Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Solar, Charging Systems, Batteries and Electrical
Click Here to Login

Old 01-18-2023, 01:43 PM   #1
MAWilsonPE
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26813
Simple AC Power Bypass

I currently have three boxes between the shore power coming into my rig and the breaker box that distributes that AC power within. Failure of any of these three systems could leave me with no AC shore power.

I have added a hardwire EMS surge protector box in front of the factory automatic transfer switch box (had to replace the ATS once already) which then feeds the Inverter/Charger in the the SuperSolar Flex system box.

Murphy has a special affinity for RV’s so I decided to add a second set of 50 amp twist plugs before the shore power goes into the EMS box. There was already a pair of plugs after the SSF box so now if anything goes wrong with any of these three sophisticated systems I can disconnect both and plug the shore power feed directly into the line going to the breaker box bypassing everything in between.

I had to purchase about 5 feet of the four conductor power cord to make it reach and the two mating 50 amp twist plugs but I take comfort knowing I can now bypass these systems in a pinch and go old school, shore power directly to the breakers, until repairs can be made.

I didn’t include any pictures but I hope my description is clear.

Happy Travels, Mike

MAWilsonPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2023, 01:59 PM   #2
Creeker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23094
Your by-pass is my ordinary every day connection.

I'm a firm believer that the Murphy ratio is in direct correlation to the amount of gadgets one has in use.

Good thinking on the by-pass though.
Creeker is offline   Reply With Quote