Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Pet Palace
Click Here to Login

Old 04-04-2007, 03:06 PM   #1
GlobalDouglas
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6376
Dog ridin' in monty?

My next purchase is likely to be a Weimaraner puppy. I've been thinking about it for years and the time seems right. The question is where should he travel when he's BIG: with me in TV (have King Ranch with 4 captain chairs- not ideal for a large dog) or in the Monty? I'll be "livin' and travelin'" in Monty for 3 months during each summer. Thanks for your thoughts!

GlobalDouglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 03:46 PM   #2
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
I dont see why not, but I would crate him when you have him in the trailer though. get him aclamated to traviling in a crate when he is young.
Old 04-04-2007, 04:25 PM   #3
lwcdg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4726
Doug this is where our Collies are. We check on them everytime we stop. If there is a problem we give the "problem" a ride in the cab with us so we can watch. Once we are satisfied no major problem its back in crate in the Monty.
Where we can cheat is that Pam (veterinarian) always carries a pharmacy for these guys.
HTH
Chuck
lwcdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 10:00 AM   #4
BillyRay
Montana Master

M.O.C. #607
My animals are like our kids. I wouldn't ever think of putting them back there. They are too spoiled!
BillyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 11:34 AM   #5
firetrucker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2165
We started out putting our two Siberian Huskies in the back of the rig, but installed a baby monitor in with them so we could keep track of what was going on. They were in their kennels, their home away from home, so we figured they'd be comfortable.

After the first stop, they finished the trip (and all future trips) in the truck with us. We could hear things bouncing around and hear their distress. It was as uncomfortable for us as it was for them.

Bob
firetrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 04:56 PM   #6
Rocky2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2840
We would never leave our pets in the Monty for traveling.
When I go in there after we park - sometimes it smells like exhaust (especially if it has taken a while to get parked) and that in enclosed areas can make you or your pets very sick.

They just fight over the space in the back seat - we built a filler for the hole between the front and back seats, so they have that whole area and no hole to fall in. They like to joust for the middle to be co-pilot.
Rocky2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 06:33 PM   #7
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
No people, no pets in 5er. Period.

They go in Big Butt are crated (crates are seatbelted in).

There is no option available in this matter.

I have some very graphic reasons why if anyone wants to hear them.

It is our duty as owners to protect them. This is our way.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 06:24 PM   #8
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
Before I would put my fur buddy in the Monty for a ride, I would ride back there myself. After going through the good bad and the ugly I would then make the choice of keeping them in the RV or the truck. I have seen my dishes etc. in my RV tossed about in the cabinets so my cat Alex will not be taking any trips in the Monty unless it is parked.

I agree with Carol 100% that you need to secure the pet carrier in the tow vehicle. You don't want to be hit in the head by a pet crate if you are in an accident. If the pet isn't secured they can become a weapon in the cab of your vehicle. Worse than that you could have a pet die because of a wreck even if they were in the cab with you.

My motto is think ahead....RVing is a great life style. You love your pet and want them to love Rv'ing too. Don't short change their protection because you have to spend money on it, or that it cramps your day. If you travel with a pet then you are taking on a responsibility of a beating heart that needs to be crated or let out earlier than you want to get back from your sight seeing trip. I own a cat that travels with us just because I don't want to be tied to a dog that needs to be let out.

After owning a boarding kennel for 27 years, we will be starting our travels. Alex, the cat, will be in a secured harness with a seat belt, or be have his carrier secured with a seat belt. I have heard horror stories from clients that have had fender benders while in transport to the kennel. My fur buddies will be in a carrier strapped in with a seat belt.

Colleen
Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 06:11 AM   #9
Tom Gina 06
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5993
When Mr. Bailey gets an attitude once in a while. He gets to go into the back for attitude adjustment. Just a few miles or even across the parking lot he comes out with a much better demeaner. Gina rode in the back of our SOB once with the kids just to try it out. After a few miles she had enough. We had radios when we tried this, now everyone rides in the cab. Just wish I could get Mr. Bailey to drive the rig so I could take a nap on his big bed in the back seat. Get pretty jealous when I see his big foot sticking through the center counsel of the truck and hear him snoring.
Tom Gina 06 is offline   Reply With Quote