Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > Archived - MOC WEB SITE & COMPUTER TECH HELP > Archived MOC Geek Squad
Click Here to Login

Old 03-11-2008, 03:07 PM   #1
brenkco
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8154
Router & Antenna

Perhaps this is a question for Alex, but I thought I would throw this out there...we are in an area in Northern California that the air cards just don't cover. I want to be able to extend my weekends by picking parks that have wifi so I can work.

This weekend is a perfect example of my problem/question. We were very close to the parks antenna, line of sight about 75'. Great reception in the front of the trailer, very poor in the rear of the rig at the desk where I wanted to work.

Is there an antenna that might improve reception in the parks and a router that would allow us both to use our laptops?

Thanks!

brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 03:40 PM   #2
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
I have had good luck using a "Hawking Wireless G USB Adapter with Removable Antenna model HWUG1" It comes with one antenna, but Hawking sell a range of high gain antennas that might work well in your situation. URL is: www.Hawkingtech.com

WiFi is great in theory, but in reality it is not all that good in the great outdoors.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 07:57 AM   #3
Jolu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7919
What is great about the USB adapter John has given you a link to as well as the Deliberant USB adapter http://www.deliberant.com/estore/web...or-radios.aspx you can get very creative and attach an outdoor antenna to them. Either a flat panel (Directional)or a Omni directional antenna (360 degree directional). I can personally tell you with a 16dbi flat panel antenna connected to one of these devices you can reach out and shake hands with hot spots over 1/2 mile.

Using a vinyl marine antenna mount you pick up at a boat shop for about $6 you can add a section of PVC for a mast for the antenna of your choice and you mount this to your ladder rack or the roof.

Then use an LMR 400 cable with a male N connector on one end and an RP-SMA connector on the other end to connect to the USB adapter. Or you can order a Male N to RP-SMA adapter and convert a male N to connect the USB adapter. The LMR cable can be ordered any length you need. Run the LMR cable into the RV (Your Choice for entry) and connect the USB adapter to the LMR Cable. At this point you could use an amplified USB cable to run to the computer (17 footer about $15.89). Try USBCable http://www.usb-cable.com/usb-extension-cables.html

With this setup you can probably get on to the network of a park even if you are out in the back forty. Another good thing about these USB adapters they come with a setup utility that makes it pretty easy to install and to get up and running. You don't need to know a lot about networking and assigning IP addresses etc.

I hope I didn't make this sound all that complicated. It really isn't. These adapters with a removable antenna just allows the use of an array of antennas connected to them.

JB
Jolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 10:54 AM   #4
brenkco
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8154
John & JB,
Thanks, this looks like what I need. I have found a few additional products that do what you describe. I am going to compare specs and decide. I will report back after I make my decision. As always....you help is the best! Thanks!!

Ken
brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 11:57 AM   #5
Jolu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7919
The link to Deliberant above would not work for me. To view the USB WiFi adapter for Deliberant go to Deliberant.com and choose Wireless Indoor Radios.
JB
Old 03-13-2008, 04:13 AM   #6
MikeM
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6892
Just remove the trailing comma from the link. Here's the corrected version:

http://www.deliberant.com/estore/web...or-radios.aspx
MikeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 02:19 PM   #7
Jolu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7919
Thanks MikeM, that did it. You are on the ball.
JB