Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > The Medic
Click Here to Login

Old 02-12-2010, 04:05 AM   #1
Leaseit
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5356
Persription Drug Plan

I'm am going to have a 65th birthday later this year and with that comes Medicare and all the other fine things.

Question is: I have heard that if your a Vet. you can register with the Vet. Administraton, and have that qualify as your Part D Plan??? anyone doing anything like that?

Also by using the VA for Drugs, whle trveling, if you need refils or the like, you can look up an VA hospital with a pharmicy and get your drugs right there without any problem. True? Is this right?

Randy
Darn i hate getting older.....

Leaseit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 06:31 AM   #2
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Leaseit

Randy
Darn i hate getting older.....
Beats the alternative.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 06:47 AM   #3
greener
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7882
Check with the V.A. I believe there are income limits to get any kind of coverage.
greener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 09:19 AM   #4
DonandJudy_12
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3206
Go to the VA facility near your home base and register- They will give you a physical and assign you to a staff doctor- the staff doc will write a script for you- The first script will be filled and given to you- All future scripts will be mailed to you- Each script will be for 45 days- You can visit other VA facilities but be prepared to spend the day or get a future appointment unless you have a critical emergency- The care you receive will be first rate but a bit impersonal- Good luck in your efforts- Don
DonandJudy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 02:48 PM   #5
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
As Don said, you must first register with a VA center of your choice. After that your rx's come from there. Be warned though, the VA does not have a large formulary, so if you are on certain meds you may not get them from the VA. I just went thru this. I would advise registering at a large center as they should have a larger formulary. Also, if you do not have a service connected rating, you will be required to pay the cost share for your meds. My DW is a 60% service connected vet and she has been receiving her meds this way for the last three year. They have to be mailed to our Anchorage address and we get them forwarded by our service. Getting care on the road is beginning to be a different thing. The only center that gets paid for your treatment is your home center. Some of the smaller centers are not allowing you to be seen, unless it is "urgent care", as they do not get reimbursement. I just went thru this also. You can get a 90 day supply from the VA as DW has been doing this for the three years. DW has had no problem getting meds. She calls a couple of weeks before running out and they send them out pretty quickly. Again, they will send to your registered address and you have to get them from there. You cannot keep changing addresses for them to send to you so you must work that out at your home. This info, is, of course, if you are fulltiming as we are. You cannot just drop into any VA facility and get your meds, unless you have run out and declare it "urgent care", then you will only get a short supply. I don't know if they qualify as a Part D plan as I don't deal with that. I get my meds under Tricare for Life..... Hope this helps.
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 05:27 AM   #6
DonandJudy_12
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3206
As I understand the process, the VA files on your Medicare plan just as the private sector does- The VA took copies of my Medicare and supplement cards to file for recovery from Medicare and Blue Cross/Shield- Welcome on board- Don
DonandJudy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 02:30 PM   #7
Leaseit
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5356
Phil, Don and others, thanks for the information. Very much appreciated. i will look into filing with VA for the drug side of it, but income of course might be a problem.
Orv, your right. I'll just keep getting older please. haha

Randy
Leaseit is offline   Reply With Quote