then try if you have the twist lock chord make sure that is twisted and tight outside to the trailer being that is a 2005 we might need a new ends on your cord or a new cord I had a problem where the one air would cut off and the bedroom air would stay running when the washer went into spin cycle except the trailer enough to loosen up the cord in the back of the trailer and I only had half the trailer working
Kurt D Jankowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 09:36 AM   #13
Randy E
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21626
I lost 4 outlets and my ceiling fan. Turned out to be a loose wire inside the plug where you connect shore power at the rear of the RV. 1 of the 50 amp wires come out of the plug socket that was never tightened at the factory. Easy to check. Make sure the power is off, then pop the plug out and check the red and black wire to see if its tight. Get help checking if you don't understand electrical.
2016 Chevy DD 4x4
Randy E is offline   Reply With Quote