Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 11-08-2018, 04:54 PM   #1
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Full timing in the desert, keeping her warm and cool

As I have already mentioned in a couple other posts, the wife and I are moving to Carlsbad, NM and will be fulltime for at least a while. As such, I am rather concerned about keeping the 5er warm and cool.

There is no shade and you cannot build a cover over the RV at the campground where we will be located (not that there is much shade to be found in NM anyway). So everything will have to be attached to the 5er in some fashion. The 5er will most likely be sitting in one spot for extended timeframe so even semi permanent additions that would have to be removed to move the RV is something we would consider (as long as they aren't unattractive).

DQDick has a third roof A/C and I discussed same with him. We will definitely be doing that add.

I also know there are some locations where adding foam insulation might help a little.

Any other suggestions are very welcome.

2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 06:07 PM   #2
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Maybe I'm not quite up on things, but I see no point in a 3rd a/c since you can only run 2 at a time anyway with 50 amp hook ups. ?

My only recommendation would be window awnings/bubble wrap on windows/skylights. And of course find a place to stay WITH TREES. Lol
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 08:49 PM   #3
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Staying warm isn't a problem. Many of us have a home style propane tank and they deliver monthly.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 09:17 PM   #4
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeje View Post
Maybe I'm not quite up on things, but I see no point in a 3rd a/c since you can only run 2 at a time anyway with 50 amp hook ups. ?

My only recommendation would be window awnings/bubble wrap on windows/skylights. And of course find a place to stay WITH TREES. Lol
The third AC is hooked up separately to the 15amp breaker. It requires a second power line but is worth it in the desert. It will have the added benefit of being able to run two ACs if we later stay where they only have 30amp service. And yes we will run the power professionally thru the walls or in conduit so it won't be a redneck cord running across the roof of the RV!

Trees around Carlsbad NM are called a mirage!
Old 11-08-2018, 09:19 PM   #5
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by DQDick View Post
Staying warm isn't a problem. Many of us have a home style propane tank and they deliver monthly.
Yes I was less worried about staying warm than staying cool.....

Do you just use the factory installed furnace or do you supplement with more?
Old 11-09-2018, 04:19 AM   #6
Eagleback
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15731
In Florida full time we are using the harbor freight mesh sun screen tarps and we are shading the sides of the camper from the sun and it makes a difference. We can not erect a carport ether.
2017, 3500 Ram Big Horn, 4x4, Crew Cab, DRW, Aisin Transmission, 4:10. Curt Q20, 2014 Mountaineer 331 RLT, Sailun's on the rv and truck.
Eagleback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 05:57 AM   #7
mazboy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9561
try never to use the furance, noisy.
the fireplace is great for cool nights. also use a small electric heater.
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 08:05 AM   #8
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlakejim View Post
Yes I was less worried about staying warm than staying cool.....

Do you just use the factory installed furnace or do you supplement with more?
Yes we use the furnace. Mazboy must not camp in the high desert. Pipes can and do freeze here. We also use the fireplace and heat pump when appropriate, but in our rig heating like that leaves you with a cold spot where the theater seats are. Not approved by the DW
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 09:15 AM   #9
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by DQDick View Post
Yes we use the furnace. Mazboy must not camp in the high desert. Pipes can and do freeze here. We also use the fireplace and heat pump when appropriate, but in our rig heating like that leaves you with a cold spot where the theater seats are. Not approved by the DW
Our cold spot is the kitchen because it is in a pit created by steps going up to front living room and rear bedroom. I wish they ha used the wisdom to add taller storage under the kitchen by raising that floor to same height as rest of living area. Granted it would create several more steps for entry exit but it would have been a lot more livable
Old 11-10-2018, 03:59 AM   #10
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
Jim,

Insulate Vents. Get a heated water hose. Carlsbad had a bit of snow last year. You are doing the right thing following Dick's lead with 3rd AC. I like the way he did it.
IF you do not have them, slide toppers. They will keep the sun off of the top of the slide.

Oh and wear sunscreen. Thinner air means rougher sun.

Get a black light and go out at night and look for scorpions. Just do not do it with DW.
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 09:18 AM   #11
DCHuts
Established Member

M.O.C. #22396
How about a portable home A/C unit? They draw 12-15 amps and blow our a huge volume of cool air. Bought one for the house this past summer, worked great and you can store it away when not in use.
DCHuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 11:43 AM   #12
BiggarView
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19382
Send a message via AIM to BiggarView
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffba View Post
Jim,

Get a black light and go out at night and look for scorpions. Just do not do it with DW.
Great, something completely off my radar... is now stuck in my head.

2017 RAM 3500 Laramie CCLB Dually CTD Aisin, OEM auto level rear air-ride, B&W hitch
2020 3813MS Legacy Cobalt FBP, MORryde 8K IS & pinbox, PI EMS,DIY mods by in-house "craftsman", RV security system Mk1 Beagle Alerter
BiggarView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 07:56 AM   #13
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffba View Post
Jim,

Insulate Vents. Get a heated water hose. Carlsbad had a bit of snow last year. You are doing the right thing following Dick's lead with 3rd AC. I like the way he did it.
IF you do not have them, slide toppers. They will keep the sun off of the top of the slide.

Oh and wear sunscreen. Thinner air means rougher sun.

Well the Scorpions will be a new thing. Carlsbad looks to run about 10F warmer than north Arkansas so temps won’t be all that different. We get more snow with wetter climate and the humidity makes it feel a lot warmer/colder in general but Carlsbad has the wind so I guess it is a wash. Big difference for us is going full time as opposed to weekend warrior. I did spend a few years in the Texas panhandle so got an idea what plains living is like
Old 05-11-2020, 11:43 AM   #14
Kruskop's
Established Member

M.O.C. #22567
Quote:
As I have already mentioned in a couple other posts, the wife and I are moving to Carlsbad, NM and will be fulltime for at least a while. As such, I am rather concerned about keeping the 5er warm and cool.

There is no shade and you cannot build a cover over the RV at the campground where we will be located (not that there is much shade to be found in NM anyway). So everything will have to be attached to the 5er in some fashion. The 5er will most likely be sitting in one spot for extended timeframe so even semi permanent additions that would have to be removed to move the RV is something we would consider (as long as they aren't unattractive).

DQDick has a third roof A/C and I discussed same with him. We will definitely be doing that add.

I also know there are some locations where adding foam insulation might help a little.

There is a company out of Texas that makes an RV roof cover and boasts cools roof by 15 degrees. We have considered it as we are in Mesa AZ year round. Costs about $1000. We keep AC at 78 and on extreme heat days at 106 inside holds at 80 in kit/leg and front bath/BR 82. I put a floor utility fan at front blowing toward back and pushes cool air all the way through. It’s all about circulating the cool air. I don’t want the 3rd AC because we love to use vent in the cooler months. Now when it reaches 120 degrees that may change our minds as this will be our first summer here.
See shade at www.shaderv.com.
Kruskop's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 05:07 PM   #15
Charlie 3931fb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25947
Quote:

Hi there,

We stayed in Santa Fe NM for a whole year in 2010 to 2011. Its up at about 7000 feet where we were at. The night time temps got into the teen's 8 times that winter. so it was heat that we were having to deal with.

The 2 air con's worked great in the summer time. Even if we had to start them in the middle of the day.

Like I said, Keeping us warm was another issue. Not that the heater didn't work fine. It did but boy it ate up a lot of LP fuel. The park would not let me add a 150# tank on the outside of our unit and I got tired of hauling tanks every week. So we got electrical heaters. Help out great. I was getting fuel one a month instead of every week. We got 2 small heater. one in the bedroom and one in the galley by the big TV. Even when it snowed we were nice and warm. It did add to our electric bill, but it was worth that extra cost.

Good luck, you will be fine out there.

Oh, My wife just said not to forget to tell you about the electric blanket we also used

Charlie
Charlie 3931fb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 08:30 AM   #16
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Check the cost of running a couple of Lasko tower heaters versus the on board propane. The heaters are more versatile, you can move them from room to room and vary the heat from low to high. Also you can't run out of heat like you will propane. Walmart has them for less than $50.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 09:33 AM   #17
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Any electric heater will work. They all are 100% efficient, you get $1 worth of heat for every dollar of electricity it uses no more no less. The only exception is if it has a small fan and that makes it slightly less efficient.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote