Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > Archived - MOC WEB SITE & COMPUTER TECH HELP > Archived MOC Geek Squad
Click Here to Login

Old 01-19-2008, 05:47 AM   #1
bullroc3
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7122
Turning Off Virus Software

I have a Dell computer running Windows XP. I have the AVG Security system with Anti-Virus and a whole lot of other stuff keeping a watchful eye on the insides of the machine!! I just purchased a new Epson CX9400 4 in 1 printer. In the instructions, it says to turn off your virus protection when installing the software for the printer/copier/scanner/fax. I can't figure out how to do that. I can get to a screen that says that it is "ON" but no idea how to turn it "OFF" for installation.

Do you really need to turn it off for installation?

Old 01-19-2008, 05:59 AM   #2
firetrucker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2165
To turn off AVG, launch the control center by right clicking on the icon in the system tray on the right side of the taskbar on your desktop. Click on Program in the upper left of the AVG window and click on exit. You can restart it by rebooting your computer or from the program listing.

Many virus programs object to some aspects of program insallation, and some will actually prevent the installation process from completing successfully. As long as you are comfortable with the software you are installing, then turn off the virus program.

Bob
firetrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 06:45 AM   #3
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Bob is right. A lot of the antivirus programs think that everything you are installing is an intrusion and they will slow down installations. I usually disable my antivirus software when installing any new software. Then I run a scan just to be sure everything is okay.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 07:11 AM   #4
bullroc3
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7122
Thanks Bob and Orv. Following your instructions, the installation went off without a hitch.

I was at a loss as to how to turn the AVG off. Then I thought, there is probably help on the MOC forum. Sure enough!!! When I told my wife where I got an answer, she couldn't believe me. Mighty smart people out there ready to help.

Thanks again.