Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-09-2020, 09:13 AM   #21
cgeis48
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9174
I have a new Legacy and would not be without the disc brakes. Also, it has two side cameras as well as the standard backup camera. The package includes a solid built-in surge protector (not sure if that's standard), love the built-in cord reel; it makes cord management so much easier and it's located in the middle of the trailer, I prefer the Mor-Ryde suspension and hitch, being able to operate most systems with my smartphone is very convenient.

cgeis48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 02:28 PM   #22
BRJ
Established Member

M.O.C. #24738
We ordered our Legacy in Sept 2019. We went with the works including paint. The paint was important to us, so the Legacy package was NOT optional. This is by far the most well built and beautiful unit (inside and out) that we have had. I think the In Command and solar are awesome. And the generator was a must for us. We spend most of our time travelling to BC, Yukon and Alaska.
Now we just need to use it.
BRJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 04:37 AM   #23
Tom N OH
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17678
The Legacy package was well worth the upgrade in price for us. LOVE the disk brakes now that I got all of the air bled out of the system. The full body paint is great too & the rear cap is a beautiful upgrade over the flat back wall. The surge protector isn’t the greatest unit. Doesn’t give all of the protection of a true EMS. The generator/solar prep wasn’t a big deal for us. Love the camera system. Don’t use the side cameras much, but the rear camera is a life saver.
Tom N OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 05:34 AM   #24
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
Agree on the cameras, Tom. Unfortunately, our 3791RD can't have the rear cap due to the garage door. I guess I'd rather have the garage anyway, but the rear cap does look nice. The surge protector is very basic, and not an EMS. Gen and solar prep not a big deal for us either. I have no intention of using either.
RMcNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 02:04 PM   #25
Byron B
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18751
We purchased a new (to us) 2019 3121RL with the legacy package about 6 weeks ago. Right when the Rv market was still dead but before the present boom in central Tx. Ours did not have the disc brakes😢 but we will be adding them. As it was used, I am not certain what the elderly owners before us added but we have a solar panel, full body paint, cord reel, double pane windows, washer/dryer stack, rear cap, residential fridge (this is where the solar is very useful), rear heat pump, in command center, upgraded (?) suspension, etc. Not too sure about all of the electronics but am trying to get used to them. I miss light switches!
I should probably be in jail right now because for what we paid, we would be considered having stolen his rig. Happy with the Legacy Package. It is well worth what the previous owners paid for it!
This our travel rig which we will occupy 4 or 5 months per year. The rest of the time while in the US, we live in our Mobile Suites which we do not tow. Happy, for the most part, with the quality of this rig. I do have a problem which I will post about on a new thread.
Byron B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 03:24 PM   #26
lightsout
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24938
Quote:
Originally Posted by janetsinbox View Post
We wanted full body paint and it comes with Legacy. For more information on how nice the Legacy package is below is a video link. We did have to order to get full body paint but we thought the resale would be better since there aren't too many out there.

We have no regrets!
Happy travels!
Sorry to break it to you the Legacy Package adds little to the resale value. Last year we purchased our 2019 3791RD Used with Legacy and full body paint. The previous owner only had it for about 6 months. The MSRP was $110K they paid $86K I bought it used for $58K. Like all that purchase a new Montana you will take a bath when you decide to sell it, these thing depreciate like crazy (we would NEVER buy new). Let me add we bought ours from a dealer.

Having owner a legacy with full body paint i would not order one with Legacy if I did buy new.

The Brakes are great (I would add those myself though), the in command take it or leave it.

The Cord reel nice but it is a challenge to get it to wind properly without having to hand control the cord making it a dirty job.

The cabinet Stiles (really that is an upgrade) no big deal.

Gen Prep nice to have but I do not plan to use a installed gen ( I will use portable if needed.

The Furrion Camera system is total junk, I plan to remove it and install a wired system.

Full Body paint I do really like not $9K like but I do like it, however I can easily live without it. Here in the NW with all the trees paint can easily scratch, at least with the standard gel coat it is easily repaired. although the stickers have a limited life.

So overall having owned a newer legacy package Montana I would not spend extra except for the Brakes, however I am proud of the Montana Legacy we own and get lots of compliments on the Full Body paint from many including other Montana owners.

Bottom line though that $9K for Legacy plus the cost of Paint you will be lucky to get 10%-20% of that back when you resell however you will likely sell yours faster then non legacy competition for sale at the same time.
lightsout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 05:48 PM   #27
Bob and Jeannette
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22589
[QUOTE=lightsout;1190375]Sorry to break it to you the Legacy Package adds little to the resale value. Last year we purchased our 2019 3791RD Used with Legacy and full body paint. The previous owner only had it for about 6 months. The MSRP was $110K they paid $86K I bought it used for $58K. Like all that purchase a new Montana you will take a bath when you decide to sell it, these thing depreciate like crazy (we would NEVER buy new). Let me add we bought ours from a dealer.

/QUOTE]

We paid 70k for ours and the MSRP was 114K. It was new and from a dealer, RV USA in VA. I like the legacy package including in Command. It was hot today and we went shopping In Orlando after Church so I used in Command to check the temperature inside of our Montana, pretty cool.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5834A537-6013-48E7-B5FA-58278D74FD92.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	137.8 KB
ID:	6811  
Bob and Jeannette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 07:03 PM   #28
lightsout
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24938
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob and Jeannette View Post

We paid 70k for ours and the MSRP was 114K. It was new and from a dealer, RV USA in VA. I like the legacy package including in Command. It was hot today and we went shopping In Orlando after Church so I used in Command to check the temperature inside of our Montana, pretty cool.

MSRP is FAKE NEWS, no one has ever paid MSRP and if they did God help them in life, in fact it it just shows how unethical the industry is. If you think those inflated numbers actually mean anything then I have a bridge to sell you. Name any other High dollar product that has a retail price of $114k and you buy from the dealer for $70K ($44K discount 40% discount) and this applies almost 100% of the time.

Now take that 40% discount (haha) and in 6 months it is worth another 20% less which is exactly what happened to the folks that owned my Montana Legacy. and today my 2019 probably has a real value of $49K to $52K which is a 50% reduction from MSRP in one model years time.
Old 07-12-2020, 07:05 PM   #29
Bob and Jeannette
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22589
Lights out I am just saying that you don’t have to pay 86k new for a painted legacy. I paid 70k.

Did your name come from the book?
Old 07-12-2020, 07:10 PM   #30
MARK A
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18157
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Traveler View Post
Assuming you are talking 20 or 21 models:
The biggest plus is the brakes.
You also get the in command - you will find mixed reviews on in.
The cabinetry is the same on the Montana line.
A lot of folks like the power cable reel.
I believe the rear cap is mostly aesthetics.
Day night shades are also standard.
Solar prep on all Montanas.
Minor difference in suspension.

I can't speak to the newer models, but 2016/17 Legacy cabinets are NOT the same. Doors and hardware yes. Face frames no. The Legacy face frames are solid hardwood, the standard models got vinyl covered poplar.

Mark
MARK A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 07:11 PM   #31
Bob and Jeannette
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22589
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARK A View Post
I can't speak to the newer models, but 2016/17 Legacy cabinets are NOT the same. Doors and hardware yes. Face frames no. The Legacy face frames are solid hardwood, the standard models got vinyl covered poplar.

Mark
My 2020 is all hardwood. 😊
Bob and Jeannette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 02:36 PM   #32
lightsout
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24938
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob and Jeannette View Post
Lights out I am just saying that you don’t have to pay 86k new for a painted legacy. I paid 70k.

Did your name come from the book?
Who said I paid $86K I paid $58K the previous owner paid $86K then kept it 6 months then I bought it. My point was the Paint and legacy does not increase resale value much if at all, whereas it only adds to your losses when you sell. Legacy and Paint is not a wise option investment.
Old 07-13-2020, 03:50 PM   #33
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
I wouldn't buy one of these new if I didn't intend to keep it 10 years or more. I'm of the opinion that buying used is buying someone else's headache but good buys can be found with enough patience. Our trailer without the legacy didn't have the look we like.

RVs are like boats, they are wood and fiberglass structures into which one dumps money.
Old 07-13-2020, 04:50 PM   #34
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
RV-- Hole in the road you pour money into
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2022, 03:15 PM   #35
TripleP
Established Member

M.O.C. #31426
The paint upgrade is another reason for the legacy package
Old 10-17-2022, 06:39 PM   #36
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
I must be one those idiots that needs a bridge. I can't speak to your state but here in CA MSRP means that's what you're going to pay for an RV! I'm not going into detail but suffices to say that when you have to be on a 60 day waiting list for the rig you want, you'll pay what they ask. Nobody's dictating terms to dealers here in Northern CA. I checked. I've been a sales manager for 6 years... so I know the game. Yes I could have saved a few grand in Utah but I would have to drive there and get it. Then I would have to fight to find a dealer that would perform warranty in my area. My decision was worth every penny.
Old 10-17-2022, 07:02 PM   #37
team bradfield
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19994
full body paint and rear cap, after 20+ years, 4 units, the peeling decals sucks, plus ours has the front windshield, where we camp in yellowstone it just make an amazing view when snowing

The "Black Pearl"-2017 3731FL Legacy Package
2017 F-450 Platinum, 6.7 PSD
team bradfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 07:25 AM   #38
Derby6
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #31898
No regrets here--we love all the upgrades. Now (at least 2022) Legacy does NOT + Full body paint. That is in addition to Legacy. Still glad I got that too.
Prices have definitely gone up; MSRP on my rig is 140K. I paid no where close to that.
I plan to have this unit many many years, so if it goes as planned, I feel we'll be just fine.
Derby6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 07:51 PM   #39
MARK A
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18157
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Traveler View Post
Assuming you are talking 20 or 21 models:
The biggest plus is the brakes.
You also get the in command - you will find mixed reviews on in.
The cabinetry is the same on the Montana line.
A lot of folks like the power cable reel.
I believe the rear cap is mostly aesthetics.
Day night shades are also standard.
Solar prep on all Montanas.
Minor difference in suspension.
The Legacy Package in 2016 included solid wood cabinet face frames, the standard Montana had vinyl wrapped poplar. Eventually the vinyl will peel like the bathroom door.
The list of other perks was considerable.

Rear cap, outer gel coat upgrade, heated bathroom floor,
MorRyde pin box, upgraded MorRyde suspension, day/night shades, Charge Wizard for the batteries and more I can't remember. Regretfully Disc brakes weren't available in 2016, I had to do my own.

Mark
MARK A is offline   Reply With Quote