Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 01-22-2023, 04:45 PM   #1
CajunRambler
Established Member

M.O.C. #29737
Affinity Rv and Frame flex repair

I hope this gets posted, the administration did not post my last attempt, i will copy this post to a couple of groups on Facebook just in case it is removed here on this group. I have a 2022 3121RL. First I was very disappointed to have the dreaded frame flex crack but did get it repaired at Affinity RV. I will say I was disappointed as the problem has been on going since 2018 in Montana line 5th wheels. Why would they not weld the studs on all 4 sides, add the gussets, and add blocking in the manufacturer process. This is going on 5 years of frame flex cracking and they still only weld studs on 2 sides. Affinity RV group restored my faith in Montana line, he told me grand design denied a warranty claim on a solitude less than a year old with the frame flex crack. He also said Montana approves almost every claim no matter what it is, all the others cancel the warranty if you are full time. Also Montana has approved frame flex crack warranty repair on 2 and 3rd owners, he said no other manufacturer does that. I said my next camper was not going to be a Montana but I was wrong, I will stick with the best in the business. Affinity is the first time I have seen good customer service in years, I was absolutely amazed with these guys. They fixed the frame flex crack, freeze protected the camper, changed 2 wet bolts, fixed a tank sensor that was not working, repaired a manufacturing issue with the paint and only charged me $168. It would have been $140 but I wanted 4 extra wet bolts to have as spares, the owner wanted to give me the wet bolts but I insisted on paying for them. He sat and talked to us for an hour and gave us great tips about how to avoid common issues in 5th wheels. What a great group of people!!! I have to say, if you buy a camper from Tiara RV sales in Elkhart, expect a purchase only and NO service after the sale.

CajunRambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 04:54 PM   #2
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
This reminds me of a camper dealer near us. I know a young woman that works there. She works in the repair shop and said the Keystone campers were the best they sold, gave the least trouble and Keystone was the best to work with and stood behind them the best.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 05:08 PM   #3
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
Affinity is the BEST!!!
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 05:12 PM   #4
CajunRambler
Established Member

M.O.C. #29737
Absolutely, I will drive cross country to get my camper repaired at affinity, we came from Montana to have it repaired in Goshen.
Old 01-22-2023, 05:49 PM   #5
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunRambler View Post
First I was very disappointed to have the dreaded frame flex crack but did get it repaired at Affinity RV. I will say I was disappointed as the problem has been on going since 2018 in Montana line 5th wheels. Why would they not weld the studs on all 4 sides, add the gussets, and add blocking in the manufacturer process. This is going on 5 years of frame flex cracking and they still only weld studs on 2 sides.
Great story about service from Affinity and Keystone/Montana.
One item I have a question on - I believe “frame flex” has been an issue going back more years than 2018. I searched this forum for “frame flex” threads and they go back to 2007. Maybe others can add information for my frame flex question.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DEFCF1ED-2B82-4909-AA89-C98E50065247.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	205.4 KB
ID:	13971  
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 05:52 PM   #6
CajunRambler
Established Member

M.O.C. #29737
Wow I did not know it went back that far. Why not implement the fix in the manufacturer process, Montana builds their own walls in their walls plant. Just upsets me because we have to give up our camper to have it fixed!
Old 01-22-2023, 07:20 PM   #7
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunRambler View Post
I hope this gets posted, the administration did not post my last attempt, i will copy this post to a couple of groups on Facebook just in case it is removed here on this group.
I can assure you no one on this forum deleted, cancelled or removed this or any other Post you have made here.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 07:37 PM   #8
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
I had the old REAL frame flex in my 2006. This is in the area at the front where the frame goes up, then forward again. The joints in the angles break and then the front will move up and down depending on whether the camper is on jacks or the truck.

From what I understand, the new flex is around the front slides and cracks show up on the side near the corner of the slide opening. Same principle but not on such a serious nature as the whole front end flopping around.
I also had flex on my 2013 Mountaineer. Not quite as bad at the front end. At the same time the studs at the rear near the bottom had broken loose which somehow allowed the back wall to slightly separate from the sidewalls.
So yes, flex has been around for a long time.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2023, 08:44 AM   #9
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
As long as they've been building trailers they've been dealing with frame flex. It's a general term referring to more then one area of the frame. They learn and get better as they go, why their not addressing the front nose frame flex issue is anyone guess. My dealership averages one a week. Job security? They're getting pretty good at performing the repair!
Old 01-23-2023, 05:09 PM   #10
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
Yeh, my dealer had a guy that did the repair often. The even had to order the aluminum studs for the back repair. I think they had it about a week for just the flex fix.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
Old 01-24-2023, 07:41 AM   #11
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
It's always nice to hear when someone reports a service center or an RV sales business that returns positive results. It's nice to hear your repairs were successful.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 10:29 AM   #12
CajunRambler
Established Member

M.O.C. #29737
Well it was about a year ago and it was when I was angry and really nothing good could have come from the post so it is best it did not stay up. I don’t know what happened and really don’t care, I am not upset about it but this post I was hoping to do 3 things, show Montana stands behind their product, Affinity is the best I have ever dealt with and does an amazing job, and just to inform that Tiara is sales only, very little if any support after the sale.
Old 01-24-2023, 03:03 PM   #13
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
I think others have stated and I re-iterate: The dealer pretty much is what makes a good brand. Good dealer - you think brand is good.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
Old 01-24-2023, 06:30 PM   #14
CajunRambler
Established Member

M.O.C. #29737
I guess I could have worded it better but the fix put out by Montana for the 3121 came out in may of 2018, why not incorporate that fix in the manufacturing process. It is such a short pony wall there is not much room for shear support and obviously they see that as the fix adds gussets to the aluminum studs, welds the studs on 4 sides, and adds 3 sets of blocking between the studs. In Feb 2022 they still only weld studs on 2 sides, no gussets or blocking!
Old 01-25-2023, 06:42 PM   #15
Mark7
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19032
Anyone know if frame flex was an issue (or could be) on my '04 3295RK? The rig is on good shape and I have never noticed any symptoms of this issue...
Mark7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 07:00 PM   #16
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark7 View Post
Anyone know if frame flex was an issue (or could be) on my '04 3295RK? The rig is on good shape and I have never noticed any symptoms of this issue...
Frame flex can occur at any time on any trailer. It all depends on how your trailer is used. If it gets a lot of miles on rough roads or if it's parked and used for full time. There are several different descriptions of frame flex. The most prominent currently is front of the 5'er at the bedroom slide corner. The 2004 frame had other frame issues but if you haven't seen anything by now I wouldn't worry. Just keep inspecting your rig.
Old 01-26-2023, 08:04 AM   #17
bshgto
Montana Master

M.O.C. #16013
[QUOTE=mlh;1267966]This reminds me of a camper dealer near us. I know a young woman that works there. She works in the repair shop and said the Keystone campers were the best they sold, gave the least trouble and Keystone was the best to work with and stood behind them the best.
Lynwood[/QUOTE

Not my experience, was lied to 3 times, call them out on it, no response. One girl hung up the phone when I proved she was lying. Denied frame flex repair under warranty, said I did it and never heard of that problem before. Dealer tried but denied warranty because Keystone wouldn`t pay, took unit home after 3 months and fixed it myself. The service Manager at dealer did not have the same option as your friends.
Pervious camper (same dealer) had the caulk out on front cap. Again, Keystone said they had never heard of that before and I didn`t wax it enough
so my fault even though my dealer had 2 other units in for the front cap to be painted. Dealer spent their own money (was told $1,500.00) to paint mine as Keystone denied the claim. I could go on but you get the picture. This is my last keystone. The new Alliance brand seems to be trying real hard and is cheaper. Saw them at the Hershey show, very nice.
F350 Ford Dually 4:10`s w/bags (payload 5595 lbs) Sumo Springs 63 gal aux tank
Reese Goosebox Mor/Ryde SRE 4000 X Factors Monroe shocks.... real smooth ride
bshgto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 08:45 AM   #18
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
My first frame flex (front main frame) happened on way to AK in 2012, but occurred in Washington. I called the dealer in Olympia (?) and they said they never heard of the front end flexing like that. And they said I could bring it in and drop it off in 2 or 3 days, and it would be another 4-5 days before they could even look at it. I couldn't wait that long, so canceled AK and carefully drove home to AZ.
Both of my flex issues occurred a year or 2 after a trip to AK. I don't suppose that had anything to do with it! LOL

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
Old 01-31-2023, 08:04 PM   #19
wed
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8174
Affinity is great sorry to hear that about elkart dealer
2020 3931 FB Legacy
wed is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags