Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-18-2020, 08:54 AM   #1
Jester
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #25910
Loud flame on furnace

My wife and I have a 2020 294RL and when we turn on the gas furnace the flame seems to be much louder then our other campers. Is this normal or do we need to have the flame adjusted?
My wife will have this in the service bay at the dealer before I blink an eye.
Help

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 09:44 AM   #2
luckeyd
Established Member

M.O.C. #25356
It could be a larger BTU furnance, the location of the exhaust compared to your previous trailer, or a combination of the two. JMHO.

2020 Montana 3121RL Legacy
luckeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 11:05 AM   #3
sourdough
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26010
Probably just what luckeyd noted. Our last trailer was loud and I could really hear the furnace kick on and off. I can't even hear this one. Both worked fine, it was the placement of the furnace itself and the exhaust.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 11:37 AM   #4
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Without hearing it, I would agree with the folks above. We couldn't hear the furnace in our 2010 hardly at all. Our 2014 is a little louder but not as loud as our 2017 and it seems to be all about where it is placed. On the 2017 the furnace is on the other side of a return air vent so it is much easier for the sound to travel.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 03:55 PM   #5
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
We use our camper at home all the time, and we sleep in it until the propane usage for heat becomes too costly ( = 30 pound tank fill up in 2 days or less).

So, we use our camper a lot in the early Spring, Fall, and even early Winter at home. Our driveway is adjacent the property line, and the furnace side of the camper faces the neighbors.

When we first got our MHC 375FL, our neighbor asked me what was firing off in our (new - at that time) camper that sounded like a jet engine at take-off. I laughed and said, that was the furnace.

At that time, I'd really never heard the jet engine at take off until he said that to me. Inside the camper, it isn't noticeable at all. So I waited outside for it to kick on, and WOW! My neighbor was right! It sounded like a jet engine at take off.

Well, it's now been 2 years and both he and I have gotten use to it. One thing is certain though, when we are in the house, and I've forgotten to turn the furnace off, I'm reminded real fast! No getting around the sound of a jet engine at take off.

So, it sounds to me (pun intended) that yours is perfectly normal. Don't mess with it or you'll screw it up.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 06:59 AM   #6
Slow Hand
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17391
In my rv its the blower that is LOUD. When that thing comes on you have a hard time hearing the TV. I am going to figure out how to insinuate where the furnace is before i take it out again. I know make sure it's fire rated do I dont burn the place down.
Slow Hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 08:15 AM   #7
Jester
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #25910
Thank you , but I’ll be you a dollar the Montana will be in the shop before Christmas. Lol
She is a red head,, need I say more.
Old 10-19-2020, 10:13 AM   #8
Tom N OH
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17678
Yep. Normal. Our 2019 Montana’s furnace is much louder than the one in our 2015 MHC was. Different furnace manufacturers & designs. Nothing to worry about & nothing the dealer can do about it unless you want to pay for them to change the whole furnace. The one you have is working as designed. Our next door neighbors at our seasonal site have the same furnace as we do now & theirs sounds just like ours does.
Tom N OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 02:11 PM   #9
Dagma

M.O.C. #26356
Our 2020 295RL is the same. Much louder than our old camper. After a while you get used to it.
Dagma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 02:13 PM   #10
Jester
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #25910
Thank you for all of your comments
Old 10-26-2020, 02:19 PM   #11
jsb5717
Montana Master

M.O.C. #23668
Also agree with the commentary. All furnaces are noisy. We found that our current furnace seems much quieter than in previous RV's. Then I stood outside and heard how loud it is. Placement/insulation makes the difference. I'm guessing that a person could figure out how to place batten or rigid insulation between the furnace and the living space and reduce the impact on the interior.
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 08:12 PM   #12
R.S.O'Donnell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25842
Ours sounds like a jet taking off of an aircraft carrier too but works well.
I'm assuming it just has to do with the BTU output.
R.S.O'Donnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 09:38 AM   #13
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Where we winter there was us and a HC right next to us and several folks mentioned they thought two jets were flying by on winter nights.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 12:45 PM   #14
MikeandJo4
Established Member

M.O.C. #24879
I couldn't agree more that the burners in these furnaces are just plain loud. We've been working directly with Keystone since late last year trying to get them to realize that this type of exterior noise is not acceptable and what are they going to do about it (as well as too many other quality issues to list). Have they ever actually listened to one?? I shouldn't have to feel guilty about using the furnace. Our friends SOB is comparably very quiet but it's a Suburban. Ours is Atwood. It's always the same thing in the morning from neighbors or friends. "What is that noise"?? Like we are the joke of the group. We finally quit using the furnace when possible and use electric. Rumor has it the 21's "may" have the Suburban as well as quite a few more changes in components used. Very disappointed overall with this trailer after drinking the Montana Koolaid. It's #7 for us, the most expensive and by far the worst component and build quality. Too bad because the layout and size really fit our wants quite well.
Mike.
MikeandJo4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 01:08 PM   #15
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
We're currently at at an Indiana State Park. A new Montana High Country pulled into a neighboring campsite and last night I took our dogs out for a potty. Their furnace kicked on, and it sounded just like mine! Like a jet engine at take off.

Just an FYI!
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 02:41 PM   #16
sourdough
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26010
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandJo4 View Post
I couldn't agree more that the burners in these furnaces are just plain loud. We've been working directly with Keystone since late last year trying to get them to realize that this type of exterior noise is not acceptable and what are they going to do about it (as well as too many other quality issues to list). Have they ever actually listened to one?? I shouldn't have to feel guilty about using the furnace. Our friends SOB is comparably very quiet but it's a Suburban. Ours is Atwood. It's always the same thing in the morning from neighbors or friends. "What is that noise"?? Like we are the joke of the group. We finally quit using the furnace when possible and use electric. Rumor has it the 21's "may" have the Suburban as well as quite a few more changes in components used. Very disappointed overall with this trailer after drinking the Montana Koolaid. It's #7 for us, the most expensive and by far the worst component and build quality. Too bad because the layout and size really fit our wants quite well.
Mike.

In my experience they are all comparatively loud - it's that way in most that I've seen. During our winter stay you can hear them all kicking on and off around the park on a cool morning. Sitting next to some pretty expensive Class As (Prevost etc.) you can hear them firing off as well. I can't imagine anyone in a RV park that has owned an RV asking "what is that noise" unless they have never turned on an RV furnace (at least went outside). I will say that this trailer's exhaust is quieter than my last one and they both had the same size Atwood furnace.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 04:57 AM   #17
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
One thing I miss from our old TT to the new Montana is the furnace was on the door side. When I'm hunting this time of year, the exhaust makes for a great hand warmer when you're processing deer or doing any chores outside around the camper.
Both our old and new one are quite loud as described above.
RMcNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 12:34 PM   #18
DebNJim B
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21158
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMcNeal View Post
One thing I miss from our old TT to the new Montana is the furnace was on the door side. When I'm hunting this time of year, the exhaust makes for a great hand warmer when you're processing deer or doing any chores outside around the camper.
Both our old and new one are quite loud as described above.
I too use ours as a hand warmer when I'm dumping the tanks in winter. It does bother me a bit to know I'm dumping so much hot air outside. Wish I could capture more of it use inside.

DebNJim B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 09:12 AM   #19
wndshldgoes

M.O.C. #25868
Ours in our 2014 Mountaineer 358 RLT is fairly quiet outside, Dometic unit. The loud part for us is the round register in the bathroom floor near the toilet. The small diameter tube that feeds the vent is so close to the furnace, it is where we get the jet engine sound as we are trying to sleep. Anyone have a remedy to quiet that vent down??
wndshldgoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 11:57 AM   #20
Tom N OH
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17678
Maybe get a longer piece of the duct tubing & loop it under the floor so it’s not a direct shot from the furnace.
Tom N OH is offline   Reply With Quote