Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 02-20-2022, 02:03 PM   #21
RetiredandRollin
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #27367
LOL!!! I can see Brad's (KOWBRA) point, it does sound like you already had your mind up. Buuuut, I can also understand you wanting to hear others opinion on the matter. I get it.
Having said that, as I read everyones comments I find that I'm one of those that lives in the middle when it comes to this topic. I have snap pads on and love them; I also have 6 - pieces of 6x12" in the bed of the truck and not to be undone I also have a pack of camco yellow leveling blocks somewhere in the storage bay. I have had the opportunity to use them all. The situation has always dictated what I was comfortable using; rainy, muddy, grass, pea rock, gravel, soft/hard clay. Whatever the circumstance I used what I deemed appropriate or a combination.

The $$$ issue is a totally different thing, if the price starts off as a "too much" thought, it probably isn't worth it to you and you shouldn't get them. If the money is not an issue, they are easy to use and convenient, get them.

Just my 2 cents.
Safe travels to all. My next trip starts in 4 weeks and I'm heading west for 7 months (HURRAY I CAN"T WAIT)

RetiredandRollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2022, 02:04 PM   #22
bigred715
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5091
I have used scrap lumber from building sites for 20 years. I pick pcs that are 4x8 and cut to right length. They will split and have to be replaced every couple of years. I stack 2 high for about 8" in height. Free is best for me and would never pay $200 blocks. Use them on front jacks and rear stabelizers. Save money where I can.
bigred715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2022, 02:23 PM   #23
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
Would not be without them! Especially after a long drive I want to set up with as little time wasted as possible! Think how much you could save without auto level!
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2022, 04:27 PM   #24
Jritz
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #25583
I have to say I love my snap pads. I have them on 2020 3855br I have about 30,000 mile on the 5er and I have spent about at least a night in 75 camp grounds. Snap pads will be my first purchase for all my future RV.
Jritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2022, 05:09 PM   #25
gary&sherry&yorkies
Established Member

M.O.C. #26665
Definitely worth it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RK & Jen View Post
I really like my Snap Pads and believe they were worth the cost. The have been on for three years.
Yes they are definitely worth it! I was skeptical at first until that first morning when we were packing up to leave and it was pouring down the rain. That was one less thing I had to deal with.
gary&sherry&yorkies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2022, 05:23 PM   #26
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
I recently shamed myself into cutting my scrap 2x6s to the same length - makes them all real pretty! Snap pads may be in my future.
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2022, 07:10 PM   #27
Sparatacus
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #24110
I bought some Snap Pads and made some wood to go under them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3775.JPG
Views:	24
Size:	241.2 KB
ID:	11392   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3774.JPG
Views:	18
Size:	241.8 KB
ID:	11393   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3834.JPG
Views:	28
Size:	235.8 KB
ID:	11394   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3837.JPG
Views:	16
Size:	224.5 KB
ID:	11395  
Sparatacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2022, 07:38 PM   #28
Hit The Road
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #27454
Pads

I found myself at a lumberyard. I asked if they had any 6" x 12" x 18" beans. They had some "scrap" and they cut it up and gave it to me ! Solid blocks. I screwed in some webbing handles and it's good enough for me. We use them at home and travel with lightweight orange leveling blocks.
Hit The Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2022, 08:55 PM   #29
kowbra
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26690
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselguy View Post
Brad … I’ve been on the MOC several years and haven’t asked many questions unless I wanted to know something for my benefit as well as for others that are interested in my question. We all buy things and later have buyer's remorse. I wanted to know if there was any “snap pad” remorse here on the MOC. Frankly I’m satisfied with the responses from both sides.

I’ll also go as far as to beg to differ with you on what snap pads and wood do as to function. They both provide a larger foot print and they both somewhat cushion the foundation for the hydraulic rams. As for the 1-1/8” number … for conversations sake, I loped off the hexagon points and went with the advertised 9” dia for standard feet and 11” dia for “snap pads”. (Put a 9" circle squarely inside an 11" circle and what do you have all the way around ... about 1") And yes I can calculate what percentage of area that is.
Thanks, I appreciate you clarifying. I still believe your original language it seemed - to me - that you were just interested in "stirring the pot". YMMV.

As to "intended use"... the unique features of snap pads are that they remain attached - your wood, and other pads, do not. They are different. Whether you value that difference is up to you, but intended usage is definitely not the same.

What is missing in your simple math is that the snap pads are flexible and that impacts how the load is spread out. I have used them on wet grass where the OEM pads would sink out of sight. In the past that would have required putting wood or other pads. The snap pads worked fine... you could see them flexing in the soft ground and they did sink, perhaps 1 inch. But they were quite serviceable for the 3 days we were there. I've stayed in similar places and not sure that a few wood blocks would have done that much better (IOW, would 1" be so much worse than .75"?)
I still carry a couple of my older pads; which are about 14" square and made of recycled rubber. But where I used to carry 6 of them, I only carry a couple, and only for those occasions where we might be on a slope and I want more height under the snap pads.

I still maintain that snap pads work better than it may seem. I was skeptical also, and only bought them knowing I could return them. After a few days using them, I knew they were staying on the rig.

And, BTW, I'm ok if others like wood or other pads. They are tried and proven.
But, snap pads serve a unique purpose and they do it well. To suggest otherwise is to miss the point and potentially provide misinformation to those who may be interested. I do hope our exchange provides the data for others to decide for themselves.

Brad
Old 02-21-2022, 06:48 AM   #30
JAWs
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21771
Quote:
Reading thru another thread prompted me to ask this question about "snap pads". After paying around $200 for six pads that are basically just a 1-1/8" bigger on the total circumference of a circle (rounding off the hexagon shape) ... looking back, do those of you that have bought these feel you really didn't think this purchase thru? My 6 scrap treated 2X6"'s appear to do the same intended job and "no" ... taking 2 minutes to retrieve them from my truck box is not defined as a bother to me.
Insinuating those of us who bought and like/love our snap pads don't think things thru is insulting.
I love mine! I am glad they made them!
JAWs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 07:45 AM   #31
elee3
Established Member

M.O.C. #18532
I have had snap pads on my rig for four or five years. I can't remember how much I paid, but I think it was just over $100. On the snap pad website, they are currently $179 for the 6 pack ($30 each). I would pay that to replace them. With the Level-up system and the snap pads, it takes me about 5 minutes to unhook and level my camper. After a long day of driving, it's hard to put a price on that convenience. And, if you do the math, they increase the contact surface area by more than 25%. I still carry a few wood blocks and a pack of the plastic ones, but not nearly as much as I did.
elee3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 08:37 AM   #32
Bruce in DFW
Established Member

M.O.C. #28272
I don't think Snap Pads are worth the price...

We lost the two middle jack Snap Pads going out of a gas station that had a larger than normal dip. Then, the front two became loose and would not stay securely on the jack foot. I use the Camco yellow plastic pads now - two sets of them. They are much less expensive and weigh a lot less.
Bruce in DFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 10:24 AM   #33
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeBeFulltime View Post
That's the very reason I didn't get a set even when the price was more reasonable.
We had the same thoughts. Our front jacks on occasion low to the ground uneven terrain
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 11:19 AM   #34
elee3
Established Member

M.O.C. #18532
After installing the snap pads, I had to raise the front jacks. They were quite low with nothing on them.
elee3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 01:31 PM   #35
Mikelff
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26851
I get that folks like their snap pads. I got a 12x8 pressure treated scrap board from HD for $8 and cut 8 blocks with rope handles. Takes me less than a minute to throw them under the pads, or pick them up. Have only had 1 time that I needed more than one block to level because of an un level site. I’d rather save the $192 for something else. For me, there is nowhere near a $200 value in them. Others may see it. Personal choice.
Mikelff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 06:54 PM   #36
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
One of the great things about being an American is we seldom follow the crowd. We can do whatever we want, whenever we want assuming we stay relatively within the law.

I seldom use anything under my jacks unless I am parking in really soft ground which is fairly rare here in AZ.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 07:35 PM   #37
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Thanks for everybody’s participation to my question as this will be about it on this topic for me. When Snap Pads first came out years back, I had made a decision that they were just too pricey for their convenience. My tax gal was good to me this year and provided me with some spare cash to burn, so I decided to revisit the pads. The point of this thread for me was to find real opinions of past users. You’d be surprised as to how many supportive online testimonials of a given product are either solicited and/or compensated for … an issue sadly proven thru law enforcement investigation.

Long time MOCers know me for having no finesse when it comes to conversation of any topic. That’s simply me with no excuses or apologies. I treat everyone the same … hard, fast, and straight up the middle. I find an extra half bowl of “Wheaties” cereal in the mornings takes the sting away from someone else‘s verbiage of an opinion that doesn’t agree with mine.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2023, 02:02 PM   #38
TripleP
Established Member

M.O.C. #31426
Any idea how much those camco fasten pads weigh compared to the snap pads or just in general?
Old 03-04-2023, 02:22 PM   #39
bshgto
Montana Master

M.O.C. #16013
Quote:
Thanks for everybody’s participation to my question as this will be about it on this topic for me. When Snap Pads first came out years back, I had made a decision that they were just too pricey for their convenience. My tax gal was good to me this year and provided me with some spare cash to burn, so I decided to revisit the pads. The point of this thread for me was to find real opinions of past users. You’d be surprised as to how many supportive online testimonials of a given product are either solicited and/or compensated for … an issue sadly proven thru law enforcement investigation.

Long time MOCers know me for having no finesse when it comes to conversation of any topic. That’s simply me with no excuses or apologies. I treat everyone the same … hard, fast, and straight up the middle. I find an extra half bowl of “Wheaties” cereal in the mornings takes the sting away from someone else‘s verbiage of an opinion that doesn’t agree with mine.
Might want to try Decafe
F350 Ford Dually 4:10`s w/bags (payload 5595 lbs) Sumo Springs 63 gal aux tank
Reese Goosebox Mor/Ryde SRE 4000 X Factors Monroe shocks.... real smooth ride
bshgto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2023, 02:39 PM   #40
Camp CA
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25828
Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleP View Post
Any idea how much those camco fasten pads weigh compared to the snap pads or just in general?
Camco fasten pads https://www.camco.net/fasten weigh very little vs. Snap Pads.......but love not having to get the Camco pads out of storage and place them properly aligned under the jack feet. My XTRA-6 pack https://rvsnappad.com/products/xtra-6-pack cost $170 last summer.