Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Navigation
Click Here to Login

Old 04-10-2006, 05:19 AM   #61
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Ours works on our 2006 GMC. It also works inside my stick house which amazed me.
Happy trails.......................

Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 10:07 AM   #62
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I have both the Delorme tub and the Microsoft tub and both work great through our windshield and even inside the Montana. I have also heard some of the new windshields do cause a problem but would think that would affect all brands.

I can't answer VanMan's question since we use S&T and SA on the laptop while traveling. I like the big screen and automatic increase in detail as I approach a turn (S&T). This is another of those personal preference items.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 06:42 PM   #63
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
VanMan,

yes, we are using S & T to pre plan route, then matching that route on the Garmin 2610 via their mapping software. The Garmin software is on one of the laptops. The route is then downloaded from the computer into the Garmin. (OH you can route with the Garmin without the computer software.)

Garmin voice commands, in our opinion are superior to S & T. Garmin has great warnings about "stay to the right and then immediately turn left."

S & T has trouble with not being loud enough, the gal on Garmin, at level 5 is MORE than loud enough and we can take it to 10 I believe.

Garmin, screen, too small, hard to get detail, as you zoom you can no longer read street names or numbers.

S & T on a computer screen much larger, of course, detail MUCH better than Garmin.

Garmin is weak on some things I like to find (like cemeteries). S & T is much better (for cemeteries).

Last summer we found that we do better if we use both in conjunction with each other, trying to use each to enhance the weaknesses in the other.

Going to Fredericksburg TX last week, I found the campground on S & T, Garmin did not even recognize the address.

Garmin does a STAND UP job of rerouting. S & T you must manually ask for a reroute, Garmin does that automatically (at least that is the way I remember it, correct me if I am wrong here).

Garmin software was recently updated and we are finding the updates have made a considerable improvement!! I would have to say that before I hated it. Sorry, but that is the truth. The software was not up to what I would have expected when we paid that much for a program. It had what I felt were some serious flaws and difficulties. Some of those seem to have been corrected in the year since we updated the software. Before I would not have given that thing to my best friend. With the newer software, I might keep it myself!

S & T has some serious flaws too, but, I did not pay NEARLY as much for it. The volume of the voice is so low, I had to think to my self: "come on Bill (as in Gates) did you even test this thing in a moving car???" I had trouble with it on the way to RGV this January crashing. I have not updated or patched the software, need to investigate any possible updates or patches available. But, I truly love the size of the screen and the way I can flip that map up and down in size so fast.

Still have paper maps too! feel we need ALL of the above, paper and electronic.

OH, John and Marge, that remote for Garmin, really makes operation more enjoyable and in fact, easier.
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 07:36 PM   #64
D and M On The Road
Montana Master

M.O.C. #49
Arghhhhhh.... my head is spinning! I received a Garmin GPS 72 on Saturday and I about went crazy trying to figure it out. I was able to initialize it and then set up our house as a waypoint. Other than that, I am stumped. I think I need to actually be moving in a vehicle to learn more?

I'll be asking many questions as I have time to play with it.

D and M On The Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 02:46 AM   #65
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Doug & Margee,

Al keeps telling me there is a "learning curve" with these things. SIGHHHH

You should be able to play with it enough at home to figure out where the functions are. Movement does make a difference., but have someone drive and someone else play with Garmin.
Old 04-11-2006, 04:26 AM   #66
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
Carol - Thanks for the info. I have a handheld Garmin EMap from a couple of years ago, which is almost useless for what we do (but fun the first few times). I bought the S&T 2005 with GPS last year to run on my laptop. I use it to plan our trips and it has been a real time saver a couple of times when we got lost. It has no voice prompts so I'm thinking about upgrading it. My better half's idea of navigating is reading or sleeping and she has no desire to use a computer or even a map. It seems like whenever she "helps" and we get lost it's always her fault - duh !! She does look kinda' cute over there sleeping, though !!

After seeing your reply about using the Garmin, I ordered a Magellan 700 RoadMate. I had bunion surgery last week and am off work, so between the shopping channels and the Internet this is getting REAL expen$$ive !! I keep thinking there is something out there that will get her more interested in the co-piloting.

We were at the Fredericksburg KOA a few weeks ago - pretty handy location. We had spent spring break (Jena teaches)at Austin and then a couple of days at F to take in their spring break activities and the flea market.
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 05:31 AM   #67
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
VanMan,

We stayed the KOA, lovely park, lovely people running it. Will go back!
Old 04-19-2006, 04:23 PM   #68
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
I have had three GPS units from Garmin, going back to the 8 channel model. One advantage of the puck styles is they are compatible with the USB port. My Garmins all require serial ports, of which most new computer have none. So, I use a serial/usb converter. Al, the following link will explain where the maps come from - it isn't just the government and each manufacturer use different sources for different areas http://www.gpsinformation.org/dale/mapmakers.htm. We use Streets and Trips and also Street Atlas. I haven't updated to Streets and Trips 2006, but usually Sam's Club has it for less than $20. As for using the laptop versus the handheld unit, screen size and information are the two main reasons for the laptop. I also use Garmin's City Select 6.0. Advantages to each, so I use them for different items. I also have the Fishing Hot Spots version for the midwest, for you fisherpeople.

One last item, the latest is the Qwest II (don't confuse with the terrible stereo). It will also download the FM traffic reports from cities like Chicago and automatically reroute around traffic tie ups.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 01:26 AM   #69
uhftx
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2446
If you would like to check out streets and trips with a gps receiver for the laptop.

There is an ebay store called "trading circuit". They are apparently affiliated with "circuit city" retail store.

Some items are customer returns scratch and dent sales and stuff that is overstock or has parts missing. The prices are at a major discount.

There is Microsoft Streets and Trips 2006 with GPS.

They always seem to have this item on their site. Beware of the parts that are missing or condition. But you can get the software and the receiver for (what I've seen) $30 ~ $60 bucks depending on condition. Then there's the approx $10 bucks shipping. I still think its a bargan just be sure of what you are bidding on if you decide its for you.

Trading Circuit ebay store GPS search link
http://search.stores.ebay.com/Tradin...leZgpsQQsofpZ0

This item requires a laptop and is not a standalone GPS reciever.

I haven't bought one nor do I own the unit. Just though you might want to know about this site.
I use a Garmin Streetpilot and can interface it to the laptop.
Old 04-20-2006, 01:42 PM   #70
old turbo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2486
I found that all is not true with streets and trips 2006.One new strip of highway in New York state was not included ,had me off course. On the same trip it had me make a left turn at the end of an exit ramp to my detination, when in fact it should have been a right turn. It is still a nice set up.
old turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 03:01 PM   #71
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have been using the Garman GPS 18 for about a year now.We like the big PC screen, The voice prompts are very loud. The garman software Nroute has some flaws as mentioned above but then they all do. Glad to hear there are some software updates ..will look them up. I have it stuck on the window in my PC room facing due North and get several sat's. They all do the job and you will soon be able to work around any software flaws.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 06:32 PM   #72
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
In my opinion Street Atlas has a superior voice setup than S&T although I like S&T for other things better. I have no experience with Garmin or any others.

Carol, TURN OFF Trails!! I also had crashing problems and problems with it just hanging up with the hourglass sitting there while my turn went by without my knowing it. I checked with some ms mvp's at a usenet newsgroup. They said it's a bug with the trails. Turned off the trails before we headed for the RGV and have had NO crashes or hangups since. I don't need to see where we've been, anyhow, although the trail is nice to have when we are offroad and i need to figure out how to get back home.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 01:28 PM   #73
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Steve, I think trails are off, but will recheck that. Thanks for the reminder. I actually was able to get Garmin to work pretty good with the new software, and only had to pull out the computer and S & T ONE time on the way home (while driving). Of course, a lot in Montana, while trip planning. I still don't really like that small screen, but I will bow my head and admit that the new software is much improved!
Old 04-24-2006, 03:46 PM   #74
Ishler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1328
A really good site with info on GPS hardware and software is http://www.gpspassion.com Good reviews on HW & SW plus lots of knowledgable people.
Ishler is offline   Reply With Quote