Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-04-2024, 12:21 PM   #1
Gubs
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #27658
Safe but scared!!!!

Just wanting to know if this has happened to anyone else??

BW Patriot 18K slider hitch

Yesterday April 3rd 2024 we were getting ready to leave our campsite at Lake Mead RV in Boulder City, NV. As usual my wife took care of everything inside the camper in preparation for our trip back home as I was packing everything up on the outside and hooking up our 5th wheel RV to our 2019 F-350 super duty. As we have done for over 15 years as a 5th wheel owner I hooked up the trailer and preformed our ritual of making sure the hitch was locked in by setting the brake on the trailer and pulling forward to make sure the kingpin on the trailer was securely attached to the hitch! Ok, all was ready for our trip home. Up the hill out of the campground on to HWY 93 and headed home. 30 minutes down the rode and a huge jerk on the truck which almost caused me to lose control. We thought we had blown a tire or that someone had hit us from behind. I slowed down and proceeded to find a place for us to safely pull over and inspect our rig and truck for any sort of damage. The shoulder on the road was not very wide and therefore we had to proceed down the road at a much slower rate of speed to locate a safe place to pull over, which seemed like forever however was only about 5 or so miles. We spotted a place that would provide us with enough room to safely pull over even though there was a 18 wheeler pulled into the same area. We pulled off the road and both got out to inspect our rig and truck. My wife started speaking to truck driver as I began my inspection. To my GREAT surprise the kingpin on the trailer had somehow detached from the hitch although the hitch jaws were still closed and locking pin was still in place in the arm hole. The only thing that kept the trailer from a complete disconnect, which would have caused significant damage to our rig plus may have resulted in damage or death to anyone behind us as the rig would have stopped rather abruptly as the safety brake would have been pulled. The trucker and myself was amazed that the kingpin had slipped out of the locked and still closed hitch jaws. We were both surprised the trailer was still in the bed of the truck and stated that that tailgate was really strong to have supported the 5th wheel and kept it from falling off the back to the truck.That tailgate pulled the trailer down the road for an additional 5 or more miles.

Larry & Marilyn Gubbels
2019 F-350 Diesel 4X4, Short Bed, BW 18K slider,
closely followed by a 2020 Montana 3121RL
Gubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2024, 01:12 PM   #2
Theunz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18384
Sounds like a “high hitch” where the pin was actually sitting on the jaws instead of in the jaws. It’s pretty common in the trucking industry when the driver gets in a hurry and doesn’t closely look at the hitch to be sure there is no gap between the 5th wheel plate and the trailer plate. Doing a tug test is a must, but a visual inspection is just as important. Glad no one was hurt and you had minimal damage.
Old 04-04-2024, 01:26 PM   #3
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
High hitch would be my guess also with conditions described. I always set my hitching height so that the pin box plate was slightly lower than the hitch plate so that pin box plate had to ride up on the hitch plate ensuring it mated up properly.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2024, 04:01 PM   #4
Gubs
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #27658
I've been pulling 5th wheels around for 20+ years and gave religiously ALWAYS done then pull test prior to leaving a camp site. We drove over 30 miles down hilly HYW 93 with lots of turns and twists prior to it coming undone! I can not explain why, but this did happen! Oh, I also do a visual inspection all around the truck and trailer prior to pulling out. I can NOT explain this but BW is looking into it.

Larry & Marilyn Gubbels
Old 04-04-2024, 04:27 PM   #5
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
How did you resolve your issue? In your story, you are now at the side of the road. What happened after that? Did you take a risk and hitch up again, or did you do something to get a new fifth wheel hitch? How did the story end?
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2024, 06:37 PM   #6
bshgto
Montana Master

M.O.C. #16013
If the camper was high hitched and came off I would think the camper would have slammed forward no matter how gently you stopped. And traveling an additional 5 miles with the camper not hooked to anything would think it would be slamming back and forth in any slight turn or maneuver. But I wasn`t there. As we grow older we tend to forget to do things, miss the obvious, and not follow up on noises. Just one of those things, that can`t be avoided. The pull test is the only thing to prevent this. This is why my wife checks everything I do when getting ready to leave a spot and she has caught me not doing something. Another reason I went to the Resse Goose box no high hitching it`s either on or off no in-between it auto locks with a visual aid to boot. One less thing to screw up, for me anyway.
F350 Ford Dually 4:10`s w/bags (payload 5595 lbs) Sumo Springs 63 gal aux tank
Reese Goosebox Mor/Ryde SRE 4000 X Factors Monroe shocks.... real smooth ride
bshgto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2024, 09:39 PM   #7
Theunz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18384
A tug test will not reveal a high hitch. When I first started in trucking I pulled a trailer over 50 miles through twists, turns, and across railroad tracks. I didn’t notice the high hitch until I reached underneath the trailer to unlatch. Like bhsgto I’m surprised that there wasn’t substantial damage to the truck and trailer! Go buy a lottery ticket��
Old 04-05-2024, 04:10 AM   #8
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
I've heard of the "high hitch" situation but have never experienced it myself. I have the B&W Companion hitch with the Ford puck system. If the king pin is too high the jaws won't properly close on the pin as they fit tightly in the slot on the pin.
Does the patriot hitch close differently than the jaws on my companion hitch? I'm not clear on how this could happen and still close the hitch normally.
RMcNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2024, 07:03 AM   #9
ChuckS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20949
It was High hitched.

You did the pull test and stated you walked around visually inspecting things before departure.

But. Did you go behind the truck and look at the kingpin and jaws with a flashlight .

I’ve also been towing for many years.. well over 45 and high hitched once.

I now make sure the pin box is set low enough so that when I back onto it the fifth wheel hitch plates ride on the bottom of that king pin plate.

Can a Patriot hitch be high hitched? I can’t measure but this pic seems to show enough room that it would
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1149.jpeg
Views:	104
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	16782  
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2024, 07:14 AM   #10
Theunz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18384
ChuckS’s picture shows how any pin can be high hitched. Notice that the jaws of the hitch fit in the indented portion of the kingpin. When you high hitch the bottom section of the king pin will trip the jaws but when you hit a bump the pin will “jump” on top of the jaws and ride there until you hit a big bump or dip at witch point it can completely dislodge from the hitch.
Old 04-05-2024, 02:45 PM   #11
Gubs
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #27658
Ok all thanks for your comments. I do the pull test every time, I visual ck to make sure the kingpin is placed well and that the clam jaws are closed. I make sure the pin lock is placed in the handle each and every time. Don't know how this could have happened either. However it did! We drove over 30 miles up and down hills and various turns on HWY 93 coming out of the Boulder Beach exit at Lake Mead. The jaws were still closed when we stopped and the pin was still in the handle. So far BW has been very attentive, prompt and helpful. We will see what they come up with. They are sending a new head for my hitch and I have to send back the old head back for their investigation. The bed rails to the truck have been looked at by the repair shop and they think they are fine, which is surprising to them and me!! Tailgate shot and will be replaced, but other than that we were VERY LUCKY to say the least!! I will let everyone know how this ends! Again, thanks for looking and providing insight. Be safe out there!!!!!

Larry & Marilyn Gubbels
Old 04-05-2024, 02:47 PM   #12
Gubs
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #27658
I'm sure I have used all my luck up on this issue alone, but thanks for the suggestion!! This could have been really serious and had someone been following close behind us it could have been deadly for sure.

Larry & Marilyn Gubbels
Old 04-05-2024, 06:20 PM   #13
MandK
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #28430
Did you stop anywhere before the incident? Could someone have tampered with your hitch? 40+ years of professional driving taught me to check my fifth wheel before leaving a truck stop if my rig had been left unattended. It takes less than 2 seconds for some jerk to pull the handle for a laugh when a driver gets back in and starts to drive away. I pad lock the handle on my Companion when towing.
MandK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2024, 01:23 PM   #14
Moondragon
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #25935
My first hitch was a Reese without the wraparound jaws. The dealer tech told me to immediately spray paint the kingpin white, so that I could see the pin inside the jaws when hitched. Now using Curt A20 with wraparound, put still doing the visual check.
2014 RAM 2500HD SLT LB 4x4 6.4L SRW
Moondragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2024, 03:05 PM   #15
brycesteiner
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #33140
I appreciate this topic as I am very green on pulling a fifth wheel.
I once witnessed a semi-truck that pulled up to my street corner at the stop light. It was a truck pulling a Doritos trailer and when it took off I heard this loud sound and the trailer had fallen into the intersection as the cab took off. It had driven 60 miles along old US 24 before this happened. I bet it was a "high hitch" situation.
brycesteiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2024, 05:48 PM   #16
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
Another reason I went with Demco. You know when you're locked!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Demco.png
Views:	46
Size:	176.0 KB
ID:	16815   Click image for larger version

Name:	Demco 2.png
Views:	49
Size:	151.2 KB
ID:	16816  
Old 04-10-2024, 08:00 PM   #17
miatadoc
Established Member

M.O.C. #17926
We have the Patriot hitch as well. It is possible to high hitch as I have had the pin high in the jaws more than once. Fortunately I found it before I even attempted to close the jaws and repositioned the pin in the hitch. It's pretty easy to see the jaws around the pin with a B&W hitch. If the pin is not seated properly there will be a big gap between the jaws when closing the handle.
miatadoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2024, 08:13 PM   #18
Jake101

M.O.C. #33230
I only drove semi for 32 years, but the best advice I ever got about hitching up was to back under the trailer, with the trailer just under the height of the 5th wheel. After backing under the trailer, chenk that the jaws are closed around the king pin, and not high hitched. Then do your pull test. In 32 year with semi I never high hitched, knock on wood, and never had a trailer unhook because the jaws were not closed. It is so easy to miss if you don't get in the habit of doing things in order. Good luck in the future.
Jake101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2024, 08:24 AM   #19
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gubs View Post
I've been pulling 5th wheels around for 20+ years and gave religiously ALWAYS done then pull test prior to leaving a camp site. We drove over 30 miles down hilly HYW 93 with lots of turns and twists prior to it coming undone! I can not explain why, but this did happen! Oh, I also do a visual inspection all around the truck and trailer prior to pulling out. I can NOT explain this but BW is looking into it.
I agree , the pull test is something that should be done . But IMO, and some have stated , I’ve ALWAYS visually checked to see if that plate of the fifth wheel is tight against the plate of the hitch . Although when I back in I’ve made sure that fifth wheel is couple inches lower than the hitch , so the fifth wheel slides up , and on the hitch preventing any chance of a high hitch .

The high hitch scenario, is something you haven’t addressed, do you know for sure that you were sitting flat on that hitch?
I know you mention visually checking around everything thing , But did you actually see that pin box sitting tight against the hitch . Those hitches are mechanical, jaws are closed , and the locking pin is in place , they can’t open ,unless they actually break . I very much doubt that hitch had anything to do with you coming undone , it sounds like a classic high hitch . It’s something you haven’t verified in your posts , a visual check if the fifth wheel was flat against the hitch .

As you said , you are very lucky . I’m curious, but I’m sure doubtful B&W will find anything wrong with that hitch . Hopefully you will be in contact with them , and report back on their findings . Also as mentioned you’ll be making sure you are flat against the hitch in the future.
PSFORD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2024, 08:38 AM   #20
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by ::miatadoc View Post
We have the Patriot hitch as well. It is possible to high hitch as I have had the pin high in the jaws more than once. Fortunately I found it before I even attempted to close the jaws and repositioned the pin in the hitch. It's pretty easy to see the jaws around the pin with a B&W hitch. If the pin is not seated properly there will be a big gap between the jaws when closing the handle.
I’m not sure how you are finding the pin high in the hitch ? I would suggest you changing whatever method you are using when backing up into that hitch , I’ve heard people lowering their fifth wheel into the hitch ,😳 There’s no way you can have what you are saying if you back the truck up to the hitch , then adjust the height where the plate of the king pin is just slightly lower than the hitch , so you slide up , and on the hitch , making it impossible to be seeing what you are stating , and having to reposition.
PSFORD99 is offline   Reply With Quote