Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > On the Road Again
Click Here to Login

Old 05-12-2006, 04:36 AM   #1
Snowhawk
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5774
Send a message via Yahoo to Snowhawk
Traveling with plants

How many of you travel with plants? Do you ever put them outside when going from state to state?

Snowhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 05:10 AM   #2
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Yes, and Yes.

I carry them, in the Tana greenhouse (translated, Shower). Well, most of them, I have enough that I fill the bottom of the shower, and so a few go in a box in the potty room. I put them in boxes for travel time, cushioned with wash clothes and such in between. I have a lot of violets, they are all in self watering violet pots, they are ceramic, therefore the required cushioning.

I have one geranium I carry, it goes outside. It sat outside for 3 months in the RGV, it loved the muted light it received as it was under the sun shade attached to the awning. Here it is in full bloom just before we left the Valley:

My violets reside on their own shelves while we are in camp, you can see them here:

http://geocities.com/genieyorks/mont...elvesheadboard

CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 06:59 AM   #3
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
We also use the shower to house plants when traveling. There is a lot of room in that shower that can be used. Just be sure to cover the bottom and secure things well. The same is true for other areas that people don't often think of - inside the oven (cookie sheets, omelet pan, poached egg pan), inside the microwave (bread, chips, breakfast rolls).
Happy trails............................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 08:12 AM   #4
vickster
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1165
Carol - Your plants are beautiful. Like your shelves too!
vickster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 10:27 AM   #5
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
I like to have a plant or two along as well. The fern goes into the sink and the outside planter goes in the shower so the bugs will crawl out the drain once we start moving.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 11:21 AM   #6
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
Hello Snowhawk and welcome.....This last trip we included two African Violets and they rode in the kitchen sink. Although the made the trip OK, they did fall over. Think that the next time out we will take Carol's suggestion and put them in the shower as there should not be as much movement towards the front of the trailer. Hope that you and Rich enjoy your travels in the new 3400.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 12:39 PM   #7
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420

As you can see our plants do fine in the shower enclosure. Seems the police have problems with folks that keep these plants in plain view. My biggest problem is drying and rolling.

Aw come on, I'm just kidding. The made me do it.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 12:54 PM   #8
Snowhawk
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5774
Has anyone who lets their plants go outside, considered the possibility of stow-away bugs being transported to another state, where they don't already exist and creating havoc. I've been reading in my Gardening Club magazine about bugs hitch-hiking to other states and creating a lot of trouble. I have a few wonderful plants that I'd like to take with us on our travels, but I'm afraid of hitch-hikers. Most of my plants are in hydroponic rocks... even the violets, and they do just great.
Old 05-12-2006, 01:22 PM   #9
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Helen, bugs are going to hitchhike in the Montana anyway and you'll not know anything about it so the fact that they're in your plants probably won't make much difference. I would think that your plants in hydroponic rocks won't attract bugs as much.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 01:35 PM   #10
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
If you know about hydroponics, and few do, then you should also remember the trick of running soapy water through the stones and over the plants to wash them and get rid of bugs. We always taught that trick when I sold hydroponics MANY moons ago.

I find that works just as well on my plants grown in soil or soil substitutes. I use dish soap, make a lot of suds, rinse the plants, poor a bunch through the stones and rinse with clear water.

My violets never get outside, so they don't have to have soap bathes. I have given bathes to the other outside plants, but, have to admit, do not do it regularly, and it is possible that I have carted a few nasty pests home.

By the way, what is your source for hydroponic food, I find it very hard to find locally, and have not bothered to look on the net in quite a while for it either.

OH, and if you ever get a water softner for the RV, don't water your plants with water run thru the softener, too much salt. I use the tap water from out side, or distilled or bottled water.
Old 05-12-2006, 01:41 PM   #11
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Judy, I agree, hydroponics will keep most bugs away. Also agree, some of them nasties will hike along in Tana anyway.

Vickster, thanks for your kind words on my plants, that geranium out did itself this year.

Charlie, be sure to put the voilets in some kind of box, and rags or clothes around the bottom, that will stablize them, I started out in Tana's greenhouse with the plants to keep any water leaking out in a water proof place, AND, cause I felt they would ride better there, and if I don't take them out for a day or so, they have their own little sky light overhead

Glenn, figured you would come up with a response like that, FUNNY!!
Old 05-12-2006, 04:12 PM   #12
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I think what Helen is trying to ask (and I have the same question), are there any state laws you have to be careful of, in regard to transporting any "exotic" plants over state lines. I don't have anything specific in mind, and I'm not talking about "Glenn's Plant" either. However, I thought there were some states that regulated that type of interstate transport of certain plants.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 04:22 PM   #13
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
I started out fulltiming with hanging basket's that I put in the sink while traveling and hung them on our welcome sign when we parked. About three months and 12 states later I found bugs crawling all over the sink. Out went the plant.

Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 03:01 AM   #14
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Dave,

I don't think regular houseplants, in most cases are considered exotic. Unless you are into like orchids or something. Well, I don't consider my houseplants exotic.

I note, on edit, that I really did not answer your question Dave, cause I don't know the answer. I have purchased plants in Texas and other places and taken them home to Michigan. There is a place in Fredericksburg Texas that ships seeds and plants all around the USA, wildflowers. They know if they sell to people in the store, the likelyhood that said plants will be carted off to places other than Texas is great, as they are a destination for many travelers from around the US. So, I would think, if you are buying from someplace like that, or from the corner grocery store, the plants they sell on those markets are gonna be "common", not exotic. Without some further knowledge, I don't think I am gonna worry about it. Have plants, will travel!

Helen,

If I had bugs coming out of my pots into my sink, I would have ditched em too! ewwww. So far, so good, the soapy water has worked for me so far. I have been tottin plants for a few years, and knock on my head(wood), so far, no nasties!
Old 05-13-2006, 04:07 AM   #15
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
I'm not going to refer Victoria to this topic. Carrying plants around is one of those things we find to argue about. Last year we got up to two plants that hung off the hitch, Two big iron plant hangers for two more plants and several around a little rock garden with its own waterfall. Yup, I said waterfall!!

This year we are leaving most of it behind in the interest of holding weight down. Except, I have just learned, two plants that won't survive the summer in Phoenix. They are going to Albuquerque where we will drop them off and retrieve them on the flip side of the trip.

I guess I shouldn't be so crotchety but the things are heavy and add to the setup and knock down effort every day when we are on the road. I have to admit they did look nice around our site. I guess we should stay longer in each place. Then we could just carry seeds. Glenn, remember that line from UP IN SMOKE--"Seeds, thy can't arrest you for seeds."
Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 09:35 AM   #16
Snowhawk
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5774
Carol... I ordered my hydro food from a place (on line) called General Hydroponics (www.generalhydroponics.com) but I must alert you... there are 3 1-gallon bottles that come all at once. You custom mix as you go. The directions are for mixing a gallon of water but I made up a chart for smaller quantities. It allows for the different stages of growth...thus different ratios from each bottle. I use it for both the hydros and the soil plants... they all seem to love it. I've had this stuff since last spring and I still have better than 3/4 of a gallon, of each, left yet.
Old 05-13-2006, 10:45 AM   #17
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Yikes, it would take me forever to use that much. Actually a lot of my hydroponic plants grow ok on just well water.

Sadly, many of my plants are now in the trash, when I leave for the winter, my kids come out and care for things, only they don't do so good on the house plants. That is why I take my violets with me now

As we are considering serious downsizing, or rather serious simplfying, I am not considering replacing the larger plants at this time.

But, I am gonna check out that web site! Thanks
Old 05-21-2006, 04:24 PM   #18
gkbutler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4049
Send a message via MSN to gkbutler Send a message via Yahoo to gkbutler
Karen says we have had no problems with bugs in our plants that we brought back north with us, but we did find a little salamander stow away in the bed of the truck. Haven't seen him in several days, so I don't know what happened to him. I seriously doubt he could have survived the cold spell we have had here in Northern Illinois.

We brought back two different kinds of orchids, a Mandevilla, a Hibiscus, a Poinsettia, a tomato plant, and a pony tail palm tree (indoor only). Everything so far seems to be doing well (except for the salamder.)

gkbutler is offline   Reply With Quote