Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 02-04-2016, 02:00 AM   #21
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
That's what I've always done and will continue to do. Just wanted to check and see if I was behind the times

DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 02:22 AM   #22
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
If it's nice outside we move out to enjoy along with the awning. Once it gets a bit windy we move inside along with rolling the awning in. We are just plain overprotective maybe but we like it like that.
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 08:50 AM   #23
Twopetes
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17535
I cannot disagree with any of the comments. I have the spring loaded tie-downs and I will put them out, but I do not like leaving the awning out if we are gone for the day and there is any weather or wind predicted. Here in South Carolina or Ga., if the weather forecast is no wind and hot, the awning stays out.

Interested, if you roll the awning in, what if you have slide covers. They are a little different, but still susceptible to wind (I would think)
Retired and Lovin’ it!
Twopetes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 02:03 PM   #24
mmgeol
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10293
Just bought a shade cloth from Shade-Pro in Yuma. I asked about tying it down, and the salesperson said to not tie it down because unexpected winds can rip the entire awning off the trailer.
mmgeol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 02:20 PM   #25
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I am due for a new awning. I will get tiedown stuff. I have seen two many mishaps and experienced too many close calls not to do this. I figure after over 10 years I shouldn't push my luck,
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 03:32 PM   #26
Neverhome
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18136
I always tie mine down but do roll it up and night and if I am leaving the unit. Good questions posted above on the slide covers. Mine are automatic so open and shut with the slide. Only room accessible with the slides in is the bedroom so bringing them in is not an option. Anyone have a solution for that?
Neverhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 01:07 AM   #27
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
When we are in PA for the summer I anchor the side arms to the Concrete patio slab also have a center support also anchor to slab basically the awning stays up all summer. When we travel I also use tie downs and if bad weather is predicted I put the awning up.
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 03:01 AM   #28
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We use the simple method when the wind kicks up or the forecast calls for high winds we push the button and the electric awning rolls up.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 03:31 AM   #29
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Ours is manual and I do tie it down. I use the screw in type ground anchors to anchor it to the ground and bungees to the corners of the awning to soften the bounce. I also use deflappers on both sides of the awning to the arms. Those do a great job of reducing the flapping. I just use (what I hope) is good judgement on whether to roll it up or not. As the winds often rise and fall throughout the day, I do not want to be rolling it out and rolling it in more than I have to. Have had it out in fairly strong winds with never a problem.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 04:38 AM   #30
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
A high wind will rip the awning out of the channel at the top. The stakes will be in the ground the tie downs will still be attached and the awning will be on the ground firmly attached to everything except the RV. We have seen that many times.
Old 02-05-2016, 05:21 AM   #31
RichR
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11369
When I had a manual awning I used to tie it down as Colorado can have a sudden wind blow up anytime. The Montana has a electric awning so I just roll it up, seem the easiest way to me. Can't reach the awning without a ladder anyway.
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 04:08 AM   #32
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Rich, you provide some good warnings, but in the 9 years I used my vinyl awning until the sun finally beat it to death, I think tying down the awning does not make it impervious to winds, I think the process improves the stability when the wind is stronger than usual but not enough to retract the awning. I have set up my rig and a slight wind would cause a ruckus, but my neighbors with tiedowns were silent and strong. However, with strong wind warnings even they would bring them up, but not always (hmmmm).

When I get my new awning (hopefully acrylic), I'll get a cover for it too, to minimize sun damage when it's rolled up.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 04:34 AM   #33
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
You are correct on the stability issue.We had some very high winds in the winters we spent in Az and winds coming off Lake Erie in a storm have been known to knock a camper over. We chose to not have anything impede us in retracting the manual awning therefore no tie down with the electric awning a push of a switch does it. Sun dies beat them to death this big sky has the cover and that will help.The main awning on our 06 3400 lasted 5 years in the A Z and Florida sun before it was washed out and dried out
Old 02-06-2016, 09:01 AM   #34
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

A high wind will rip the awning out of the channel at the top. The stakes will be in the ground the tie downs will still be attached and the awning will be on the ground firmly attached to everything except the RV. We have seen that many times.
Can't see why this wouldn't be a problem. Things are only as strong as the weakest link.
Old 02-06-2016, 09:51 AM   #35
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I think the main awnings are 16 feet long and a good wind will get up under that big surface area. Take a look at that channel it is not all that sturdy. It is defiantly the weakest link.
Old 02-06-2016, 10:15 AM   #36
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
I think the up/down popping is what eventually gets them. But securely tied down so that the awning is stretched tight and at least two deflappers on each side reduces that significantly.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 02:45 AM   #37
Former StClairSailor
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17151
First trip as a snowbird to Ft. Myers, FL area. Noted the number of awnings tied down, so I purchased a couple of twist down dog leads and springs. Used ratchet straps to hold the awing at the ends. Last week we had overnight 25 to 35 mph winds with gusts into the 50s. The noise from the flapping awning even scared our normally calm lab. Several times I jumped out of bed to see if the awning was still there. Wanting to get a good nights sleep, I retracted the awning the next morning as we still had very windy conditions. I also agree with Rich, the weak link is the channel and I didn't want to bet the awning on holding in those winds. The next night brought more high winds, but I didn't have to worry about the awning.
We have slide toppers, but they didn't make enough noise to wake us. Decided my policy now would be to tie down until the winds are predicted over a steady 20 mph. Then it gets retracted. That has worked good so far.

John & Laura___& Bentley
2017 Montana 3950BR
2015 GMC Sierra Denali Dually
Former StClairSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 03:48 AM   #38
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
I have used the same procedure for years and (knock on wood) have not lost an awning yet. On the manual we used the de-flappers in addition. On the electric de-flappers cannot be used. We use the ratchet type straps (two on each corner - one on roller tube and one on awning arm) and the screw in anchors are set at 90 degrees separation from each other at both corners of the awning (one extended out from the awning corner perpendicular to the rig and the other extended out from the awning parallel to the rig). I have springs that connect the tie-down strap to the screw anchors. We have endured 20-25 mph hour winds at the beaches with no problem, but if I see the spring travel an inch, the straps come off and the awning comes in. We do not leave the awning extended when we are not at the rig since beach thunderstorms can come up quickly. This is not intended as a recommendation for others (as always, do what you are comfortable with), but rather as experience and the success thereof. I will say that one time when excessive winds arose, the electric awning on the previous rig (3750FL) sat down (awning arms retracted themselves is the best way I can explain it) to a 45 degree angle which obviously rendered the tie-down straps inoperable. I believe that all of the electric awning are equipped with this feature, but I cannot confirm that. I would not be comfortable at the beach without the awning tied down in some fashion since the winds are usually pretty steady.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 04:13 AM   #39
pkbridges77
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17920
We're finishing up a week at Fort Wilderness and Savannah and anyone if the Florida-Georgia-Alabama area knows what the winds have been like over the last 10 days. Everywhere we saw awnings out they eventually made their way to the stowed position from what I saw. Why chance it? Now if I could figure out how to get that pull-down strap to quit banging the side at night
pkbridges77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 05:56 AM   #40
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
After the last couple of days of gusty winds I say an airstream with the awning support bent. It wasn't tied down, so I don't know if that would have prevented it, but it was definitely toast.