Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 06-07-2005, 10:50 AM   #1
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
fridge temperature adjustment

How do I adjust the temperature of fridge on 2004 Montana 3295?

Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 11:03 AM   #2
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Dustytuu

Our 2004 3295RK was built about June 1, 2003, we have NO adjustments on the temp of the fridge. There is that humidity switch (open freezer, look up, it is on the "ceiling" of the inside shroud of the freezer compartment, which does contain the dripping when the humidity and heat are high.

But, watch out, if that humidity switch is not turned off, and you unhook from shore power, WITHOUT a battery disconnect, you will run down that battery real fast!

(And, if I have my facts messed up, ha ha, nothing new there, the others will be along in a while to sweetly correct me!)

Carol
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 11:33 AM   #3
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
Our's also has no temp settings
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 11:50 AM   #4
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142
Dusty, Someone just mentioned this to my husband. I cannot remember where it is exactly at, but they said on the outside of the fridge there is somewhere to adjust the temp. I will ask my husband later and post again for you.
campbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 12:05 PM   #5
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
If you have the Americana (not the Americana Plus) that many of us have there is no "official" way to adjust the temperature. However, someone posted on MOC how to do it and it works. In the fridge, on the far right fin at the top of the fridge compartment (not the freezer) there is a white slide with a wire. Move that slide upwards for colder, down for warmer.

We just had our refrigerator replaced under warranty by Dometic. There are two differences in the new one. One is the black surround instead of gray. The other is that on the inside wall next to that slide is a graphic that shows up for colder, down for warmer. That seems to confirm this method of changing the thermostat setting.

During our recent tour of the Montana factory I noticed every single refrigerator has the temperature control on the outside, next to the on/off and gas switches and lights. I think this was the Americana Plus but it appears this is now the standard refrigerator.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 12:20 PM   #6
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
You are right Steve, I remember that part now!

And, I had heard that all the new units had a different frig, one that has temp adjustments.

Boy, those running changes will really get us, ha ha, wonder how many of them there have been since you bought yours, till, say, when campbud bought theirs??? I know there are a few just between your build date and ours! (Flat floor, larger basement, NO, I am not rubbing it in! )

Carol
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 01:21 PM   #7
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
Thanks all. We will check the slider thing. We have a slider thing at the top of the fridge, inside. We have been moving that but haven't seen much difference. Maybe our temperature thermometer is off. It is registering around 30 degrees. Just don't want anything to freeze in there on next vacation.
Thanks again.
Dusty
Old 06-07-2005, 03:10 PM   #8
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142
Dusty and Don, Steve is talking about what I heard. Asked my husband and he said it was in last months "Highways" magazine(he thinks it was that one...might be off a month! LOL)
campbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 03:17 PM   #9
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
Thanks........ Will look for last months magazine.
Old 06-08-2005, 10:54 AM   #10
Montana_2753
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2753
FYI:

Steve et al are correct about "adjusting" the temperature. Extreme right fin placement is coldest and less cold as you move left. Two other things that have helped with my refrigerator:

1. Battery operated fan placed inside to circulate air to provide more even temperature. Got mine at CW, but should be available at other RV places.
2. Had a 12V fan installed behind refrigerator to circulate air to make it more efficient. There is an ON/Off switch and a thermostat control that activates the fan when compartment temperature gets up to around 105F. Had this installed because I'll be in very high temps during the summer.

Bruce
Montana_2753 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 11:26 AM   #11
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Bruce's point about the fans is well taken. I haven't tried the internal fan but have heard they do help. Adding an external fan is a good idea if your refrigerator is not in a slide. If it is in a slide it probably already has the external fan from the factory. I'm not sure the reason for this but have heard it has to do with not being able to vent it out the roof. Those in the slide have two vents on the outside wall plus the fan and those not in a slide have one vent on the wall, one on the roof, and no fan. Or so I understand.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 05:30 PM   #12
ronstan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1536
We have a 2004 3295 and our reefer has a setting on the outside of fridge to set from cold to colder If I remember right it goes from 1-9. Don't know what model it is. Will look tomorrow. It's dark outside and the boogy man might get me.
ronstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 05:04 PM   #13
Montana_2230
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2230
I wired a 12 volt 5 inch computer cooling fan to the frig light circuit. I also put a small on/off micro switch in the plus lead and attached it to the fan. This really works well and distributes the cold air all over the compartment. I located the fan on the bottom shelf.
Montana_2230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 05:04 PM   #14
Montana_2753
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2753
Question:

At Wal-Mart and Target you can buy a clock and electronic thermometer (battery operated) that is used to monitor inside and outside temperature using a wireless sensor. One model will even keep track and record the high and low temperatures. Cost is around $20.00. What would you all think of using one of these to monitor the refrigerator's temperature? Pretty sure the temperature range is sufficient to keep track of the lower temperatures.

Bruce
Montana_2753 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 05:55 AM   #15
jpkelpe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2780
We have a thermometer that installs inside and the outside screen monitors outside and inside temperatures. It has a little box to mount in the refer and very small wire that comes out of the frig to the outside "guage". Don't know the brand of it but it seemed to really work nice when we first used it over Memorial Day Weekend. It was given to us so I don't know where it came from .
jpkelpe is offline   Reply With Quote