Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 03-23-2007, 01:26 PM   #1
Garin1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2773
Reese slider

Oops, I have the Reese Signature Slider 18k and have never used the slider function. I am moving to a new site that is tighter and will need it. The problem is I have never used it before and my manual is back in Louisiana. HEEELLLP.

Garin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 03:01 PM   #2
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
You can download your manual at http://www.reeseprod.com/. I have the 16K slider, and it is very easy to operate. Just makes a little noise when it slides and latches. Scares the DW every time.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 06:08 PM   #3
Garin1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2773
Will, I went to that web site and could not find the procedure.
Old 03-24-2007, 01:37 AM   #4
jpbcny
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4571
To use the hitch in a tight area, shift the handle to the "Maneuvering" Position,

apply your trailer brakes manually, when you pull foward the hitch will slide on the rails to the rear, and lock in.

I usually wait until I have unhooked to return the hitch to the "Towing" Position, (I just shift the the handle to Towing Position, and push it forward with a board)

Though I Have returned it while hooked up, just do the opposite of the "Maneuvering" instructions (Shift the handle to "Towing" Position, apply your trailer brakes manually, and back to the 5er until the hitch slides into position).

Be forewarned it will make a LOUD bang when the hitch slides to the end of the rails, and locks into either position.

JP
jpbcny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 11:37 AM   #5
Garin1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2773
JP, there is a pin on a plastic lanyard forward of the handle. Does this need to be removed first??
Old 03-24-2007, 01:12 PM   #6
jpbcny
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4571
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Garin1

JP, there is a pin on a plastic lanyard forward of the handle. Does this need to be removed first??
I don't have a "Signature" series model, I have a Reese 16K Quik-Slide, and it doesn't have any "Pin" that I'm aware of...

I would try to change the handle to the "Maneuvering" position (without the 5er hooked up), and try to use a board, or other leverage device to shift the hitch on the rails (it may take a bit of force to initially move it). Then you will know whether any pins have to be removed...

Sorry I couldn't have a definitive answer for you
JP
jpbcny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 01:38 PM   #7
Garin1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2773
Thanks JP, I know there are others out there with the same hitch as me. Someone will come along soon. Thanks again.
Old 03-24-2007, 07:26 PM   #8
COPINMI
Established Member

M.O.C. #5945
Send a message via Yahoo to COPINMI
Yes that pin on the plastic lanyard needs to be pulled. That is what locks the latch in the hitch and keeps the hitch from sliding back and forth. Once the slider is locked back/forward, reinsert the pin in case the latch didn't catch in the slot.
COPINMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 08:07 PM   #9
Garin1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2773
Thanks Pat, I thought that pin looked suspicious(by the way,,,I put ten years behind the badge,,,brother)
Old 03-25-2007, 03:16 AM   #10
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
After moving the handle and sliding the hitch per JP's excellent instructions, get out and make sure the handle popped into the locked position. Otherwise when you move the trailer it will again slide on you, making quite a banging jolt when it hits the end of its travel (been there). When you put the handle in the maneuvering or towing position, you do not move it all the way to the end of its travel. At least not on ours. Ours has a sticker on the mechanism that shows how to do this.

As JP said, it makes a loud banging noise and jolt when it hits the end. For that reason I found it best if I press on the truck's brake pedal while giving it some throttle. Releasing the brake pressure a little to let the truck creep forward keeps the truck from jumping forward and moderates the bang when it hits the end of the travel. With a little practice you can do this smoothly. However, I don't do this frequently enough to develop that finesse.

If your manual lever on the brake controller will not lock the trailer brakes you may need to block the trailer wheels.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 03:41 AM   #11
Clyde n Deb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3477
Aso make sure the slide parts are lubed a bit. If I don't use mine for awhile, it tends to dry out and that is just enough to prevent it from sliding at all.
Clyde n Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 07:20 AM   #12
rv_nut
Established Member

M.O.C. #6485
I have the 18K Signature slider. Here's a few comments from memory, so I hope I get it right:

Yes, you have to pull the pin to slide the hitch. You may have problems getting the pin out. If so, have a helper pull on the pin while you gently put backwards or forwards pressure on the hitch using the engine.

On mine, the maneuvering position is with the handle straight up. When the hitch slides back, the handle will rotate and lock to the rear. When you slide the hitch back to the tow position, the handle rotates to the front.

If you have probelms getting it to slide, you may have to take some weight off the hitch using the landing gear(Reese says you must always do this, but I have read that many don't need to do it). I had to do this the first time, because the hitch was not sufficiently lubricated during installation . Be careful if you do this -- go gently, becasue you don't want to put pressure on the landing gear legs. Make sure you have the trailer brakes locked.

Hope this helps.
Ken
rv_nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 02:35 PM   #13
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
Gary One more point to add be careful if the truck and trailer do not stay on the same elevation, the slide will move the hitch close to the tailgate if up! Once I did cut the black plastic piece on the tailgate protector with a slight uphill climb.SeeYa
Illini Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 03:27 PM   #14
Garin1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2773
Thanks everyone. You people are the greatest.
Old 03-27-2007, 05:24 PM   #15
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I found the absolute best thing for those slides is the dry lube for rv slides that you buy at camping world (and some rv dealers and an occasional walmart). My slider was frozen solid. I'd sit on the toolbox and lean against the cab for leverage and try to push or kick the hitch along the slides and couldn't budge it. On the advice of a friend we sprayed the heck out of the slides and into the slide mechanism via every opening we could find. One kick and that sucker flew to the other end of the slide. And continues to do so although I've not checked it in several months now.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 03:19 AM   #16
ken
Montana Master

M.O.C. #345
Everyone has already told you the instructions. So I won't go into it again. We have the Reese Signature hitch and slider and the instructions you got are good. We had to use ours this winter at a winter Good Sam Samboree in Florida. Pulled the pin, then moved the bar so it would slide to the rear and give me extra room between the cab and Montana. Themovement of the truck forward released the slide backwards. had plenty of room to move the Montana into a tight space. Reversed the processed when I pulled out and had the Montana directly behind the truck. I threw the lever in the forward positon and backed up. It locked into the towing position and I replaced the pin into the lock. We didn't have the instructions either and had to do it by trial and error. It works.
ken is offline   Reply With Quote