Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 03-30-2009, 03:40 AM   #1
Paintpro99
Established Member

M.O.C. #3285
APOLLO 1/2 TIME OVEN

Well, what I have dreaded happening has finally happened. My Apollo 1/2 time oven has started acting up. The convection oven still works ok, but the microwave does not heat up. It was working fine up to yesterday, but last night when I tried to warm up a piece of coffee cake, it came out as cold as when it went in. The microwave sounds like it is working normally, but it is not heating. I even tried to heat up some water in a measuring cup for 3 minutes and it also came out cold. I'm wondering if there is a fuse somewhere in the back of the oven that might have blown. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Paintpro99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 03:57 AM   #2
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Hopefully your still under warranty. I would check that with your dealer or Apollo.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 05:49 AM   #3
Paintpro99
Established Member

M.O.C. #3285
Even though our Montana is an 08, we purchased it in 07 so it is no longer under warranty. After reading about all the problems that other people are having with their Apollo microwaves, I am hesitant to purchase another Apollo. Perhaps I will look for another brand of microwave that will fit into the space and keep my fingers crossed that it will last longer than a year and a half.
Paintpro99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 06:33 AM   #4
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
Our 2009 Montana came with a Sylvania convection/microvave oven. It should fit your unit.
NCFischers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 08:16 AM   #5
daneboy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4854
We have also had problems with the Apollo microwave. First the plastic button, that opens the oven broke & the door wouldn't open. Apollo was kind enough to replace the parts at no charge. Our last trip out, the microwave was making strange noises and wasn't heating. I pulled it out of the cabinet and pluged it in and it worked fine. No telling what's wrong, hopefully the cord wasn't plugged in tight and it'll work in the future, only time will tell??? I'll be looking for another brand to replace the Apollo, if it stops working again.
Jerry
daneboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 04:47 PM   #6
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
We surrendered on our Apollo after the microwave quit like yours did Paintpro. That was the 2nd and last vacation trip we had to go without the upper oven. We replaced it with a trouble free microwave like our 2003 had and I've never spent another day of vaction struggling to take the door apart or heating coffee in the campfire.

We just dont use convection. The one at home has never been on after 7 years.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 11:58 AM   #7
berridge
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6415
Our 09 came with a Sylvania convection microwave which developed a major electrical short shortly after we started using it. The replacement Keystone sent has a broken cooling fan and we wonder how long it will continue to operate. It does cook very well. Odly enough the Apollo we nad in our 07 worked fine.
berridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 04:51 PM   #8
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
The Sylvania in the 09 units is as bad as the apollo... it won't even make pop corn , even if you put it for 4 min , half is burndt and the rest is still kernals,,,sailer
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 05:47 PM   #9
KTManiac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8818

I think they have quit putting microwave/convection combos in the new Montanas, and have gone to just plain microwave ovens. At least that is what I saw in a new Hickory Edition unit the other day. Maybe they're finally fed up with replacing the combo units.

KTManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 03:47 AM   #10
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
Dan, (PaintPro)

I recommend that you communicate with your Montana dealer. We have the 2008 3400 purchased in October 2007. The Apollo Half Time Oven was replaced by our dealer due to the microwave not working. We are on a year + with the replacement Apollo.

If your dealer cannot or will not assist, you can contact Lynn, at Midwest Sales and Service at South Bend Indiana where the Apollo is distributed. The telephone number I have for Midwest is (574) 287-3365. If they can assist with a new one, it is not difficult to remove and re-install.
mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 04:41 AM   #11
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Also.....Apollo can sell you a re conditioned apollo for 100.00. We have one and it is fine. Helen likes the apollo so we will continue to have one.However call the above number and talk to them... The repair guy is Bob and he is very good.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 05:36 PM   #12
vickir
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2215
Steve installed our refurbished Apollo yesterday (the 1/2 oven died last week ... microwave and convection still worked fine). Too early to tell if it's a good one ... the old one lasted over 2-1/2 years, not a great lifespan but what can I say?

The Apollo people told Steve that the refurbished units (for $100 as Rich said ... our shipping was only $16) are not used but were returned by RV dealers for minor blemishes ... ours has a small dent on the inside back wall. For that price, I can live with a small dent that can only be seen when the door is open.

Rich ... Helen and I are apparently in the minority ... I like the Apollo too. Besides the mircrowave, I like the 1/2 time oven so much that our gas oven is our breadbox!
vickir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 01:44 PM   #13
clarkandsheila
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7994
Do call and talk to Apollo. Most microwaves have a fuse although not always easy to get at. Hopefully that's it.

We have an Apollo and it is still working after the second season so I'll cross my fingers and ???. It gets used a bunch. The only problem was the door release button broke one retaining finger and the others were bending inward-the wrong way - so the button kept popping out. I carefully heated them on the toaster and bent them slightly outwards. Now they catch and the button stays where it is supposed to.

clarkandsheila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 02:55 PM   #14
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
We had a similar problem with our Apollo. Sometimes when in microwave mode it would not heat. Sounded like it was working fine but produced cold coffee. I was fooling with it and noticed when it was not heating the turntable was not moving. While still in operation I pushed on the door with both hands, turntable started moving and coffee started warming. Had the problem a couple of other times since and the same fix remedied the issue. Haven't had time to examine further but I believe the door gets out of adjustment bouncing down the road. This puts the door latch out of adjustment, not allowing the microwave to function. Might try pushing on the top and bottom of the door on the latch side. Wife is not crazy about my fix but likes it better then cold coffee.
Old 04-17-2009, 07:43 AM   #15
cmawendy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9222
Our 2008 came with a sylvania microwave/convection and it quit working after 3 months of use. Hopefully the replacement one (which we have been waiting for a month) will be better. They have changed brands so hopefully it isn't the Apollo
cmawendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 08:13 AM   #16
Colden
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4400
We have an Apollo in our 2955RL. It's 4 yrs old. I mostly used it as a microwave and played around with the 1/2 time and convection. I last used the 1/2 time at the end of May and it never seemed to really cool off over the wknd which I thought was kind of odd. We got home Sunday afternoon; I went out the next morning to get something from the frig and saw the heating element in the back of the oven was still glowing red!! Couldn't figure how to turn it off so unplugged the camper from the house. Next time I tried to use just the micro it was making funny noises so we're going to get something new.

I have such a hard time getting the gas oven to light, and then once it's lit, to turn on that I'm really leaning toward the $100 replacement unit.
Colden is offline   Reply With Quote