Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 03-19-2019, 04:03 PM   #1
darrylwt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17873
Keystone new KeyTV

Has anyone installed a Traveler 1000 Satellite Antenna for Dish TV on thier trailer and if so had did it work or what had to be done to get it to work? I was told by a Satellite installer that it will not work unless he ran new cable to each TV but the TV in the slide he needed to disconnect the over the air and cable TV before the satellite antenna would work. Directv Traveler antenna works but not very good.

Old 03-19-2019, 09:05 PM   #2
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
I didn't do the work, but CW in Las Vegas did over six years ago. They ran the power/control cable across the roof all the way to the front and down into the closet where they placed the satellite dish control box. The two coax cables were run to a point above the area where the converter/electric panel is located, and there is where they found the coax that was factory installed to bring the OTA antenna signal from that front closet back to the living room TV. They cut the coax, put connectors on both ends and tied one cable from the dish to the front coax and the other to the living room coax. Made for a very clean installation.

This is a photo of the area behind our electric panel, and the two orange coax cables were the one cable that went to the living room TV, and were cut. The two coax cables next to each other, one gray and the other black, are the two cables from the Travler dish and one was connected to the rear and the other to the front orange coax cables. Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wiring to main panel2.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	102.0 KB
ID:	3347  
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 09:14 PM   #3
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
If you jave a new 2019, you should have the Key TV system installed. This is a brand new system for Montana and is designed for to operate with both Dish and DirecTV.

Look in the Files section (http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...hp?do=cat&id=3) for the 3 manuals related to Key TV. They should help with your installation.

I don't do Dish, but know a DTV SWM system is a simple plug and play system.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 07:21 AM   #4
darrylwt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17873
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohrmann View Post
I didn't do the work, but CW in Las Vegas did over six years ago. They ran the power/control cable across the roof all the way to the front and down into the closet where they placed the satellite dish control box. The two coax cables were run to a point above the area where the converter/electric panel is located, and there is where they found the coax that was factory installed to bring the OTA antenna signal from that front closet back to the living room TV. They cut the coax, put connectors on both ends and tied one cable from the dish to the front coax and the other to the living room coax. Made for a very clean installation.

This is a photo of the area behind our electric panel, and the two orange coax cables were the one cable that went to the living room TV, and were cut. The two coax cables next to each other, one gray and the other black, are the two cables from the Travler dish and one was connected to the rear and the other to the front orange coax cables. Hope this helps.
KeyTV has only been in trailer Starting September of 2018 so only about six months and the problem is that 3 signals are sent over one cable so I understand.
https://www.keystonerv.com/upper-nav...-into-your-rv/
Old 03-20-2019, 07:27 AM   #5
darrylwt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17873
Quote:
Originally Posted by carl n susan View Post
If you jave a new 2019, you should have the Key TV system installed. This is a brand new system for Montana and is designed for to operate with both Dish and DirecTV.

Look in the Files section (http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...hp?do=cat&id=3) for the 3 manuals related to Key TV. They should help with your installation.

I don't do Dish, but know a DTV SWM system is a simple plug and play system.
KeyTV works with DTV but not Dish but again DTV won't talk to the clint so you need another receiver on all TV's the only way to get Dish to work with KeyTV is to disconnect the over air and Cable TV wires from system for the living room TV in the slide and run dedicated cables the the other TV's. so I am told... I think Keystone didn't think things out when they introduced KeyTV.
Old 03-22-2019, 09:17 AM   #6
darrylwt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17873
I think I have figured out how to use the Traveler 1000 with Dish TV with a trailer that has KeyTV and use more than one TV,,, not sure yet but will try it.
you need
Winegard DP-3020 Diplexer For Dual Satellite Dish TV Antenna Combiner
Old 03-22-2019, 09:52 AM   #7
fatcatzzz
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14438
I might be missing something. Just looked at the Dish/KeyTV diagram and I see no power inserter. My travler with Dish has to have one. The Directv diagram show theirs.
fatcatzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 10:10 AM   #8
mootana
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #15746
Key TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatcatzzz View Post
I might be missing something. Just looked at the Dish/KeyTV diagram and I see no power inserter. My travler with Dish has to have one. The Directv diagram show theirs.
Your profile show you own a 2017. 2017 models don't have Key TV.
Old 03-22-2019, 07:51 PM   #9
Razrbk
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17829
A couple of years ago, while at the national rally, Elkhart Satellite Systems installed the Dish Traveler 1000 for me (two receivers, two tv's). It has worked flawlessly and they utilized the fiver's factory installed coaxial system.
Razrbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 09:05 PM   #10
Joe Hollars
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22879
The 2019 is also suppose to have automatic boost. I do not think mine is working right if it does. Only able to receive 2 channels (air). Neighbors had 7 channels.
Joe
Joe Hollars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 11:31 PM   #11
darrylwt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17873
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razrbk View Post
A couple of years ago, while at the national rally, Elkhart Satellite Systems installed the Dish Traveler 1000 for me (two receivers, two tv's). It has worked flawlessly and they utilized the fiver's factory installed coaxial system.

KeyTV didn't come out on trailers until November of 2018 therefore older trailers before that date had multiple coax cables running to each TV for different signals on newer trailers with KeyTV they have one Coax cables and a switching device for different signals on one cable to each TV and that is not the problem the problem is when you have a Dish Traveler with multiple LNB inputs and outputs trying to go thru one cable
Old 03-22-2019, 11:40 PM   #12
darrylwt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17873
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Hollars View Post
The 2019 is also suppose to have automatic boost. I do not think mine is working right if it does. Only able to receive 2 channels (air). Neighbors had 7 channels.
Joe
If you have Dish TV and a Winegard Traveler it wont work unless you use some Winegard DP-3020 Diplexer For Dual Satellite Dish TV Antenna Combiner to switch the signal or remover over the air and RV Park input cable and use the one wire for the satellite connection.

This may help
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Key TV.pdf (1.73 MB, 214 views)
Old 03-27-2019, 02:19 PM   #13
Ratco

M.O.C. #23443
We use a remote G2 dish with Dish. Our 2019 3121RL has the Key TV system. The satellite system does not work. I placed a flat coax cable through the rear window near the tv. I connected the G2 dish via coax to the receiver. The system works fine. I saw all the threads that stated the Key TV doen't work but I found a work around.

David Hewett
2019 Montana 3121 RL
Graniteville, SC
Ratco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 05:58 PM   #14
laverdur
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11972
I have one on my Monty. It works perfectly so long as there are no trees or poles in the way. Your Monty is new so you may not have one of the installation challenges I had. My Monty has a curved roof. The arc of the roof was too great to allow direct installation of the sat dish. I had to have a metal shop make wedges to under the edges of the dish. I also bought Winegard's SKA-008 Mounting Plate so that the entire deal, dish and wedges sat on the plate vs. the rubber roof. If you have a flat roof that meets the installation requirements specified by Winegard, you won't need wedges and could probably avoid the cost of the SKA-008. My Monty came from the factory with a connection in the utility bay for satellite in the living room and one for the bedroom. In my case, the coax runs across the roof to a point above the fridge. That is where the roof penetration was done. There is room behind the fridge to bring the cables down into the utility bay. The control head for the dish is installed in the bedroom closet. The power cable from the control head runs down to the basement next to the washer plumbing, then across the ceiling of the basement to the utility bay. This power cable run is longer than the cable that comes with the unit. Winegard sells an extender cable to make up the difference. See CL-SK26 Communication Cable on the Winegard web site. I'd have a detailed conversation about how the work will be done with whomever you chose before they start work. If you start getting smoke & mirrors stories about how they make the connections like I did from CW, run away fast and find someone else. Make sure you read the installation manual carefully and select a mounting location that provides plenty of room. If you anticipate travel to Canada or the extreme northeast, roof items like air conditioners can get in the way of the signal when the dish is at low angles, which it will be when you are way up in the northeast. Good luck.
Old 03-29-2019, 07:09 AM   #15
darrylwt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17873
Quote:
Originally Posted by laverdur View Post
I have one on my Monty. It works perfectly so long as there are no trees or poles in the way. Your Monty is new so you may not have one of the installation challenges I had. My Monty has a curved roof. The arc of the roof was too great to allow direct installation of the sat dish. I had to have a metal shop make wedges to under the edges of the dish. I also bought Winegard's SKA-008 Mounting Plate so that the entire deal, dish and wedges sat on the plate vs. the rubber roof. If you have a flat roof that meets the installation requirements specified by Winegard, you won't need wedges and could probably avoid the cost of the SKA-008. My Monty came from the factory with a connection in the utility bay for satellite in the living room and one for the bedroom. In my case, the coax runs across the roof to a point above the fridge. That is where the roof penetration was done. There is room behind the fridge to bring the cables down into the utility bay. The control head for the dish is installed in the bedroom closet. The power cable from the control head runs down to the basement next to the washer plumbing, then across the ceiling of the basement to the utility bay. This power cable run is longer than the cable that comes with the unit. Winegard sells an extender cable to make up the difference. See CL-SK26 Communication Cable on the Winegard web site. I'd have a detailed conversation about how the work will be done with whomever you chose before they start work. If you start getting smoke & mirrors stories about how they make the connections like I did from CW, run away fast and find someone else. Make sure you read the installation manual carefully and select a mounting location that provides plenty of room. If you anticipate travel to Canada or the extreme northeast, roof items like air conditioners can get in the way of the signal when the dish is at low angles, which it will be when you are way up in the northeast. Good luck.
KeyTV didn't come out in Montana'a until Sept. 2018 the older trailers don't have a problem because there is three cables running to each TV for Over the air and cable TV and Satellite KeyTV has one cable for all three signals with switches and that is the problem with the LNB switch on the Dish winegard Trav'ler 1000.
Old 05-03-2019, 08:28 AM   #16
brogans424
Established Member

M.O.C. #23975
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Hollars View Post
Joe
Hi there! We’re practically neighbors! (Henderson, TN)

We are having the same problem with the KeyTV on our 2019 3121RL. We can’t get OTA channels. We’re only about 15 miles from the local station antennas and can’t pick up a single channel. When I called the Keystone customer service and explained our issue, she told me that they had recently discovered that the KeyTV system would sometimes not pick up close tv stations, that their strong signal was “overwhelming” the RV antenna system. That we could try attaching an attenuator at the KeyTV box to “dumb down” the KeyTV and let it pick up the closer stations. I’ve tried a 3db, 6db and 9db configurations and none worked.

We are on schedule to drop off the RV at the dealer on the 11th (for a separate issue) and they will be looking into the KeyTV issue. We hope there’s a resolution.

We have not tried hooking up to SAT or cable tv.
brogans424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 08:33 AM   #17
Joe Hollars
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22879
Quote:
Originally Posted by brogans424 View Post

We are having the same problem with the KeyTV on our 2019 3121RL. We can’t get OTA channels. We’re only about 15 miles from the local station antennas and can’t pick up a single channel. When I called the Keystone customer service and explained our issue, she told me that they had recently discovered that the KeyTV system would sometimes not pick up close tv stations, that their strong signal was “overwhelming” the RV antenna system. That we could try attaching an attenuator at the KeyTV box to “dumb down” the KeyTV and let it pick up the closer stations. I’ve tried a 3db, 6db and 9db configurations and none worked.

We are on schedule to drop off the RV at the dealer on the 11th (for a separate issue) and they will be looking into the KeyTV issue. We hope there’s a resolution.

Howdy neighbor.
That sounds like factory double speak to me. Please keep us informed if you find a solution.
Joe
Joe Hollars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 09:38 AM   #18
JHenry

M.O.C. #23117
Joe and brogans424

I am with the team that was responsible for the development of the KeyTV. You are receiving some incorrect information and I am working to improve that within Keystone's customer service division. KeyTV does not "pick-up" channels nor is it responsible for finding channels. KeyTV is simply a clean way to distribute the different video content sources available to an RV owner. We pass whatever signal is being received by the roof top antenna to the television. There was an issue with the Furrion antennas that are responsible for "picking up" the signals on a dealer lot in the Carolinas, where they were located very close to the transmission towers. When this happens the amplification that is embedded in the antenna is too much and the signal is not recognizable by the tuner in the television. When you are at the dealership a good way to diagnose and get to the bottom of the issue is to locate a known good working antenna and disconnect the black wire on the back side of the KeyTV and connect the working antenna. Then rerun the auto-scan feature on your television and see how many channels you are able to pull in. If you get a satisfactory result you then know that the roof top antenna is the issue. We are working on video's to correct a lot of the information out there right now, and I hope to be able to post them on this forum by the end of the month! Safe travels.
JHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 03:58 PM   #19
brogans424
Established Member

M.O.C. #23975
Thanks for the info JHenry! We have a Wineguard antenna from our previous RV we may try to attach before our service appointment, if we get the time.
brogans424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 08:36 PM   #20
Yorkmontana

M.O.C. #24405
Quote:
Originally Posted by brogans424 View Post

We are having the same problem and were told to buy a 6 decibel attenuator
We live about 500 yards from a fox tv station
We got reception only twice in our driveway but the signal did not last more than a few hours. The dealer doesn’t know anything about the new Keytv system
This is pathetic and frustrating
Why try to reinvent the wheel
Yorkmontana is offline   Reply With Quote