Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-28-2009, 02:54 PM   #1
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Water filters

Have a question! Been reading about water filters for the Monte and at the present we have the carbon tube type that fit in line on the hose. The question I have is "Can this be reused if it was sitting in the Monte's basement over the winter?" I emptied the water out of it after the last use and capped it off but can it be reused again or should I be leary of it if any mold or mildew could have built up in it over the winter until now? I hope to buy one of the ones that look like a regular stick house filter but have not got around to getting one yet!

Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 03:33 PM   #2
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I use mine for a year (12 months), then replace it. My rig sometimes sits for 2-3 months but we are usually out every 4-6 weeks for 5 or more days.

After breaking down camp, I drain the filter, in an upright position (inlet down), then I cap it until next time. I hope the carbon prevents mold/mildew, but after reconnecting it back in line I also run the water for 20-30 seconds before connecting it up. You might just run the water through it for a while and that should clear it.

Since this is the instructions that comes with the filter I am hoping that any mold or mildew will form way after one year which means I will have replaced it by then.

I think the inline and the canister types work the same way, so you might have the same concern. I believe most city water supplies are in pretty good shape and therefore it could take a while before mold/mildew forms.

I use the vendor's instructions and have been doing so for over 10 years and have had no problems so I think (I hope) it's cool.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 04:26 PM   #3
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I'd change it out. Don't think they are that much. I use the whole house filters (2) from Lowes. 1st filter is a sediment (white) filter and the 2nd is the carbon filter. We change out about every 6 months, but we are FTers in the winter in FL.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 03:00 AM   #4
DonPd
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4328
Here is a site with some information about filters. This might answers your question.

http://www.rvwaterfilterstore.com/AB...ACartridge.htm
DonPd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 12:22 PM   #5
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by DonPd

Here is a site with some information about filters. This might answers your question.

http://www.rvwaterfilterstore.com/AB...ACartridge.htm
Good link - thanks!
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote