Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 03-19-2017, 04:22 PM   #1
Billnagy
Established Member

M.O.C. #15862
Slides stop working

Hello everyone,

I am experiencing a problem with my three main slides (kitchen, dining/living room and bunkhouse) on my 2015 mountaineer 356tbf. I opened them with no problem, but when trying to retract I get no contact whatsoever. I checked all the fuses and found all to be intact. Batteries strength is full. When I pulled the fuses to check them there is an open contact red light that comes on at the circuit board. I found that there was a few of these red lights that didn't come on when pulling the fuse so I am assuming maybe the board is toast?
Thanks!

Billnagy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 10:07 AM   #2
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
The red indicator lights will only come on if there is a load on the field side of the fuse. For example, if the fuse is supplying power to a light. The light must be in the on position before the indicator will light. Doesn't matter that the light won't work with the fuse out it still needs to recognize the load of the bulb. Your problem sounds more like a switch issue. Are your slides electric or hydraulic?
Old 03-20-2017, 10:28 AM   #3
Slufoot733
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9928
Agree. Sounds like the switch may be shot. Not a major problem. I believe that is a DPDT (double throw, double throw) center off, momentary contact switch. Most any good RV parts dealer should have them available.
Slufoot733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 11:06 AM   #4
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
Not enough info to diagnose. As previously asked...electric slides or hydraulic?
jcurtis934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 07:25 PM   #5
psomers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12724
Mountaineer has hydraulic slides. At least mine does. Same pump as used on Montana.
psomers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 10:54 PM   #6
Billnagy
Established Member

M.O.C. #15862
Thanks for the replies! I'm not sure if I have a hydraulic or electric. The reservoir and pump I have is for the auto level system in the front above the batteries.I've looked through my documentation and it doesn't tell me anything. I will try the switch as recommended.
Psomers, where is your pump located?
Old 03-21-2017, 06:03 AM   #7
psomers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12724
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billnagy View Post
Thanks for the replies! I'm not sure if I have a hydraulic or electric. The reservoir and pump I have is for the auto level system in the front above the batteries.I've looked through my documentation and it doesn't tell me anything. I will try the switch as recommended.
Psomers, where is your pump located?
It's located in the front next to the battery. Mine doesn't have auto level but I think your pump is for both auto level and slides. Look behind little door on street side and see if you don't have valve shut offs for the slides.
How do you stop one of the slides from going out? If a turn knob then hydraulic.
psomers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 09:27 PM   #8
Billnagy
Established Member

M.O.C. #15862
Yes the 3 slides are hydraulic, as they are extended by a piston with a ribbed track guide. Psomers you are probably right that both the auto levellers and slides run from the same reservoir above the batteries. When I tried to trace the lines they looked like they were only going to the auto levellers. The tank seems low but I assume it needs to fluctuate as it's being used. There is no fill or full line on the reservoir. When I have a moment to escape from work to pick a new switch I will try that, but still welcome amd thank everyone for their input!
Old 03-21-2017, 11:31 PM   #9
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
With the slides fully in, and all the jacks fully retracted, the fluid level of the reservoir should be about 1/2 inch from the lip of the tank fill hole.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 08:27 PM   #10
Billnagy
Established Member

M.O.C. #15862
Thanks Bob! Right now with the 3 slides out and the 6 jacks extended there is about a quarter tank
Old 03-23-2017, 10:50 AM   #11
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
The hydraulic slide motor is powered through a "double" solonoid which is normally located close to the pump. This solonoid has 1 heavy wire going to the center of it and 2 heavy wires top and bottom going to one side or the other of the pump motor. When power is applied from the switch to extend the slides or legs one side of the solonoid is powered which turns the motor in one direction, when power is applied from the switch to retract the slides or legs the other leg of the solonoid is powered which causes the motor to turn in the opposite direction. I would check all wire connection at this solonoid to ensure they are tight.
If you have a VOM you can check to confirm which half of the solonoid is being activated when you push the switch to "extend" the slides or legs as you will have voltage on either the upper or lower terminals that go to the motor.. Now lets say you have voltage at the lower one when you "extend" the slides, then check to see if you have voltage on the upper terminal when you push the switch to "retract", if you do "not" have voltage on the upper terminal that would indicate either a bad switch or wire from the switch. If you "do" have voltage that would indicate that one half of the solonoid is not working or possible a problem with the motor.
As I said at the top, make sure all wires to the terminals on the solonoid and the motor are tight.
This procedure should determine what your problem is. Hope this helps.
Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 01:44 AM   #12
Billnagy
Established Member

M.O.C. #15862
thanks everyone for all your responses to this issue! I decided to try the levelling jacks to see if there would be any response with them as well. I tried to manually retract the jacks with no success. The keypad was unresponsive with retracting but indicated on the led readout that the voltage at 13.2 which shows my batteries were fully charged. A few days ago I did check the wiring for loose connections but I decided to double check all the leads on the wiring a second time and found the ground at the lower right side screwed into the wall at the propane compartment was slightly loose. The screw was a hex head #12 self tapping screw that appeared to be stripped. I tightened it up to just before stripping, went and tried the slide outs and voila! It worked! I took the trouble screw out, drilled a 1/4" hole and bolted the ground cable thru with a stainless bolt and nylock nut.
I don't know why keystone would use a very poor fastening method for something so critical. They could at least use some lock-tite on these fasteners!
Again that for everyone's input, I have learned much from this forum and am looking forward to the upcoming camping season. Safe travels!