Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Pet Palace
Click Here to Login

Old 04-03-2007, 09:42 AM   #1
Roamingusa
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4995
Everyones "fur kids" OK ?

What a mess with the pet food recall. I hope everyones dogs and cats are OK. Thank goodness what I feed Miss Kitty wasn't (last update) on the list.
A friend of mine is making her own cat food. Won't work for me, the "queen of the Monty" only eats dry food.
Keeping my fingers crossed for everyone!
Chris

Roamingusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 09:52 AM   #2
refocused
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6586
Our Murphy kitty is fine - he eats Special Kitty, wet and dry, from Wally World and they haven't pulled it off the shelf yet (just the pouches were contaminated, they say) plus he eats a lot of venison from last fall's deer season - so far, so good! Hope everybody else's pets are OK -
refocused is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 10:17 AM   #3
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Greta seems as ornery as ever, so I think she's doing okay. She prefers to eat everything but dog food anyway!
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 11:24 AM   #4
Chuck and Carol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1011
Took my little guy up to the vet's for his operation and they asked me if I fed my cat's Pounce. Then they wanted to know which kind of dry they ate. I thought dry was safe.
Wish I knew how to make my own pet food.

Carol
Chuck and Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 12:53 PM   #5
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
So far mine are ok, and they are all on prescription diets.

HOWEVER, I am running low on food, and went to the vet in Mission Texas where I had been filling my scrips (these are WRITTEN scrips, signed by my vets) and they refused to fill the scrips without seeing the dogs first.

Now, I guess I could have gotten away with taking in 2 of the dogs, but, what next, will they need to run tests to verify that my kids need scrip food??? And, what will they charge me for the privledge of filling that scrip?? An office call?? or two??

Last time this happened to me I was in Virginia and NOT ONE VET would fill my written scrips without seeing the dog, oh, every office call fee was at least $45.00.

So, last time I did without, but we were only 6 days out of Michigan. This time I think I have enough for Mr. G (allergy food) and know I do not have enough for the other 3, which is kidney crystal cleaning and maintenance food. SOOO, I am back to cooking my own food, for the trip back to Michigan as we are about 17 days out at this point.

There may be recipes on line for those interested, but I DO NOT KNOW of a good source, and with all the screaming and yelling about dog food, I am not sure I would trust anyone, as they may be johnny come latelys??

If you want to cook your own food, it seems that most of them are combinations of rice and chicken or hamburger that has been cooked. BUT FIRST CHECK WITH YOUR VET!!!! Mine has approved the kidney cleansing one I am using.

Oh, a friend of mine that works for a vet in Florida tells me they can get fined $10,000. if they give out a scrip without seeing the dog, I am unclear if that is with a written scrip or me trying to just tell them I need it.

Point is, this requirement to see the dog/cat first is becoming more widespread and for those of us that travel with pets with special needs/meds, this may present difficulities to you. Just a heads up.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 01:48 PM   #6
Roamingusa
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4995
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Chuck and Carol

Took my little guy up to the vet's for his operation and they asked me if I fed my cat's Pounce. Then they wanted to know which kind of dry they ate. I thought dry was safe.
Wish I knew how to make my own pet food.

Carol
Carol,
Try this link.
http://www.healthrecipes.com/pet_supply.htm
Chris
Old 04-04-2007, 01:45 AM   #7
Chuck and Carol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1011
I can do those receipes. But ---- what is kibble?

Carol
Old 04-04-2007, 03:43 AM   #8
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Someone sent me a note yesterday saying that Pounce for kitties could be a problem. It sure is a scary situation.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 08:00 AM   #9
Roamingusa
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4995
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Chuck and Carol

I can do those receipes. But ---- what is kibble?

Carol
Hi Carol,
I had to look it up and it looks to me like it is dry dog/cat food ! Kinda defeats the purpose huh?
Chris
Old 04-04-2007, 08:02 AM   #10
Chuck and Carol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1011
When I first read the ingredient kibble --- all I could think of was kibbles and bits. Yes, does defeat the purpose if you still have to use dry dog food.

Carol
Old 04-04-2007, 11:10 AM   #11
ggranch
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6588
So far, so good. Cookie was using some Alpo Select Cuts mixed in with her Pedigree kibbles and had a very upset stomach and diahrea for a few days, but was also on Chemo for her Cushings at the time so we don't know which one set her off. She is much better now (much lighter too!) Hope none of our friends lost thier pets over this. A side bar: The pet food is regulated better than our people food. Think about it!
ggranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 04:42 PM   #12
FireTruckerWife
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1629
Carole: if you use Waltham Renal Diet in the dark blue label., I could mail you a 5# bag if it would help. My Tzu zoo is on that one.
FireTruckerWife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 04:45 PM   #13
FireTruckerWife
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1629
so far, we're ok too. But we had a good supply in before the problem arose, and our food is not on the list (Kirkland or Costco chicken and rice), but we're starting to get low on supply, so hopefully this gets cleared up before we need more.
Old 04-04-2007, 05:01 PM   #14
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
Our dogs are both on prescription dog food. One for the kidney stones and other one a different kind for something else. So far they are fine. They both eat dry food and the cat eats dry food.
The vet told me this week to not feed cat the treats he was eating, was made by Purina. They are called Aquarium-yums.
Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 02:36 AM   #15
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Sharon,

Not sure which Carole you were referring to, if you meant that lovely offer of a bag of food for me, thanks much, but, we are fine, the kids love the food I cooked for them. I still have enough of the canned variety of this scrip, what with the chicken and rice combo I make them, we will get home just fine.

If your offer was for Chuck and Carol, well, I'll hush and go on my way, the road calls today.

Thanks again, nice offer.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 02:55 AM   #16
Chuck and Carol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1011
No, it wasn't for me. So far my dogs are on a "normal" diet. Last little dog was a diabetic and we had trouble in Hershey getting his food. Finally did at the emergency clinic. They were awful nice and didn't ask to see him. Just the phone number of our vet here at home.
I gave them that and they gave me the canned food he was on.

Carol
Old 04-05-2007, 07:03 AM   #17
FireTruckerWife
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1629
Yes, I was talking to the Yorkie momma Carol. Glad you're set until you get home. I agree with you about Vets and their requirements. I would think a hand written script from your vet should suffice.

However, when we had a problem in Benson, AZ with kidneys, the vet bill was about 1/2 of what it would have been here at home for the same xray and office visit. We used to be a small town, but obviously we now rate the big bucks for the vet.
Old 04-06-2007, 05:06 PM   #18
Rocky2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2840
Our babies are all okay.
We feed them Nutro Natural Choice Senior.
The girl dog is not quite a senior but wants what the boys eat.
So she gets a can of Alpo with her dry stuff at night.

We went through all the cans of Alpo and checked the codes per the companys web site and all is okay - threw the list away - need to go back in and print again so can take it shopping.

I also hope everyones babies are happy and healthy.

Laura
Rocky2 is offline   Reply With Quote