Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Full Timing in your Montana
Click Here to Login

Old 07-19-2004, 07:52 AM   #1
Montana_1841

M.O.C. #1841
How long will it last?

How long can we expect the Montana to last full-timing it? Plan on moving about 2 maybe 3 times a year and mostly east coast.

So, given no accidents and good preventive maintenance, how long can we expect the 5vr to last?

Montana_1841 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 01:31 PM   #2
Northstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1757
That is a very good question! I sure would like to know the answer. But I plan on spending 5 to 7 years on the road. Happy rving....
Northstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 09:22 PM   #3
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Well I cant speak for Montana's, but I can use another brand just to give you an idea oh how long they are lasting with proper care. I have two good friends down at the lake that live up here in Washington all summer at the lake, and then go south to Arizona for winter. One is a 1992, and the other is a 1994. For the most part these coaches look very well.. Other than some sun fading of decals, they dont look as old as they are. I feel that these coaches will last as long as you take care of them. A little preventitave upkeep will go along way.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 02:50 AM   #4
Montana_1841

M.O.C. #1841
Thanks. I realize this isnt a house, but I am hoping that with some care that we can keep it a while.

Will continue to watch the thread for more info on the Montanas.
Montana_1841 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 06:14 AM   #5
Montana_1280
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1280
Have seen it written by some that the Montana's aren't meant to be used for fulltiming. Don't know where that originated. There are certainly much more expensive so called fulltiming units out there, but I also see reports of similar problems with them that Montana owners report. All you have to do is find some of the other forums on the web. I plan to live in mine full time starting next year.
Montana_1280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 07:39 AM   #6
Montana_682
Established Member

M.O.C. #682
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by alongcamejones

Have seen it written by some that the Montana's aren't meant to be used for fulltiming. Don't know where that originated. There are certainly much more expensive so called fulltiming units out there, but I also see reports of similar problems with them that Montana owners report. All you have to do is find some of the other forums on the web. I plan to live in mine full time starting next year.
It originated with Keystone RV it is in there Montana Users Manual and they also sent me a letter stating fulltiming in a Montana will void your warranty I think when this gets out their sales will go down tremendously. I told them in my reply they should hang a sign in the dealerships stating that fulltiming in a Montana will void your warranty
Montana_682 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 08:43 AM   #7
Montana_1280
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1280
Agreed Jerry. We told the dealer exactly what we had in mind and he never mentioned anything about it not being ok. Wonder what that does to our extended warranty???? will definitely check it out!
Old 07-21-2004, 09:06 AM   #8
Montana_1280
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1280
I found it. Chapter 8, bottom of page 18 states in that the warranty could be reduced if the trailer is used for permanent living. I could not copy the file so look it up if you are interested. It starts out saying "Your trailer is not designed, nor intended as permanent housing". Why am I not surprised that a dealer would not tell you this!!!!
Old 07-21-2004, 10:44 AM   #9
Montana_682
Established Member

M.O.C. #682
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by alongcamejones

I found it. Chapter 8, bottom of page 18 states in that the warranty could be reduced if the trailer is used for permanent living. I could not copy the file so look it up if you are interested. It starts out saying "Your trailer is not designed, nor intended as permanent housing". Why am I not surprised that a dealer would not tell you this!!!!
Hi Again
Yes I have had numerous problems with this 3555rl 2000 yr and Keystone attributes all problems of fulltiming as the causes ,I got axle problems 2/6000 lb axles and the GVWR rating of 14180,the axle pro that builds axles for says that is not good the axles are under rated going to have 8000 lb axles installed.Got rear window leaks that Keystone is also saying f/timing causes in the new issue of Highways Mag. There is an article about this, my friend called me an told me about it.Im going to court for the axle problem 10 Sept 2004 in Astoria Oregon. good to see your reply thanks Jerry
Montana_682 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 12:08 PM   #10
Montana_1845
Established Member

M.O.C. #1845
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by rlaubert

How long can we expect the Montana to last full-timing it? Plan on moving about 2 maybe 3 times a year and mostly east coast.

So, given no accidents and good preventive maintenance, how long can we expect the 5vr to last?
We have been in our Montana 3555RL since July 2000, and have no plans of trading it in yet...we just got it totally fixed up like we want it....of course we replaced, the oven/stovetop with the counter top range, and put an icemaker in the hole where the oven went, after buying a Sharp Carousel Micro/Convection. Also bought a reverse osmosis system, replaced the carpet in the kitchen area and bathroom landing with those tile stick on squares...which was a mistake.... got rid of a chair and bought a 5 cubic feet freezer,...rearranged the shelving in the entertainment center...and I guess I have forgotten alot of it all by now...LOL....in other words my husband got bored, and tore into this rig.
Montana_1845 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 02:07 PM   #11
lightningjack11
Montana Master

M.O.C. #59
Jerry,

I wish that Montana would beef the axles a little. Yours is 6000 so you can have 12000 on your trailer wheels plus about 2500 plus on the hitch so by design this meets the GVWR of 14100. But, just barely.

In contrast my 2000 model's axles is 4500 so that means I can but 9000 on my trailer wheels. My last weight showed 8160 on the trailer wheels. So I am ok.

Since you have had problems I assume you have weighed your rig many times.

1. What is your current actual weight on the axles?
2. Did you have Service advisory 00-8 performed to upgrade your frame? This upgrade, I feel is essential.

lightningjack11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 06:51 PM   #12
Northstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1757
Thanks for the info. Something to be concerned about. Happy rving.....
Northstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004, 01:12 AM   #13
Montana_440
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #440
We had another brand,when we were full timing.That 5th wh was towed to 48 states & Canada.had the normal problems, nothing major.Traded for a smaller unit & traveled all over,for a total of 6yrs...with those 2 rigs.My advice is to choose the company 1st, then the model.A really good stand up RV company makes all the difference.You need to read the brochures, investigate & go over their products with a fine tooth comb...let there be no surprises. They build RVs they stand behind & will do their best to help you...in case of problems.2nd piece of advice, is to take care of that rig from day one.We've had several 5th wheels & various other RVs.Each was well used, but looked like new when sold/traded.It's amazing how many owners don't know the axle size,weight limits,tire size etc.That's asking for big trouble.That being said, I don't think any RV is sold as being for full time living.Pat C
Montana_440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004, 01:43 AM   #14
Montana_1280
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1280
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by camper

We had another brand,when we were full timing.That 5th wh was towed to 48 states & Canada.had the normal problems, nothing major.Traded for a smaller unit & traveled all over,for a total of 6yrs...with those 2 rigs.My advice is to choose the company 1st, then the model.A really good stand up RV company makes all the difference.You need to read the brochures, investigate & go over their products with a fine tooth comb...let there be no surprises. They build RVs they stand behind & will do their best to help you...in case of problems.2nd piece of advice, is to take care of that rig from day one.We've had several 5th wheels & various other RVs.Each was well used, but looked like new when sold/traded.It's amazing how many owners don't know the axle size,weight limits,tire size etc.That's asking for big trouble.That being said, I don't think any RV is sold as being for full time living.Pat C
I wonder about that too. I certainly have not done any extensive research on other brands. Does anyone out there know of a brand(s) that advertize their units for fulltiming?
Old 07-22-2004, 02:54 AM   #15
Montana_657
Montana Master

M.O.C. #657
Probably Teton... some of the Newmar products, Mobile Suites. I haven't done any recent research myself. It looks as if a lot of manufacturers use the "not for fulltimeing" as a way to escape liability. Condensation seems to be a problem for some full timers.

As far as how long a Montana lasts, I'd bet that the longest lasting have the fewest miles on them. There's a question....How far have you pulled your Montana???? Maybe I'll start a new thread and we'll see wo has the most miles.
Montana_657 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004, 04:16 AM   #16
BillyRay
Montana Master

M.O.C. #607
I think you hit the nail right on the head! I think it's one big giant loop hole these companies use to get out of warrenty work! if I didn't want to use my unit that much, I would have bought a little pop up!!! lucky for them I like the montana.
BillyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004, 04:24 AM   #17
Montana_1280
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1280
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Gruffy

Probably Teton... some of the Newmar products, Mobile Suites. I haven't done any recent research myself. It looks as if a lot of manufacturers use the "not for fulltimeing" as a way to escape liability. Condensation seems to be a problem for some full timers.

As far as how long a Montana lasts, I'd bet that the longest lasting have the fewest miles on them. There's a question....How far have you pulled your Montana???? Maybe I'll start a new thread and we'll see wo has the most miles.
Sounds like a winner. It will be interesting to see what fulltimers have to add. Condensation is certainly a major problem and is addressed in the Montana manual. Wear and tear on the road is another issue which roving fulltimers might address.
Old 07-23-2004, 11:46 AM   #18
Montana_1237
Established Member

M.O.C. #1237
Well, now I'm worried. My wife and I are planning on full timeing when she retires. I am concerned now about what is being said on this forum - that Keystone will not cover these units if they are used for full timeing. The other major thing is the axle. Now, I don't plan on packing the house in the rig when we hit the road, but I do want to feel safe and secure when we do.

I am on this forum a lot and I print out everything that's important to know. I am also filling out a Retail Price List for the Montana 3400RL. What has me concerned is the problems people have been having with plumbing, slide outs leaking and other things - some large, some small.

I also read where Keystone has taken care of things that are out of warranty and that's great. But, the axle thing really has me concerned, especially if I'm going to be traveling for 6 or 7 months seeing the country. I read recently on this forun where some one lost his whole under carridge while it was in his driveway and found that it was manufactured in a foreign country. That scares me.

I don't mean this to sound like sour grapes, but if I'm going to spend this kind of money I want to know that the manufacturer is true to their word. The fine print in their warranty has me concerned.

We have a friend up from SunnyBrook, 31 foot. He has had it for a year and has traveled the entire east coast down to Florida, and up the west coast. He has had not one problem of any kind. It has a rear living room and one large slide out in the living room/dining room area. I was impressed how roomy it felt with just the one slide. It also has, as all their rigs do, a 7000 pound axle - sealed bearing- heated and insulated tanks - Moryde IRE suspension and many more features. The one thing it does not have is the closet space like the Montana, and that is something to think about.

After getting on the MOC this morning I went to the full timeing in your Montana and clicked on the "How long will it last topic". It just gave me one more thing to think about. I guess what I'm trying to say is I want to make the right choice. I hope ya'll don't get upset with me mentioning another product, but like I said, if I'm going to spend the money, I want to know it's well spent. Don't misunderstand me, my wife and I really do like the Montana.
Montana_1237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2004, 12:39 PM   #19
lightningjack11
Montana Master

M.O.C. #59
It was Guffy that had problems with his undercarriage and he was gracious enough to post a picture of the problem. It looks like the primary problem was failure due to rust. It shows that we should all insure our wheel well areas are kept free of rust and corrosion. I would like to see better rust proofing on the Montannas but I have also seen salt eat through anything. Bottom line is to keep the wheel well area rust proofed and inspect the area for wear before and after each trip.
lightningjack11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2004, 12:04 AM   #20
Montana_1280
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1280
Tom n Phyllis,
Chances are most units in the Montana price range are nearly equal in quality; some better, some not. From what I have read here in the forum, Montana is a cut above average. Lots of happy campers. There will always be the problem units now and then. Without doing extensive research, I dare to say most manufacturers do not recommend their units for fulltiming and will have a statement in the paper work so stating. The high end units such as Teton and Newmar are just out of my price range. Its like buying a home. Some of us can afford the more expensive and some of us not. You try to get the best "bang for your buck". I am believing Montana is a good choice and its in my price range. I will maintain it to the best of my ability and hope for a long relationship. Happy camping!