Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Navigation
Click Here to Login

Old 11-12-2006, 03:02 AM   #1
jerrybb
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6198
Streets & Trips GPS

Does anyone use Streets & Trips GPS ,,, with a laptop with your travels .... Thinking about geting it or something like it ,,,,,, Any info ??? Thanks jerryb

jerrybb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 03:12 AM   #2
boylanag
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5965
I have used the Delorme system for years for my business travels and now with the Monty and have never regretted the purchase. It is very user friendly and accurate, in my experience. Jim
boylanag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 03:45 AM   #3
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
We have users of Delorme, S& T and Garmin and a few other GPS units all here at MOC

We have had several interesting and spirited discussions, they might all be in the Archives now. You could try a search and be sure to say to look in the Archives!! Ya have to click something there in your set up for the search.

Al loves his Garmin, I am not as thrilled with it. We each have our reasons. I found the first batch of software to be lame, to put it simply. Others here on the forum, as well as Al, had no problems. I will say since updating the software, I am not as likely to take a shotgun to the horrid little woman. Garmin does have far superior voice commands and volume control over S & T.

They all use the same basic maps, understand those come from the Government. The main difference is in the underlying software and added goodies. One will have better data bases for fuel, or food, or whatever. Others will have another underlying data base that is better for movie theaters, whatever.

The S & T and the computer screen are prefered for my use, because one of the things that I personally abhor in Garmin is the size of the screen (now they have a larger screen, ya might want to look at that). S & T has the worst volume control! UGHHHH Have to wear earphones to hear it while underway in a car or truck, where was Bill when they released the 2006 version?? in a padded totally quiet room??

Note: I have not updated to any 2007 version of S & T. There may be improvements there in things like volume control.

I have used S & T and Delorme (years ago) on my computers for a good many years. I do like my mapping software!!

Disclaimers: you still need to know where you are going and maybe write down some basic instructions, just in case your GPS fouls up, there is another thread on just that right now at MOC, started by Patodonn. These things are not foolproof. They are very handy, but we need to still have some common sense and maps! I had hoped to ditch many of the maps, did not happen, if anything, I have more now.

Much of this is the ole, Personal preference thingy!

Good luck, have fun picking out your favorite.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 04:46 AM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We use the Garman GPS-18.They updated the soft ware and it is much better now. It is a receiver only, about the size of a hockey puck that attaches to the TV roof or winsshield and inputs to your lap top PC..Big picture for us weak of eye.. They are do the same thing, they all will give errors at times..It has to be user friendly for us to use.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 05:49 AM   #5
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
We use the Delorme system. I like it and learn more each time we use it. Like anything else you have to learn and then once you do, yours is best! LOL I haven't seen any reason to change to another software. They all have their pros and cons. I did a lot of research before I bought it and I am a Microsoft person so for some reason I chose the Delorme. I don't remember now what the deciding factor was. CRS at work.
Happy trails...................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 07:20 PM   #6
jkbeaudin
Established Member

M.O.C. #6399
I use Delorme and CoPilot from ALK. Have used them both on Laptops, desktops and Pocket PC (for the motorcycle GPS). Versus the GPS & software dedicated to a single unit, I like the the PC based GPS systems because I can plan my overall winter trip covering 10,000 Kms over 5 months on my desktop PC and then download the file to my laptop that sits on a removable table I built for my Truck. When we are down in Texas for 3.5 of our 5 month journey I can download a smaller file to my Pocket PC and use this smaller device while driving in the area.

This gives me lots of alternatives of screen sizes to use and I can purchase (or not) newer versions of software every year or every other year. I also get info about height restrictions from CoPilot. Their newer version is just coming out November 15.
jkbeaudin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 08:34 PM   #7
JH Sechelt
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4976
Streets & Trips works well for us. The maps are not always right on, but for the most they are pretty close. We like the large screen of a laptop, plus if you already have a laptop, a GPS program like Streets & Trips or Delorme is the least expensive way to go. I think they all are great programs & they sure make traveling in unfamiliar areas a lot easier.

J&D
JH Sechelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 01:16 AM   #8
Montana Rog
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6103
I have the Garmin Ique and love it. Since my wife cannot read a map if her life depended on it. It has voice prompts so I don't have to take my eyes off the road either. It is basically a palm pilot, but I use it for the gps part. It changes time zones...changes color for night..has voice prompts..tells you ahead of time when your turn is coming up...and reroutes for you if you happen to take a wrong turn. It was fairly expensive, but you can add lots of memory to download the whole United States and Canada right down to addresses. I don't try to locate businesses, other than the address, because they change buildings like we change socks. Anyway, that's my story and I'm stickin to it..Rog
Montana Rog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 02:13 AM   #9
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
We have planned most of our trips on Microsoft Streets and Trips and then graduated to the GPS system. It was an inexpensive upgrade since we already had S & T. I need to learn the software better but since we always travel with our laptop in the truck (yeah, Verizon aircard!) the system works well for us.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 01:39 PM   #10
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
We use Delorme with the GPS and I have a Jotto Desk that I hookup to hold the laptop between the bucket seats...kinda like a pilots seat drive by wire or is that GPS...! Been using this setup for many years and update software every other year when Santa remembers me. I like the rotate map to direction of travel feature so you always know your left turns from your right turns.
Chuck
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 02:32 PM   #11
DONnANNIE
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6088
Send a message via AIM to DONnANNIE Send a message via Yahoo to DONnANNIE
I have a Pioneer AVIC-Z1. Technically it is called a HDD Multimedia AV Navigation Server. It is an indash (double DIN size)AM, FM, Library for MP3(uses 2GB of the 3 GB HDD, GPS system that uses 1GB of the HDD for mapping software,CD/DVD player, Backup camera, TV tuner, Bluetooth hands free connection for your bluetooth cellphone and XM or SIRUS satellite radio, with XM you can get traffic & weather alerts from 29 big cities like Dallas for $29 per month. I also has voice activation. The screen is 7" and is bright even in daylight. At night it reverses colors and the screen dims but is quite readable. I also have a Magellan handheld GPS with small screen and a bracket for the windshield. When I was looking, I looked at some of the brands previously mentioned but they were all hanging from the windshield or on the dash and the screens were to small. I also looked at Eclipse. They have GPS similar to Pioneer. I liked the Pioneer better.

I thought about hooking GPS up to my laptop, as I have MS Street & Trips, but that was to big an bulky.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking your windshield, dash or laptop
version of GPS. It just wasn't for me. The indash GPS is just another version to talk about.
DONnANNIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 03:38 PM   #12
old turbo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2486
I have street and trips 2006. It works for us. I have found a few mistakes on the directions. The sound is bad but you can get a cassette system that plugs into your radio deck if you have one that will amplify the voice through your radio. Cost about $5.00 at Circuit city or Best Buy.
old turbo is offline   Reply With Quote