Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 01-22-2009, 05:58 AM   #1
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
inauguration

My Kid sister Linda and her spouse Art have lived in the district many years. She is a Consultant and has worked on many campaigns including this one. Art is a Biology teacher in the D.C school system. They live out on Connecticut Ave N.W. I asked her to do a blog on the events of the day thinking that a first hand observation would be interesting. Here it is...

Hi, Folks - January 20th 2009 was a great day in Washington, cold and sunny. Art and I hosted about 20 people for inauguration day breakfast, starting at 7 AM. Everyone was very excited and totally bundled up for the low 30’s temperatures. Breakfast conversation centered around how people selected their gear and how many layers they were wearing. People left for downtown at different times, some more worried than others about getting a good spot the Mall. No one had tickets. My entourage included me, Art, my friend Pam from Philly and John, husband of friend Carmen, who didn't want to stand out in the cold. We headed out last, about 10AM, expecting to walk down or take the subway, if it weren't packed. However, before we had even walked a block, we saw a practically empty metro bus at the stop ahead, so we just climbed on. The bus driver wouldn't take any money!

The bus, which never filled up, deposited everyone about 2 ˝ miles south at Connecticut and M Street, near 18th street. We then walked down 18th street to the Mall - about another mile. It was busy, but not packed and all the downtown streets were closed to traffic. Everyone was talking to each other and Art befriended a couple of people from Maine who were interested in all his urban travel tips. It was about 10:50 when we got onto the mall and saw our first jumbotron. We felt our mission was accomplished. A jumbotron! Just like we had read about in the papers! We were on the far side of the Washington Monument, near the WWII Memorial. We wondered if there were a better, longer view ahead, but were afraid to give up our spot, as we watched the crowd fill in behind us. On the way down, Pam and I (short people) retrieved a couple of empty cardboard boxes that previously contained snacks that good Samaritans were handing out. Art combined the boxes, to strengthen them, so that the weight of one person wouldn’t cause it to collapse. We took turns, but could see fine without it. The people around us, like the people I’d seen the whole week-end in Washington thrilled to be here and thrilled to be together. We were an incredibly racially mixed crowd, with no clear majority of any group and lots of mingling.

Before the speech, we watched the jumbotron intently as bigwigs arrived for the swearing in. I noticed that the crowd loudly applauded prominent Democrats but was silent for prominent Republicans. The only booing was reserved for Bush and Cheney. It was more like low-level grumbling. The crowd became joyous, however, after the inaugural ceremonies, when we saw a military helicopter flying by. Presuming it was Bush leaving town, we all lifted our arms to the sky, waving “Good bye George!”

As the drowd started to move out, tt was time for my little group to plot the rest of our day. Art and John decided to walk home, but Pam and I stuck around to try to make our way to the parade. We succeeded!

I think most people who had been on the Mall just went home or back to their hotels. There had been many official warnings that people should choose between the swearing in or the parade, but that attending both activities wouldn't be possible, because Pennsylvania avenue would be blocked off. I figured it would be open beyond the parade route, which goes from 4th street to 16th, so why give up without even trying?

First, we retraced our steps back up the middle of 18th street, but this time in baby steps, in the huge press of flesh leaving the Mall. As I predicted, we were able to cross Pennsylvania avenue, which was blocked to vehicles, but not to pedestrians. Then we walked up one more block and turned right on H Street, which was pretty wide open. All of the closed streets, all over town were watched over by soldiers wearing fatigues. They were stationed in the metro too. They were pleasant and trying to be helpful but mostly just stood around looking tough.

My plan was to head for a bathroom break at the National Portrait Gallery at F and 7th, but we were delightfully waylaid at the NY Avenue Presbyterian Church (at 12th street), where they were offering hot coffee and tea on the street, and were literally inviting people in to use their bathrooms and warm up in their parish hall. They said they had never done this before on inauguration day, but thought they might make it a tradition. We stayed there for about an hour, talking with visitors from all over, watching the official Inaugural luncheon on their big screen TV and getting a lovely and totally unexpected concert by a group of African singers.

We headed down to 4th and Constitution, where I'd watched many inauguration parades in the past, only to find a throng heading in the opposite direction - always a bad sign. We learned that "Obama had already passed by," but we continued on to see the rest of the parade and ended up with a perfect vantage point - standing on abandoned plastic folding chairs right where the parade started. We watched about a half of it, I'd say, before it started getting cold and dark and I figured we should leave quickly to avoid a rush in the metro. I always love hearing the rousing Sousa marches. It reminds me of all the parades and band concerts I'd gone to with my Dad.

We got home without a hitch around 6:15 and traded stories with the other folks who re-converged there. We watched the festivities again on the TV videotape Art had made of the whole day and also tuned in on the live activities.

I didn't realize how exhausted I was until I fell asleep 11:30 and slept all the way through until morning – unusual for me. I had been too excited to sleep much the night before.

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 06:41 AM   #2
capn chris
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2586
Send a message via AIM to capn chris Send a message via Yahoo to capn chris
That was nice, Rich. Lynn and I watched from home. However, we did see a friend and colleague march by the Pres. reviewing stand just after 6p!!!! He is in the 54th Massachusetts Infantry re-enactment unit, a group of DC African-Americans in Union uniforms. They were invited to be in the parade. Pretty cool to see our friend in the parade by the White House.
capn chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 06:44 AM   #3
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
150 million bucks down the drain!
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 11:37 AM   #4
tom41
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6363
amen Will!!
tom41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 12:24 PM   #5
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
Thanks, Rich, for posting your sister's great report. I really enjoyed reading a first hand account. It was almost like being there.

Pam
bob n pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 12:47 PM   #6
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Have been to 3 Inaugurations but one was canceled, by a True American Hero. Yes I think $150 million was wasted. Could have been used much better. I think Presidents should be sworn in at the White House. President Bush spent $40 million and probably had just as good a Inauguration, but I think that was to much also. I see were there is already a investigation requested by Sen Feinstein. GBY.....

P.S. Blog gave people a little of what goes on. But if there had been 4 million people there if would have been terrible, you wouldn't have been able to move.

My Statement about the Inauguration being canceled was wrong the Parade was what was canceled due to the extreme cold. I'm sorry for the mistake.
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 01:07 PM   #7
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Execpt that the 150 million story is not true or accurate. The facts are out here if one will take the time to look it up.

http://mediamatters.org/items/200901180003

http://mediamatters.org/columns/200901170003

there are many more sources out there.. and so it begins......
Old 01-22-2009, 01:35 PM   #8
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Rich,

Thanks for the first hand report from your sister. Interesting reading.

Delaine and Lindy,

And just who would be "the" True American Hero?

Given the circumstances I think $150 million is very reasonable and if it cost twice that it would be worth it!

Yes, Rich, "and it begins"!

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 01:58 PM   #9
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Thank your sister for us Rich. She did a wonderful job of capturing the moment. I am a die-hard republican but look forward to seeing what the new President can do. He sure has his work cut out for him and he will get my prayers.

Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 02:10 PM   #10
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
I enjoyed reading about the day from someone who was there. Thanks for sharing that Rich.

It was a great day for our country, no matter what your politics, the power was passed peacefully, basically uneventfully, from one man/party to the next.

WOW, as they say!!
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 03:18 PM   #11
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

Execpt that the 150 million story is not true or accurate. The facts are out here if one will take the time to look it up.

http://mediamatters.org/items/200901180003

http://mediamatters.org/columns/200901170003

there are many more sources out there.. and so it begins......
Yes, you are correct. The $150 million figure may not be correct. I did see where ABC Business News said the cost might reach $170,000,000.
Old 01-22-2009, 03:49 PM   #12
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
I too rich, like to thank you and your sister for the first hand account of a very eventful day in our nations history. Anyone can say want they want,but to WANT to run for president in this day has my backing,no matter what party they may be. We all need to stand together in this mess we are in and show the rest of the world just how great we are. Hopefully,the petty politics and comments will slow, so the rest of the world will once again stand behind us.
racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 08:01 PM   #13
harleyrider
Montana Master

M.O.C. #627
Good readimg Rich thanks.I for one am very excited about OUR new president.He sure has a lot on his plate to straighten out and correct.I wish him well.I wonder if he got any real sleep the first night in the White House???
harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 01:50 AM   #14
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
This is the actual article from ABC Business news http://abcnews.go.com/Business/Inaug...6665946&page=1

The Bush Inauguration cost about the same.. If the same numbers are used. The issue is truth and fact. The issue is always about truth and fact. Information , no matter what the subject, is so easy to document instead of repeating distorted information. Once we are presented the facts in he proper perspective and context we can make up our own minds. The issue is not should the money no matter where it comes from be spent. The issue is truth and fact.

Inauguration balls and parades have been canceled or trimmed down for one reason or another over the years but I find no record of a canceled Inauguration..Actually by the constitution the New President and VP assume power at 12 Noon, Jan 20th swearing in or not.
Old 01-23-2009, 01:59 AM   #15
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
As a Canadian watching from the ouside I must say that was quite the celebration you folks just had and good for you! Everyone, not just Americans, certainly have enjoyed absorbing the feelings of new hope and change. On the down side of things a 150+ million dollar celebration..., just rubs me the wrong way no matter what, but hey, I guess that wasn't our tax dollars being spent.
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 02:22 AM   #16
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

This is the actual article from ABC Business news http://abcnews.go.com/Business/Inaug...6665946&page=1

The Bush Inauguration cost about the same.. If the same numbers are used. The issue is truth and fact. The issue is always about truth and fact. Information , no matter what the subject, is so easy to document instead of repeating distorted information. Once we are presented the facts in he proper perspective and context we can make up our own minds. The issue is not should the money no matter where it comes from be spent. The issue is truth and fact.

Inauguration balls and parades have been canceled or trimmed down for one reason or another over the years but I find no record of a canceled Inauguration..Actually by the constitution the New President and VP assume power at 12 Noon, Jan 20th swearing in or not.
Why bring up Bush? We're in the worst economic nightmare in many, many years, and spend that kind of money on festivities? Wonder if the millions spent includes disposing of all the trash left behind. Probably not. Well, we can just borrow more money from China, and our descendants can worry about it. I'm sure not gonna worry myself; in fact, I think I'll just go fishing.
Old 01-23-2009, 02:30 AM   #17
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I think I'll just go fishing.".. Now that Will is a great idea...Me too..
Old 01-23-2009, 02:37 AM   #18
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Everything that I have read says that the 2004 inauguration cost $40-42 million. That just does not equate to the cost increase for the 2008 inauguration. Of course, there was a lot more griping about it in 2004.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 03:13 AM   #19
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Rich your are correct no inauguration has been canceled and I stand corrected. I have no problem saying I wrong. But the parade was canceled, and thats fact I was there. As for President Bush inauguration the cost was around $40 to $50 million not a $150 million plus. I have been unable yet to find who was doing all the crying about what the cost was for President Bush inaugurtation. Point is you nor I can stop this mess, until we change the way our money is being spent. They are totally out of control there. But I do know this we in America haven't been attack since 9/11. Just another day in Paradise thanks to our Military and the previous Commander in Chief. GBY...
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 03:42 AM   #20
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
I think it was disgusting to spend that much money when so many people are hurting financially in this country. Lots of hungry people in the USA. Losing their jobs and homes.
Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote