Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 05-23-2023, 12:26 PM   #1
JamesDean334
Established Member

M.O.C. #32532
Furrion Stovetop Igniter Replacement in 2017 3791RD

Has anyone had the pleasure of replacing the igniter on their 3-burner Furrion stovetop? I have the replacement igniter from etrailer but, obviously am lacking the skill to get to the old igniter to replace it. I can remove the entire stovetop, which I thought would be the hard part. The igniter seems to be encased underneath the stovetop and appears to be "non-serviceable". I've found on other sites that Furrion recommends replacing the entire stovetop ($350'ish), rather than replace the igniter ($40'ish). Sounds good to me, if you got cash laying around that's beginning to grow mold and mildew. I don't. Any help or input would be greatly appreciated!

JamesDean334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2023, 07:09 PM   #2
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
I think if it were me, I would be getting the butane lighter out and use that to light the burners if the igniter had failed.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2023, 08:14 PM   #3
JamesDean334
Established Member

M.O.C. #32532
That’s where we’re at. The battery holder is corroded from a leaking battery making the igniter inoperable. A quick search turned up the replacement igniter and it looked like a simple part to replace. I thought the same when it arrived but, here I sit with two useless igniters. Maybe one day during the down season (winter), I’ll tear into it again and tackle it. It’s not impossible but definitely not a “simple” part swap.
Old 05-24-2023, 07:47 AM   #4
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Are you sure there really is nothing wrong with the igniter? You could have a simple crack in one of the wire that is causing the spark to short to the closest metal it can arch to, and the burners never get the spark.

Try this before dismantling anything. Remove the top of the stove so you can see the wires. Then wait for dark, with everything dark inside the camper, simply turn the spark starter and watch if you see a spark occurring anywhere other than at the burners or the oven. If you do, there is the crack in the wire. Simply put some electrical tape around it, or use a hot glue gun, or seal it up with liquid plastic and you'll be good to go.

Check this out first before dismantling anything. It could save you .... even that $40!!!

Just an FYI, it's very, very common for those wires to crack. Mine had extra insulation put around each wire, but there was a small gap at the knob area where the wire attached. You guess it .... That's where the spark was occurring! I found it though and simply taped it up. Never had an issue again. That was 5 years ago.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2023, 08:32 AM   #5
JamesDean334
Established Member

M.O.C. #32532
@Dutchmen, I'll see if I can do that with the stovetop unit lifted. The igniter itself is tucked away in a riveted enclosure that seems impenetrable, short of drilling out several aluminum rivets. When I saw that, after an hour of prying, sweating like a mule, and expelling several non-church words, when I was anticipating a simple "plug'n'play" part swap, I was done, and disgusted, and decided to push the job to another day.
Old 05-24-2023, 11:06 AM   #6
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
Not knowing what it looks like on that unit, but with our regular range/oven, we were having trouble lighting the burners and had to use the butane lighter most of the time. I replaced the igniter a couple of times with no change. Finally, even though the wire from the igniter looked perfectly fine, I found a replacement on Amazon, and that was the solution. The burners light all the time now. Is it possible the wire has failed on your Furrion?
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2023, 02:09 PM   #7
JamesDean334
Established Member

M.O.C. #32532
This is the stovetop. Underneath the area outlined, there is a sheet metal enclosure that prevents access to the "workings" of the unit. I haven't figured out any other way to get to the igniter...yet. I have lifted the front of the unit, enough to see that everything is inside the enclosure. I haven't taken it all the way out yet, that may give me access to the wiring from the igniter to the burners so I can check them. I was a little too exasperated to pursue that when I discovered that everything was behind the enclosure.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	furrion.JPG
Views:	18
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	14610  
Old 05-29-2023, 10:06 AM   #8
DebNJim B
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21158
You said it was ruined from a corroded battery. If that's the case and is inoperable then I would go ahead and drill out the rivets to gain access. Sounds like you have nothing to lose and you can use screws on the replacement. Worst case scenario if that fails you just use the butane.

DebNJim B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2023, 11:40 AM   #9
JamesDean334
Established Member

M.O.C. #32532
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebNJim B View Post
You said it was ruined from a corroded battery. If that's the case and is inoperable then I would go ahead and drill out the rivets to gain access. Sounds like you have nothing to lose and you can use screws on the replacement. Worst case scenario if that fails you just use the butane.
That’s the plan. I just gotta make time to get it done. Thanks!!
Old 05-30-2023, 08:47 AM   #10
Bruce in DFW
Established Member

M.O.C. #28272
We just removed that same stovetop from our 2017 3811MS - replaced with a free-standing range / oven. The old stove and oven are in our garage. You are welcome either or both - just for the cost of shipping - or you can drop by Allen TX and pick it up.
Bruce in DFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2023, 01:38 PM   #11
JamesDean334
Established Member

M.O.C. #32532
I've got a lot of McCrummen family in the DFW area. I've been meaning to get out that way. I appreciate the offer but, I think since I've already got the replacement igniter and the unit is in otherwise excellent condition, I'll just pull it out and replace it one Saturday when I have nothing else to do (meaning, it'll probably never get done!). If you happen across any of my folks out there, tell them I said HEY from Alabama. LOL!
Old 05-30-2023, 05:39 PM   #12
Bruce in DFW
Established Member

M.O.C. #28272
Sounds like a good plan.
Bruce in DFW is offline   Reply With Quote