Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 04-18-2019, 07:57 AM   #1
Harrisden54
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #23419
A/C drips water

I have a 2019 High Country 384BR and have noticed on hot days when both
A/C's are running I get a drip from the ceiling near the main/rear Quiet Cool A/C. It drips on the rear couch against the rear wall. It has only happened a few times. It is parked under cover so it can't be rain water.
I took it to the dealer and they could not duplicate the problem, but had the A/C fan on high instead of Auto. It also was not quite as hot out when they had it. They said it was condensation from the ducts causing the drip and running the fan on high instead of auto will prevent the dripping.
Has anyone on here experienced a similar issue and is running the fan on high a good solution.

Harrisden54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 08:11 AM   #2
davemitchell59
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23524
I haven't experienced it, but I'd start with checking the unit on the roof to make sure the condensation collection and drain system on the roof isn't plugged. I would have thought the dealership would have, at a minimum, checked that. The unit is going to produce water and there should be a provision on the unit to collect and drain the condensation water off of the AC unit and off the roof. If it doesn't drain properly, it has to go somewhere. Which appears to be the vent and your couch.
2017 Montana 3731FL
davemitchell59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 10:08 AM   #3
Harrisden54
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #23419
Thanks for the suggestion. I have checked the roof area and everything seems to be draining. Since it is under cover most of the time I don't get hardly any debris on the roof that would clog the drainage areas. The water drops are coming through the seem in the ceiling not the vent.
Old 04-19-2019, 05:49 AM   #4
Mark Stueck
Established Member

M.O.C. #18844
Send a message via AIM to Mark Stueck
ac return

fought this fight for over a year. mine turned out to be the return ducts up to the ac. the ducts are poorly made and are sucked nearly closed while working and the only place to get enough air is thru the water drain hole in the pan. therefore not allowing the pan to drain. problem addressed somewhere else on this forum but bottom line is you may need to install short sections of PVC pipe in lower AND upper duct going to roof unit.
Mark Stueck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 06:57 AM   #5
ChuckS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20949
Have you physically removed the AC roof top cover and verified the drain lines one each side of the condenser area are clear and the drain holes at bottom of AC mount plate are clear... you can’t see these without removing the cover.
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 10:29 AM   #6
Harrisden54
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #23419
The first thing I did was remove the cover and check the drains. It was only a month or so old at the time and they were very clean.
Old 04-19-2019, 10:34 AM   #7
Harrisden54
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #23419
Questions for Mark. When you had the problem, was the water dripping from the vents or through the seem in the ceiling. Did you do the PVC pipe repair yourself and if so how do you get access to the ducts?
Old 04-19-2019, 10:47 AM   #8
mootana
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #15746
Harrisden54,
Will you post a picture showing where the drip is coming from? This would help.
Old 04-20-2019, 06:24 AM   #9
Harrisden54
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #23419
Having a hard time attaching photos. I uploaded them and they show up in the attachments (paper clip icon) but when I click on "insert all" it does not attach them to the post. If there is another way to attach the photos, please let me know.
The water is dripping from the center of the ceiling at the rear of the unit about 2-3" in front of the cabinets mounted against the back wall at the ceiling. There is a trim piece that covers a seam in the ceiling that goes from side to side. It drips from the trim piece covering the seem and ends up on the couch against the back wall.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180817_092026.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	182.7 KB
ID:	3555   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180817_091952.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	200.4 KB
ID:	3556   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180607_130929.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	185.5 KB
ID:	3557  
Old 04-20-2019, 06:40 AM   #10
wargoos
Established Member

M.O.C. #23808
I live in Miami and just had our new 2019 hooked up with both AC units running for several days during our setup process... Very humid down here so we had a great deal of water runoff from the roof produced by the units. Interior was dry.... For trouble shooting, I recommend,

1. While running the units, inspect water runoff from condensation on the roof. Make sure that design is functioning properly.
2. If it is coming from a vent line producing condensation, insulating the line where it is most exposed to air from the exterior of the line should help.

Good luck.
wargoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 08:35 PM   #11
mootana
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #15746
AC Drip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrisden54 View Post
Having a hard time attaching photos. I uploaded them and they show up in the attachments (paper clip icon) but when I click on "insert all" it does not attach them to the post. If there is another way to attach the photos, please let me know.
The water is dripping from the center of the ceiling at the rear of the unit about 2-3" in front of the cabinets mounted against the back wall at the ceiling. There is a trim piece that covers a seam in the ceiling that goes from side to side. It drips from the trim piece covering the seem and ends up on the couch against the back wall.
By your description, I believe you have an AC duct that might be leaking. The cold air is mixing with the hot air in your attic. I say this, because of the location of the drip as in comparison to the location of the duct work. I would get to a dealer. You could even contact Keystone Consumer Affairs at 866-425-4369 and see if there is a closer dealer to get the problem addressed. When you call, be sure to have the last 8 digits of your vin number. That will speed everything up. Good luck.
Old 04-21-2019, 09:07 PM   #12
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Good answer mootana/Samtana! Hopefully, Customer Affairs will refer Dennis to another dealer that can fix his problem.

Dennis-- I've read on similar posts that the bolts that anchor the A/C unit to the roof have been loose and not tightened enough to compress the seal between the A/C unit and the roof. You might want to get up on the roof, remove the A/C cover and check those bolts also. I think there is one on each corner of the unit if I'm not mistaken. Tighten then down but don't over torque them because you could cause an even bigger problem. I'm sending you a PM on this also. Keep us informed on how things go and if you get the problem solved also.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 05:58 AM   #13
Harrisden54
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #23419
Thanks. I will check the bolts on the roof unit. I've also read on different threads about collapsed return ducts and will check those. The dealer I took it to kept the fan on high when troubleshooting and could not duplicate the problem.
I have not had very good luck with Keystone with other issues. I call them and they tell me to call the dealer. I call the dealer where I purchased it (10 hours away from where I keep it under cover) and they tell me it is a Keystone problem, call them. I call dealers close to where it is and most say if you didn't buy it here we won't do warranty work on it. I'm hoping it is something I can troubleshoot and fix myself.
Getting ready to leave for southern Utah first of May and will not be able to get to a dealer until late May and my 1 year warranty expires June 6.
Old 04-28-2019, 02:05 PM   #14
deansue1
Established Member

M.O.C. #23342
I had the same problem on my old motor home took the out side cover off then had to remove the metal cover over the coils partly lifted up the coils and found a drain pan that was plugged under the coils I enlarged the drain holes and that fixed the problem
deansue1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 02:37 PM   #15
Swanns

M.O.C. #23503
A/C drips

We had a similar issue. After running the downstairs a/c we found water leaked from the seam into our cabinet. At first we thought rain but no. We called Keystone (we have a 2019 High Country 321MK) and found a local dealer/service. They found a problem with the duct work not aligning. This caused condensation to not flow properly and back up and leak. Once it was fixed, no water in our cabinet. Keep following through. I went through the dealer since the work was under the first year warranty. Keystone was actually very helpful. (We got three other issues fixed at the same time). Good luck!
Swanns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 06:04 AM   #16
Harrisden54
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #23419
Checked the bolts on the roof and they were tight. All drains still clean and working. I makws sense that it is a separated duct causing the condensation and drips. It will be taking it to a dealer ASAP.
Old 07-01-2019, 08:26 AM   #17
Harrisden54
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #23419
mootana,
You replied to my 4/18/19 post "A/C drips water" suggesting I may have an A/C duct leaking based on the photos I attached. I have it at the dealer now and they say they can't duplicate the leak. I spoke to Keystone Customer Affairs and they were not able to help. The A/C dripped the first day after purchasing it from the dealer and has done so several times in hot weather. This is the 2nd dealer I've had it to for the issue but they can't seem to duplicate the problem. It will be out of warranty when I pick it back up. Is there a way I can easily troubleshoot a leaking A/C duct? I'm afraid I will be stuck with damage and an expensive repair for something that has been happening since the day I purchased it.
Old 07-01-2019, 08:35 AM   #18
mootana
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #15746
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrisden54 View Post
mootana,
You replied to my 4/18/19 post "A/C drips water" suggesting I may have an A/C duct leaking based on the photos I attached. I have it at the dealer now and they say they can't duplicate the leak. I spoke to Keystone Customer Affairs and they were not able to help. The A/C dripped the first day after purchasing it from the dealer and has done so several times in hot weather. This is the 2nd dealer I've had it to for the issue but they can't seem to duplicate the problem. It will be out of warranty when I pick it back up. Is there a way I can easily troubleshoot a leaking A/C duct? I'm afraid I will be stuck with damage and an expensive repair for something that has been happening since the day I purchased it.
Harrisden54,
I've sent you a PM.
Old 07-01-2019, 11:48 AM   #19
Harrisden54
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #23419
Just received a call from Alisha Howton with Keystone Customer Relations. (I did get her permission to mention her name). What a breath of fresh air it was talking to her. She addressed all of my warranty issues and provided viable solutions to my problems. She represents the Keystone Company very well and Keystone is very lucky to have her as an employee.
Old 07-01-2019, 04:02 PM   #20
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
I have had the oppertunity to talk to Alisha. I second that sentiment
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote