Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > Archived - MOC WEB SITE & COMPUTER TECH HELP > Archived MOC Geek Squad
Click Here to Login

Old 09-22-2004, 08:42 AM   #1
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
Popup ads

Why is it when I am on this forum I keep getting popup ads? This is much more of a problem here than elsewhere. Is anyone else having this trouble?

8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2004, 09:40 AM   #2
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
I have never gotten a popup ad on the MOC. I suspect you have some "ADware" type programs on you computer. Get the program "Spybot" and "Adaware" and run them. That should fix the problem. Just do a search with those names and download them ... they are free. Good luck. HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2004, 10:03 AM   #3
FireTruckerWife
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1629
specifically:
1. Spybot-Search and Destroy free at:
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/index.html

and
2. Adaware free at:
http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/

Both free and both very good to keep your system free of ads.

Another free program would be Google free toolbar which has a very good pop-up blocker
http://www.google.com/toolbar
FireTruckerWife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2004, 12:27 PM   #4
D and M On The Road
Montana Master

M.O.C. #49
Good advice there Hamrad. I use Spyware Blaster and Spybot weekly on my machine. Besides having my Norton Anti-virus set to automatically run every week, I also manually prompt it whenever I think of it just to make sure it's up to date.

I just spent 9 hours (!!) fixing my son's computer. He let his Norton Antivirus expire and he was infected with 7 viruses and 2 worms. Norton's "800" customer service is located in INDIA and they really are of no help as their accents are too heavy to understand even though they speak english.

Firetrucker's wife advice of a pop-up blocker is excellent also. Pop-ups can drive a person C R A Z Y.

D and M On The Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2004, 04:55 PM   #5
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
Thanks for your replies. I ran both Adaware and Spybot before coming here and then I got 2 popup ads.
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2004, 06:10 PM   #6
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
I have not seen a pop up add since I joined MOC.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2004, 07:02 PM   #7
Northstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1757
I too have not seen any pop up adds since joining the MOC. Happyrving.....
Northstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2004, 07:16 PM   #8
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
If you haven't tried "HouseCall" at TrendMicro.com then I'd recommend it. It is free and it works great. It downloads a program to your PC and then checks and fixes any problems it finds. The program will update each time you go back to check it. It has really worked well for me. Good luck. HamRad
Old 09-22-2004, 07:21 PM   #9
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
If you haven't tried "HouseCall" at TrendMicro.com then I'd recommend it. It is free and it works great. It downloads a program to your PC and then checks and fixes any problems it finds. The program will update each time you go back to check it. It has really worked well for me. Good luck. HamRad
Old 09-23-2004, 02:14 AM   #10
Montana_152
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #152
Microsoft service pak 2 will take care of most of these annoying popups.
Be sure to run adware and back up your files before installing.
Montana_152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2004, 02:33 AM   #11
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
I also have never experienced a Pop-Up on the MOC. Take the advice of FireTruckerWife above and run some of those programs.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2004, 04:13 AM   #12
RVBUDDY
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1109
Never got a popup here.

One thing I do is when Spybot or Adware SE shows a problem sit is to go to Tools, Internet Options, Privacy, Press "edit" in the lower right. I then type in the problem site into the window and press block. Then I come on out.

Once you have it blocked in your browser and you tune to a website the browser will show a red minus sign on the lower bar if you are blocking. You can double click on it to see what your missing.

Takes a while to do. One site at a time but it is effective. I don't get hardly any popups except for the ones I havn't blocked in the browser. When I get a popup I run spybot and adware SE to determine which site is causing it. I clean it, then I block it in my browser. I quit using my popup blocker because it creates other problems.

Never got a popup from MOC.

Sounds like you need to clean up with spybot and adware SE. Your computer will run faster if you clean it up.
RVBUDDY is offline   Reply With Quote