Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 03-23-2017, 02:40 PM   #1
K&Gs3400RL
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9671
Who has replaced Black Tank?

Did you Have a dealer do it? Or is it something I can do? I know a vent needs to be installed, but wouldn't have a clue how to do it my self.

K&Gs3400RL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 03:54 PM   #2
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
Black tank has three connections...inlet from toilet, 1.5" vent pipe, and the 3" outlet plus the wires that connect to the worthless tank levels gauge. First two have to be cut close to the tank, but leaving enough pipe for a rubber no hub coupling when it comes time to re-install. Output pipe means disassembly of valve which is messie or cutting the piping before it connects to the y coupling....best to do...then connect back again with a 3" no hub coupling. Tank is held in place by steel square tubing under the side lips at the top of the tank, so one of these, inside rail, should be the one that can be removed. Tank will fall out unless you are prepared when removing the rail. All this work needs to be done on your back while laying under the rig. So if you can do all this, then happy work party. It will be a bit of work and if you decide to break the outlet valve instead of cutting the pipe...be prepared to get some numbers one and two flowing out even with an empty tank. And it doesn't smell to nice under there while working either.
jcurtis934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 11:39 PM   #3
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Jcurtis934 gave you a good overview of the process. But he omitted 2 key things. You have to drill a 3" hole for the toilet line connection and a 1.5" hole for the vent pipe. And they have to match the location of the existing pipes in the tank being removed.

Yesterday I watched as a mobile repair guy and helper removed and replaced both the black and shower tanks on a neighbors rig. It only took a little over 3 hours start to finish. Obviously they had done this before but there was really nothing too difficult involved.

One slick thing I didn't know before is how they attach the toilet and vent pipes to the tank. I believe the originals used a spin-weld type of connection. The mobile guy used a flexible rubber grommet which slips into the tank for attaching the two pipes. Lots of sealant around the grommet and glue for the pipes and you have a tight connection.

Attached Images

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 12:07 PM   #4
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
Cool picture, carl! Did not know about this type of fitting.I was thinking of it from the standpoint of dropping tank to repair with plasti-mend kits. I was wondering what I could use if I ever needed a new tank and now I know.
jcurtis934 is offline   Reply With Quote