Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-14-2004, 10:24 AM   #1
Montana_621
Montana Master

M.O.C. #621
How many more camping trips planned?

I was just curious to see how many camping trips people have planned until they close up the 5er until the spring. We will probably be closing it up in the middle of October since it gets so cold here. Not too long after that the snow flies so it's best to close it up.

Montana_621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 01:08 PM   #2
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
How many more trips....Many many more

Close up the 5er until the spring....NEVER

Don't close it up, go south. It's seldom cold and snow rarely flies in Florida in the winter.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 01:35 PM   #3
Montana_381
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #381
Oh, we'll probably be leaving soon [as soon as the Doctors and Dentists get through with us that is] for a short trip from here to The Left Coast and, eventually, back.

We won't be gone very long: after all, we'll need to be back in time to handle the Income Taxes.

What's the big deal with camping in the snow?

When we were in N. Manysodas last October-November it wasn't particularly cold [-25F] and we enjoyed it a lot!
Montana_381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 02:37 PM   #4
toolmanroy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1745
We camp year round and never close up the 5th wheel. We have a few places open year round here and bad weather never stopped us. We don't get snow in the valley, just rain. I actually like the off season best - peaceful and quiet. We have plans to go to the coast (Oregon) for Thanksgiving and may go back for New Year's. We go at least once a month all year.
toolmanroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 02:58 PM   #5
vickster
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1165
Mel -- Living in the snowbelt like you, we will probably winterize Monty sometime in November (depending on the cold temps here in Wisconsin). Hubby already has the goodies to do this. When we head out for the sunny southwest in January we will probably de-winterize somewhere along the way (soon as we get to the warmer part of the country). Depending upon when we return to Wisconsin and the weather conditions we may have to winterzie someplace enroute home. Then we get to de-winterize again in April when we head out for the next adventure. Gee, this sure sounds like a lot of work. Like Glenn and Lorraine idea much better -- just head south after the rally -- then we wouldn't have to go through all this winterizing/de-winterizing stuff.!
vickster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 03:10 PM   #6
ronstan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1536
We will be camping 3 weekends in Oct. After that will see what the weather brings. I usually winterize the first part of Nov. Then can't wait till spring.
ronstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 03:52 PM   #7
fulltimedreamer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #919
We'll probably use ours all through the winter. I keep an electric heater in the coach that keeps everything above freezing so that when we get the urge to go, we go.
fulltimedreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 04:09 PM   #8
faeb and genb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #57
We won't close ours. We will leave aroune th 12th of Dec. for Fl. Hopefully we won't have to winterize the 5ver. Most times we don't have to worry about it until after the first ot the Year.
Gene
faeb and genb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 04:19 PM   #9
Virgil
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1457
I winterized ours last weekend. Unfortunately, our weekends are pretty booked up through Sept and well into Oct and we have had a few frosty mornings already. It is a great time to take it in for a few minor warranty issues, none involving the water system. It can get cold here fast and i did it more out of personal comfort than necessity.
Virgil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 05:20 PM   #10
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
This is not usually the case, but I'm glad I live in California. I lived in upstate New York for 10 years and never want to see snow again. Brrrrrrr. But our unit did come with the artic package.
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 06:16 PM   #11
LEN QEA
Established Member

M.O.C. #1936
Send a message via AIM to LEN QEA
We wiil be leaving Michigan for Many, Louisiana the third week of Oct. Will spend the winter there on the Toledo Bend Resvior and get some fishing done. We will be the camp host at Cypress Bend Park until the first of May 05. also be able to spend some time with our son's family as they live in Lake Charles, La.

Len & Lorna
LEN QEA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 08:52 PM   #12
D and M On The Road
Montana Master

M.O.C. #49
We don't "close up" our Montana, but we do take it each Fall for a weekend to a RV park, get full hook-ups and do a major cleaning and tank flushing. We will clean and polish all the wood, the carpeting, the ceiling, all the light fixtures.... nothing is safe!

During the winter we still take it on weekend trips, but not as many.

D and M On The Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 12:28 AM   #13
dbrill
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #359
We are going 3 more times once each in September, October, and November then I will winterize until we can get back out in March or April
dbrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 01:58 AM   #14
Montana_657
Montana Master

M.O.C. #657
One more trip to the wind swept sand bar we used to call Florida... but from November to April...we know how ta camp..
Montana_657 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 02:52 AM   #15
tweir
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #572
In sunny So. California, we really don't "winterize"----well, I take that back. We "winterize" at least twice a month at Agua Caliente Hot Springs, a trip or three to Laughlin and any "spare" weekends the fishing slows down off the coast we head off to a local County park.
tweir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 03:28 AM   #16
Montana_89
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #89
We camp, on weekends, the year round! At the beach from April 1 to Nove 1 and in the mountains from Nov.1 to April 1. We also travel with our rig during Christmas, Easter and, at least, 1 two week trip in the summer.
Montana_89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 04:23 AM   #17
Montana_621
Montana Master

M.O.C. #621
Yes I too like Glenn and Lorraine's idea better, just pack up and head for warmer temps but I don't think my job would be here when I got back. Plus my kids would flunk school since they were out for so long!

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by vickster

Mel -- Living in the snowbelt like you, we will probably winterize Monty sometime in November (depending on the cold temps here in Wisconsin). Hubby already has the goodies to do this. When we head out for the sunny southwest in January we will probably de-winterize somewhere along the way (soon as we get to the warmer part of the country). Depending upon when we return to Wisconsin and the weather conditions we may have to winterzie someplace enroute home. Then we get to de-winterize again in April when we head out for the next adventure. Gee, this sure sounds like a lot of work. Like Glenn and Lorraine idea much better -- just head south after the rally -- then we wouldn't have to go through all this winterizing/de-winterizing stuff.!
Old 09-15-2004, 04:28 AM   #18
Montana_621
Montana Master

M.O.C. #621
Well gee! I didn't know we had so many people that headed south for the winter or were already in a warmer climate. Up here, after the middle to end of October most CG's close and shut off power and water so you are on your own. I'm not sure but my husband and his brother's and kids might take the Monty back to North Dakota to their family land to hunt in the middle or end of October. There will be some SEVERE negotiating going on. Having all those piggy guys in my Monty... I'm not so sure about that.
Old 09-15-2004, 04:42 AM   #19
Montana_657
Montana Master

M.O.C. #657
I don't understandyou would bring the kids because
Montana_657 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 05:27 AM   #20
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
We are going to Truckee the first of October and that will be the last for us this year.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote