Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 04-01-2019, 09:29 AM   #1
ranch560
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12491
New Product from MORyde

I just ran across this video about a new suspension product from MORyde. I'm not sure of it's application with regards to our Montana's. You decide.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=lWpu3V0BEo4

ranch560 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 11:30 AM   #2
BiggarView
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19382
Send a message via AIM to BiggarView
Impressive, Any word on the price? I'd also be curious about the weight of the system.

2017 RAM 3500 Laramie CCLB Dually CTD Aisin, OEM auto level rear air-ride, B&W hitch
2020 3813MS Legacy Cobalt FBP, MORryde 8K IS & pinbox, PI EMS,DIY mods by in-house "craftsman", RV security system Mk1 Beagle Alerter
BiggarView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 01:07 PM   #3
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Jim,

The four point vs six point level up would be a negative from the stability point of view but I would think they could add a couple more legs.

I like the idea of being able to lower the rig making the steps easier.

Seems like it could improve the ride just as airbags do.

Weight and cost compared to hydraulic will be worthwhile info.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 01:26 PM   #4
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Like anything else I wouldn't want to own the 1st generation, but it definately looks promising for down the road.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 02:26 PM   #5
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
Well when I first saw it I thought it was a well done April Fools joke. Saw a second video and it looks legit. Need to see if the back stabilizer good is enough. Not a fan of that style of jack they showed. Hopefully it will not be as problematic as Ground control 2.0
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 07:05 PM   #6
Pops8
Established Member

M.O.C. #21706
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffba View Post
Well when I first saw it I thought it was a well done April Fools joke. Saw a second video and it looks legit. Need to see if the back stabilizer good is enough. Not a fan of that style of jack they showed. Hopefully it will not be as problematic as Ground control 2.0
Not a joke. I saw this in January at the RV show in Charlotte. I can’t remember the brand but I do remember the mfr’s rep saying they have a 2 year exclusivity deal with MORyde. If I was looking at toy haulers I’d certainly investigate but as mentioned above not sure I’d want to be the first.
Old 04-02-2019, 06:23 AM   #7
Arkware
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17723
We saw a rig with this setup at MorRyde in February. They were doing a video of it at the time so I was not able to talk to them about it.
My impression was that it is really, really slow for the landing gears and not something I would want for my rig. It my work well for a toy hauler...
Now, the 'on-board' air compressor.... (hmmmmm!)
2015 F350 XLT Crew Dually 20K B&W Companion
Arkware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 07:26 AM   #8
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
For owners like us, buying a new 5er with this system would be a heckuva improvement over the current manual, no self leveling unit we now have. While I really think self leveling is great, the hydraulic or electric driven versions adds a bunch more places for failure, including wrecking a ram on a curb or raised area. The air system looks like an adaptation of a well proven OTH truck version and pretty reliable. As far as front LG legs being slow - ours, Lippert made, make a snail appear speedy after having an Atwood individually motored pair of LG legs on the SOB owned previously.
2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 08:33 AM   #9
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
I remember the air suspension lincoln continentals with air bags that did not hold air. Very expensive to fix.. no thanks..
dfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 08:58 AM   #10
BiggarView
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19382
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfb View Post
I remember the air suspension lincoln continentals with air bags that did not hold air. Very expensive to fix.. no thanks..
You mean back when Ford's were notoriously unreliable. Such systems have greatly improved since then, including Fords themselves. Just sayin'. Ford does not want to do warranty work as much as you don't want to be paying for repairs. They are motivated to find ways to mechanically improve their product. But there is a cost/benefit ratio that even they go by.

Agree, tried and true would be my first choice. Let the others be the early adopters.

2017 RAM 3500 Laramie CCLB Dually CTD Aisin, OEM auto level rear air-ride, B&W hitch
2020 3813MS Legacy Cobalt FBP, MORryde 8K IS & pinbox, PI EMS,DIY mods by in-house "craftsman", RV security system Mk1 Beagle Alerter
Old 04-07-2019, 01:19 PM   #11
Anatnom
Established Member

M.O.C. #23514
Nice.. I like that idea
Anatnom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 01:26 PM   #12
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
It will be interesting to see it out in the wild. Does it only level b y lowering? Or does it also lift the other side? Does it take out the rocking when you walk? How does it affect changing tires?
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 01:42 PM   #13
whutfles
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17319
This sounds like a spinoff of the RV weighing system Montana showed in a previous post. I like the idea of an onboard air compressor. I like being able to tilt it to one side for draining tanks as some dump stations we have used were not level. And I like that they are getting rid of those leveling legs hanging down where they can hit something. And I like the idea of being able to level up the RV with the tow vehicle. But to level up, you have to increase the lbs of air in the air springs. When I increase the air in my air springs on my truck you reach an optimum ride point beyond which the ride will get much stiffer with additional lbs of air. If the ride is too stiff, they almost need 2 sets of air bags - one on top for the level up and a lower set for the ride. Don't know how these will function in the extreme cold as frozen moisture in air lines can be a problem. It has functioned well on my truck.

He mentioned being able to winterize with the air. They really have the opportunity to conneect the winterize switch in the convenience center to the air line and regulate the air to 40 lbs or so and maybe draw a minimal amount of antifreeze from the bottle at the same time.

What I was expecting next while watching the video was - besides air springs and air legs/stabilizers we are going to run the sides in and out with air too. Don't know if air slides would be an improvement other than if you blew a hose, you wouldn't have all of that hydraulic fluid to clean up.
whutfles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 06:05 PM   #14
whiterose
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #18353
With the amount of movement they suggest, I doubt that shocks would be feasible. Maybe damping is possible in the air cylinders.

Wonder if it is possible to lock the position of the air cylinders so as to provide the same rigidity as a jack leg.

Next it will be air brakes. I met a guy with a Freightliner pulling a Toy Hauler, he had converted the TH to air brakes.
Old 04-08-2019, 05:38 AM   #15
BiggarView
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19382
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkware View Post
My impression was that it is really, really slow for the landing gears and not something I would want for my rig. It my work well for a toy hauler...
Emphasis added by me...

Really, really slow? How much slower does it have to be that is a PITA? Is just me or is a few seconds so important it becomes a deal breaker in this context. Now if they started a new sport like competitive X-treme RV Campsite Set Up Racing... then I could see the need for speed. Sorta reminds me of all the guys that want to stroke their egos by sayinging their tow rigs are faster up the Ike Gauntlet by a few seconds.... really?

I guess everybody needs a hobby. Hot rodding your RV... the next game in town. or is it ...

Old 04-08-2019, 07:00 AM   #16
KJT
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #23367
Saw that last week and posted the info also.
It is real cool.
Had similar systems on 40+ ft. Horse trailers and it made a huge difference.
KJT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 08:21 AM   #17
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
This will be state of the art after a few generations of changes and improvements. Sorry for the first customers but after that I would definitely own one. Air ride and ride height adjustment alone is worth it.